jailbreak

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I just came from Android myself. All of my previous phones have been rooted with a custom rom installed. From what I have personally seen of jailbreak, you will not get the same type of UI customization with an iPhone that you do with an Android.

Opinions will vary, and in mine it's just a waste of time.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I just came from Android myself. All of my previous phones have been rooted with a custom rom installed. From what I have personally seen of jailbreak, you will not get the same type of UI customization with an iPhone that you do with an Android.

Opinions will vary, and in mine it's just a waste of time.

I disagree that it's a waste of time. My 4s was jailbroke as soon as I could and remained jailbroke. There are a lot of things you can do with a JB'd phone that you can't with it just stock. For instance, the ability to have more than FOUR icons on the bottom dock! I hate that! The ability to move icons around w/o them being automatically aligned.. I could go on and on and on.... just waitng for a 9.3 JB to roll out!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I disagree that it's a waste of time.

And that's OK. It was my personal experience with Jailbreak.

This is my previous Android. I re-created this from scratch in Photoshop, sliced the images and then used a few Android apps to put it all together on my phone and make everything clickable. When I can make my iPhone look like this then Jailbreaking will be worth it to me.

BeachWalk.png

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry, where I used to make themes for Crackberry, I know all about the goodness of customization... I have the 6s and there are so many things that I was used to with my JB 4s that I can't do now, and it's a bit frustrating...

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The only reason I would ever consider Jailbreaking would be to block ads in apps. I would rather lick a toiletbowl than deal with one single advertisement. Number 1 pet peeve of all time... ads.

lucas.scott

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I would ever consider Jailbreaking would be to block ads in apps. I would rather lick a toiletbowl than deal with one single advertisement. Number 1 pet peeve of all time... ads.

Agree - mobile ads are getting out of hand. Hell, that's the main reason I root Android devices now as well. And unfortunately, content blockers are starting to do less and less on iOS.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I too despise ads...but I don't think I despise them THAT much. :tongue: Lol

If I could make my iPhone look like the picture above I would jailbreak immediately. As of now though the "advantages" of jailbreak aren't enough for me to do it. On android I was constantly rooting, flashing, modding and all that. I wore myself out of it. My iPhone does about 95% of what I want/need. The other 5% either can't be done even with jailbreak or just isn't worth it.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I too am getting less interested (desperate?:) in jailbreaking. Or I should say I do not feel the need of it as much I used. I will still JB when the next untethered JB arrives. I have my 4s jailbroken, but the 6s is not (it came with the latest OS, dah :).

About the only reason for JB is around the phone. I want a clearly defined set of red and green buttons when it rings even on the lockscreen. Then the call filter. I use iBlacklist as I just cannot stand those lowly spam callers being able to leave voice mail. I set "accept and hangup" for all blocked numbers.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
About the only reason for JB is around the phone. I want a clearly defined set of red and green buttons when it rings even on the lockscreen. Then the call filter. I use iBlacklist as I just cannot stand those lowly spam callers being able to leave voice mail. I set "accept and hangup" for all blocked numbers.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I don't get spam phone calls (neither on my Washington state number for the years I had it, nor on my Illinois number). I've always added my numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry.

The only time I ever received spam text messages was when I was dumb enough to add my number to my Facebook account. The moment I removed it the spam texts stopped.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I don't get spam phone calls (neither on my Washington state number for the years I had it, nor on my Illinois number). I've always added my numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry.

The only time I ever received spam text messages was when I was dumb enough to add my number to my Facebook account. The moment I removed it the spam texts stopped.

Perhaps you are lucky. Over the last several years, I registered a bunch of numbers with DNC. It does seem to be working as the frequency of spam calls dropped significantly. I still receive 1 to 3 spam calls a month, which is not bad. I can always just pick and hangup manually, but I also see many posts in other forums that many spammers simply ignore the DNC. Those pesky window cleaners and other peddlers have mostly been taken care of, but most annoying spam callers today are those who use the first 6 digits of my number, and change the last 4 digits constantly, perhaps thinking that I never block my own phone number. They are usually travel related, such airlines and hotels (callers are just call centers). I of course hang them up by pressing the hangup button but they can still leave messages. It's like cat & mouse game, and it does aggravate me :).
My solution is use the wildcard numbers like xxx-xxx-* in my call blocker. This has taken care of them. What do they do next? :)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps you are lucky.

I also never give out my cell number to businesses. Well, I take that back. Amazon and UPS has it, since the majority of our shopping is done there. I like getting text messages with updates on my packages. Otherwise, no one else but friends has my cell. Everyone else gets the landline number.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps you are lucky. Over the last several years, I registered a bunch of numbers with DNC. It does seem to be working as the frequency of spam calls dropped significantly. I still receive 1 to 3 spam calls a month, which is not bad. I can always just pick and hangup manually, but I also see many posts in other forums that many spammers simply ignore the DNC. Those pesky window cleaners and other peddlers have mostly been taken care of, but most annoying spam callers today are those who use the first 6 digits of my number, and change the last 4 digits constantly, perhaps thinking that I never block my own phone number. They are usually travel related, such airlines and hotels (callers are just call centers). I of course hang them up by pressing the hangup button but they can still leave messages. It's like cat & mouse game, and it does aggravate me :).
My solution is use the wildcard numbers like xxx-xxx-* in my call blocker. This has taken care of them. What do they do next? :)

My cell phone company has been pretty good about not selling my number, and I have no spam calls. I did have a VoIP number through my home cable Internet, and got at least a spam call a day. I discontinued the service after a month.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My cell phone company has been pretty good about not selling my number, and I have no spam calls. I did have a VoIP number through my home cable Internet, and got at least a spam call a day. I discontinued the service after a month.

We're using VoipO. They don't sell your number, and the service is phenomenal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW