Anyone have T-Mobile in Ann Arbor/SE Michigan Area?

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone:

TL;DR - Title says it all. What are your thoughts on service quality in the Ann Arbor area in particular and SE Michigan in general?

Been on Verizon for a while now, and I am satisfied with their service. However, I could save a significant amount every month by switching to T-Mobile - more data, less money ftw.

The general perception is T-Mobile stinks when outside of major urban areas, as well as in buildings. But, with their "extended range" LTE, i.e., band 12 700 MHz service, those issues were supposed to improve. They've lit up band 12 in my area and all of Michigan according to both press releases and their coverage map. The Verizon 6S is compatible on TMo and supports band 12, and I'm not under contract or a device payment plan. While I could leave and just come back if it didn't work out, I'd rather not go through the hassle if not necessary.

So does anyone have any experience with T-Mobile in the area? Thanks in advance for your replies/thoughts.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok I have not been to your area, BUT I have been with both Verizon and T-Mobile for a good while and recently made the switch to all T-Mobile. 2 years ago was a MUCH different story than today. Yes Verizon was MUCH MUCH better, but T-Mobile has narrowed the gap considerably. For sure you will still find areas where you get service with Verizon and you don't with T-Mobile, but those spots are shrinking. T-Mobile is great in big cities and getting better outsides of them, and getting better inside buildings. Also in troublesome locations such as your office building or your home for a small deposit that you get back when you return the device, they can send you a signal booster.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Also in troublesome locations such as your office building or your home for a small deposit that you get back when you return the device, they can send you a signal booster.
I believe they have wifi calling as well, so you may not need the booster :)

I've noticed TMo coverage is expanding as well, which is good. May have to give them a shot sometime here in the D.C. area!