Hey guys. Just wondering if enabling the hey Siri mode, will it have any impact on your battery?
    03-06-2016 01:28 AM
    I think it does. When you turn on Lower Power Mode, it turns off Hey Siri.
    03-06-2016 01:29 AM
    I highly doubt it would. If it does, u wouldn't notice anything.
    03-06-2016 03:30 AM
    The M9 co-processor will stay active enough to listen for the phrase, and doing something typically takes more power than doing nothing. That said, it's not enough that anyone should worry about it under normal conditions. Things like being in a poor radio reception area or maxing out screen brightness will usually drain far more power than leaving on features meant to be left on. If it were easier, you can always switch to low power mode when you want extra life.
    03-06-2016 07:12 AM
    I had an issue with Siri and had to toggle it off and back on again last week. That turns off Hey Siri support, and I didn't get around to switching it back on for a few days. I didn't notice any difference in battery life those few days.

I know that's anecdotal, but you can always turn it back off in the settings if you find you notice a difference.
    03-06-2016 07:27 AM
    I had an issue with Siri and had to toggle it off and back on again last week. That turns off Hey Siri support, and I didn't get around to switching it back on for a few days. I didn't notice any difference in battery life those few days.

I know that's anecdotal, but you can always turn it back off in the settings if you find you notice a difference.
    Same here. I had it off for about a week because I kept forgetting to retrain Hey Siri to recognize my voice and noticed zero difference in battery life.
    03-06-2016 07:36 AM
    I turned it off for a couple of weeks to check battery life and didn't notice a difference so I don't think it uses a significant amount.

I find the convenience of being able to add random things to my groceries list, set a quick alarm or have a song play that has suddenly popped into my head outweighs any minor extra battery drain.
    03-07-2016 08:45 PM
    The M9 co-processor will stay active enough to listen for the phrase, and doing something typically takes more power than doing nothing. That said, it's not enough that anyone should worry about it under normal conditions. Things like being in a poor radio reception area or maxing out screen brightness will usually drain far more power than leaving on features meant to be left on. If it were easier, you can always switch to low power mode when you want extra life.
    Am I the only one who has listened to enough of the iMore podcasts that I can read this in Rene's voice? Is Rene our version of Morgan Freeman?

Good info though -- I always leave mine on, though I do find myself using it more on Apple Watch than my phone.
    03-14-2016 06:11 AM
    Am I the only one who has listened to enough of the iMore podcasts that I can read this in Rene's voice? Is Rene our version of Morgan Freeman?

Good info though -- I always leave mine on, though I do find myself using it more on Apple Watch than my phone.
    Haha Robert! I can also do it in Serenity's or Leo LaPorte's voice. Or Morgan Freeman.
    03-14-2016 06:52 AM
    Haha Robert! I can also do it in Serenity's or Leo LaPorte's voice. Or Morgan Freeman.
    I've watched/listened to Leo for a long time (The Screensavers, anyone?) so I can see that.
    03-14-2016 07:35 AM
    I've watched/listened to Leo for a long time (The Screensavers, anyone?) so I can see that.
    Oh I remember Screensavers! TechTV/ZDNet days.
    03-14-2016 07:35 AM
    I guess considering that they built support for this into the M9 processor, it doesn't have a noticeable impact on battery life. If they had enabled it for earlier devices, then it probably would affect them because they weren't designed with Hey Siri in mind.
    03-14-2016 04:02 PM
    Probably a negligible effect if any
    03-14-2016 07:42 PM
    I honestly haven't noticed a difference
    03-14-2016 10:46 PM