What are the pros and cons of using Apple Pay on your iPhone?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
While out a few weekends ago bought tickets to Star Wars from Fandango app, and when ready to purchase the tickets noticed an option for Apple Pay. That was a new feature, so thought I'd try it out, but after clicking the Apple Pay option, discovered that there was a $2.70 convenience fee.

Depending upon how you look at it, I can see the option to use Apple Pay for in app purchases as a pro or con. While $2.70 isn't that much money, it's nearly 9% of the $30.26 ticket price for two adults to see Star Wars in 3D. Maybe that's a con.

Maybe the pro here is the "tokenization" for the purchase, but since Fandango already has my card info, in this particular case; not sure if the convenience fee was a pro.

The convenience fee comes from Fandango. It has nothing to do with Apple Pay. Apple Pay is free to use.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Cons:

Not accepted most places I go.
If accepted, sometimes it's declined and I have to use my debit card.
If accepted, person behind the counter has no clue how to use it.

The only place I've ever tried to use Apple Pay and the person couldn't get it to work was at....the Apple Store.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Fast, convenient, easy. I use it all the time at the grocery stores near me, Walgreens and Panera.

Cons are that I forget to take my license and credit cards with me bc I just expect to use AP and then I get in a bind when I need the actual cards.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So is this convenience fee common ?

After reading the posts here I was set to register a card, but there no way I'm paying an additional fee.

SB

The Fandango app is the first time I've encountered a convenience fee. I think its probably more an exception than the norm. I won't be using Apple Pay in the Fandango app again, though.

I've used Apple Pay at grocery stores, McDonald's, and Walgreens. Never had to pay a convenience fee. I think Fandango is a bit misguided here.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I bought an Urban Armor Gear case here on imore that allows me to store my license and credit card.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Apple Pay all the time. Every work day at the vending machine at work( slight addiction to Diet Coke). And at the local grocery store. I have never been charges a convenience fee. My best guess is its a fandango thing.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish gas stations like Arco AM/PM, Shell or Chevron would accept this at the pump.. in light of all the recent news about card scanners being found in a number of gas station dispensers...

kwp217

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the states & Apple will one day allow for Drivers license to be stored in your phone. Would be great and convenient.

anon(9709784)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Pros

Helps make transactions safe *rolls eyes*

Cons

Reliance on digital payments tied to banks means your fractional reserve notes are still in the federal reserve regional partner banks' care, the most uncareful people on the planet. Having administrated trusts and evaluated the impact of fractional reserving on assets as they relate to clients purchasing power within the easily manipulated monetary system, how these digital "conveniences" are looked at as a good thing is cringe-inducing. People are so impressed with the superficial. It's very important to understand what is being discussed in the foreground of these decision-makers. There is no security of your funds when you can't even control how they are loaned, protected and/or disbursed; the tracking of every single transaction could become problematic should you ever start thinking for yourself within an authori-technocracy.

www[dot]corbettreport[dot]com/the-war-on-cash-a-country-by-country-guide/comment-page-1/

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Pros

Helps make transactions safe *rolls eyes*

Cons

Reliance on digital payments tied to banks means your fractional reserve notes are still in the federal reserve regional partner banks' care, the most uncareful people on the planet. Having administrated trusts and evaluated the impact of fractional reserving on them as it relates to the monetary system, how this "convenience" is looked at as a good thing is cringe-inducing. There is no security of your funds when you can't even control how they are loaned, protected and/or disbursed; the tracking of every single transaction could become problematic should you ever start thinking for yourself within an authori-technocracy.

This is a bit far fetched IMO. I'm not really seeing the negative impact on the average consumer. I have my credit card linked to my Apple Pay. When I make a purchase I use a tokenized method rather than swiping my card. As a consumer, I have a much lesser chance of my credit card being compromised because I haven't given them the number.
We aren't talking about multi-million dollar trusts here. We're talking about 10 bucks at Walgreens.

anon(9709784)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
This is a bit far fetched IMO. I'm not really seeing the negative impact on the average consumer. I have my credit card linked to my Apple Pay. When I make a purchase I use a tokenized method rather than swiping my card. As a consumer, I have a much lesser chance of my credit card being compromised because I haven't given them the number.
We aren't talking about multi-million dollar trusts here. We're talking about 10 bucks at Walgreens.

I agree we are talking about smaller transactions. But that is just for right now. The boiling frogs approach is incrementalism. It won't happen all at once. To Apple's credit, they see where the puck is headed. Hopefully its customers (myself included) understand why, though.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay in the UK is absolutely great. On Monday Apple Pay with MasterCard was free to use on all London transport and also for the next two Mondays. Every purchase I made on Monday was on Apple Pay and didn't need the card in my wallet at all! I love using it. No downsides here.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I've added and re-added mine so much that I now have to call to get both of them on there after resetting my device recently.

At least they stopped sending notices in the mail each time -- I've been getting them by email lately.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I've added and re-added mine so much that I now have to call to get both of them on there after resetting my device recently.

At least they stopped sending notices in the mail each time -- I've been getting them by email lately.

That has to be an institution-level thing. My employer doesn't send notices via US mail, and Discover doesn't either from my experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox