What are the pros and cons of using Apple Pay on your iPhone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Pro: you don't share your credit card number with the retailer. If their payment system is hacked, you don't have to worry about somebody stealing it.

I'm not sure there are many cons for me. If it can be used, why not?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's fast.
It's encrypted.
Your credit card number is not shared with the retailer.
You don't have to pull your credit card out of your wallet. So it's easier.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Pros are like everyone has stated. It's really quick and convenient.
Another pro is the verification message displayed on your phone to let you know it's been processed.
It's secure and you don't have to worry about anyone being able to use it if you lose your phone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Pros are like everyone has stated. It's really quick and convenient.
Another pro is the verification message displayed on your phone to let you know it's been processed.
It's secure and you don't have to worry about anyone being able to use it if you lose your phone.

And the verification includes the cost!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay

Apple Pay is quite confidently the safest way to pay for things. Any tokenized payment method is going to be incredibly secure but Apple Pay includes the extra layer of requiring the user's finger print using Touch ID.
This is why the big banks have made a HUGE push toward payment technologies like Apple Pay. I work for the parent company of the largest bank in the country and see all of the internal communication for this stuff.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
... Any tonenized payment method ...

Somehow tokenized got mangled :)

I'm hoping for more widespread acceptance of Apple Pay. Like you said it's super secure and protects everyone.

One drawback would be places like Target who can look up your purchase with just a credit card if you need to return without a receipt. Then again Target had a huge breach so not sure I want them having that info :)

DaytonAnnie

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been leery, but after reading this thread, and many articles about Apple vs. FBI, I think this is the way to go! Now to convince my husband! Ha!

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Cons:

Not accepted most places I go.
If accepted, sometimes it's declined and I have to use my debit card.
If accepted, person behind the counter has no clue how to use it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Cons:

Not accepted most places I go.
If accepted, sometimes it's declined and I have to use my debit card.
If accepted, person behind the counter has no clue how to use it.

I agree that most places don't accept it yet but it goes rather smoothly for me at places that do.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
In Canada:

Pros: It's a good idea.
Cons: Only Amex can be used and it's barely accepted here (in my town, I've yet to see a place where they take  Pay).

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
While out a few weekends ago bought tickets to Star Wars from Fandango app, and when ready to purchase the tickets noticed an option for Apple Pay. That was a new feature, so thought I'd try it out, but after clicking the Apple Pay option, discovered that there was a $2.70 convenience fee.

Depending upon how you look at it, I can see the option to use Apple Pay for in app purchases as a pro or con. While $2.70 isn't that much money, it's nearly 9% of the $30.26 ticket price for two adults to see Star Wars in 3D. Maybe that's a con.

Maybe the pro here is the "tokenization" for the purchase, but since Fandango already has my card info, in this particular case; not sure if the convenience fee was a pro.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro