New to iOS. Just bought the 64gb 6S

bluegreen1965

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I am a somewhat recent newcomer to iPhones (within 9 months). There is a book (check it out from your library first) that you should check out in addition to looking in the forums. It is called, "iPhone: The Missing Manual," by David Pogue. Really good. Helpful tips and lots of photos for the visual learner. Highly recommended. I'm about halfway through it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why should anyone have to disable anything to be able to use the phone?

If an app uses background refresh, I leave it on. It makes no sense to have to disable something that is useful to maybe get an extra hour of battery life.

My battery life is already just about as good as on my 6S+. If you start disabling things, you have a dumb phone.

All I said was that I disable a few apps, namely Facebook because it is WIDELY known to have issues. As it's my iPhone I have the ability to change settings as I please.
Thank you for calling my phone "dumb" though.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I am sure you know this but One drive is available for the Mac and the iPhone. (nearly Everything MS is on OSX and iOS)

Outlook email app on iPhone is really good, but not really needed, the native client does a great job.

I like fantastical as much as apples calendar.

Of course make sure your iCloud account is logged into the phone and the mac ( same apple ID)
Zedge is a great sound app for ring tones and message alerts etc. My message alert is Microsofts default windows phone sound.
(zedge requires a tiny bit of work, have to use iTunes thru the mac to get the sounds back on the phone)

Cortana is pretty good, not as good as she is on WP tho. Siri can be good for some things as well.

You can screen shot by hitting the power button and the home button, quickly, simultaneously.

Double Press the home button to close down apps. (swipe up)

icloud.com email address is best for Notes syncing.

in settings under notifications, you can change how each and every app notifies you. (badges, banners, sounds)

at the VERY bottom of Notifications settings is where AMBER alerts and Emergency alerts are turned on and off.

With apple, You should have yourself as a contact with your phone #, Address, work address etc. Then tell Siri who you are, then you can say things like take me home, and she navigates to your house. or you can say, Remind me to call Bob when I get home. and it will tell you when you get home.
or the same at work. Remind me to tell my boss I want a raise when I get to work. it will remind you when you get there.

Siri can also ad Drive time to work if you use all those settings.

Make sure you have Handoff enabled on the phone and on the mac. will make things very nice.

Upgrade to iCloud drive. and there is a toggle on settings on iPhone to show the icon on the screen of not.

You can drag and drop files and pictures back and forth the mac and iPhone using Air Drop.

on background app refresh, I only turned off a few. amazon, google news, ebay. I left everything else on.

In Settings ( no sub menu) if you scroll down, you will see Facebook and Twitter. if you log in There, you can post web sites, pictures etc Directly to facebook or twitter without actually going to the Facebook app. (tap the square with the arrow up to "share" anything)

Under photos and camera settings, you can manage your Photo Stream and iCloud library from there.

From any screen pull down from the top (start just above the screen) it will bring down Today and Notifications. If you go to the bottom of Today, you can edit and rearrange stuff there ( or add widgets )

(start at bottom slightly off or below the screen) slide up and that is quick settings.

Power user note ;p if the moon is lit up, you won't see or hear anything (its do not disturb)

You can set up, up to 5 fingers for the finger print reader. I used both thumbs so it would work in either hand, but I also added one index finger for while I am chilin at home.

I can't think of anything else right now. tired ..

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
All I said was that I disable a few apps, namely Facebook because it is WIDELY known to have issues. As it's my iPhone I have the ability to change settings as I please.
Thank you for calling my phone "dumb" though.

She does this on every thread... I just scroll past. 🙄

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't that dispelled as a myth?

The problem is that when Background App Refresh was first introduced (iOS 7.1, I think) there were some known issues with it. Since then Apple has tweaked it and many developers have tweaked their apps to work better with the feature. While this has mostly eliminated background app refresh battery issues there are still some apps out there that unnecessarily eat up battery life, like Facebook.
So while it's pretty safe to leave background app refresh on IMO I choose to disable it for a few apps that seem to not play with it well.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello guys.

I have been using the 64gb 6S for the past 4 days now. I actually have no prior use experience whatsoever with iOS or any iPhone so the switch was kinda overwhelming to me at first. I've been a loyal Windows phone fan since the day of WP8, WP8.1 to W10M (never even owned an Android phone, still have all the 3 WP with me right now in perfectly working condition; Lumia 620, 925 and 950XL) and I still love them btw but I thought I'd try out an iPhone just because to compare and see what's the hype is about with iphones. It was kinda an impulsive purchase for me btw (walked into the Apple store, played around with the phone for a few minutes and bought 1 home)

I think I might have figured out most of the basic functions with iOS by playing around with it and watching some tutorials on youtube but it'd be awesome if any veteran iOS user here can share other 'hidden' features or must have apps or accessories that I should try. I kinda miss the live tiles and the glance screen on my 950XL but I have a Microsoft Band that works fine for all of my phone notifications anyway.

I also have a rmbp 15 btw if that would be any more helpful.

Thanks.

Hey! You sound like me (I also have 3 Windows Phones - still love WP - and came to my 64GB iPhone 6s after them), only I'm a previous iOS user (first started with the iPhone 4 in summer 2011). Glad you're enjoying the iPhone, and welcome aboard! :)

macguy59

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Would be easier to answer specific questions. You can add "widgets" to the pull down curtain from any screen. If you swipe up from the bottom of the screen you have some quick settings.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

If an app uses background refresh, I leave it on. It makes no sense to have to disable something that is useful to maybe get an extra hour of battery life.

My battery life is already just about as good as on my 6S+. If you start disabling things, you have a dumb phone.

I don't think anyone is referring to a brand new, out of the box phone. I think this refers to 3rd party apps. Many 3rd party apps would love you to believe that having Background App Refresh enabled for their app is in your best interest. I think it is wise to go through Background App Refresh to customize or determine what you would like refreshing in the background. Apps like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are good examples of apps that use Background App Refresh that may drain battery more. Background App Refresh is just another customization tool for iPhone user experience.

atrsh

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I am sure you know this but One drive is available for the Mac and the iPhone. (nearly Everything MS is on OSX and iOS)

Outlook email app on iPhone is really good, but not really needed, the native client does a great job.

I like fantastical as much as apples calendar.

Of course make sure your iCloud account is logged into the phone and the mac ( same apple ID)
Zedge is a great sound app for ring tones and message alerts etc. My message alert is Microsofts default windows phone sound.
(zedge requires a tiny bit of work, have to use iTunes thru the mac to get the sounds back on the phone)

Cortana is pretty good, not as good as she is on WP tho. Siri can be good for some things as well.

You can screen shot by hitting the power button and the home button, quickly, simultaneously.

Double Press the home button to close down apps. (swipe up)

icloud.com email address is best for Notes syncing.

in settings under notifications, you can change how each and every app notifies you. (badges, banners, sounds)

at the VERY bottom of Notifications settings is where AMBER alerts and Emergency alerts are turned on and off.

With apple, You should have yourself as a contact with your phone #, Address, work address etc. Then tell Siri who you are, then you can say things like take me home, and she navigates to your house. or you can say, Remind me to call Bob when I get home. and it will tell you when you get home.
or the same at work. Remind me to tell my boss I want a raise when I get to work. it will remind you when you get there.

Siri can also ad Drive time to work if you use all those settings.

Make sure you have Handoff enabled on the phone and on the mac. will make things very nice.

Upgrade to iCloud drive. and there is a toggle on settings on iPhone to show the icon on the screen of not.

You can drag and drop files and pictures back and forth the mac and iPhone using Air Drop.

on background app refresh, I only turned off a few. amazon, google news, ebay. I left everything else on.

In Settings ( no sub menu) if you scroll down, you will see Facebook and Twitter. if you log in There, you can post web sites, pictures etc Directly to facebook or twitter without actually going to the Facebook app. (tap the square with the arrow up to "share" anything)

Under photos and camera settings, you can manage your Photo Stream and iCloud library from there.

From any screen pull down from the top (start just above the screen) it will bring down Today and Notifications. If you go to the bottom of Today, you can edit and rearrange stuff there ( or add widgets )

(start at bottom slightly off or below the screen) slide up and that is quick settings.

Power user note ;p if the moon is lit up, you won't see or hear anything (its do not disturb)

You can set up, up to 5 fingers for the finger print reader. I used both thumbs so it would work in either hand, but I also added one index finger for while I am chilin at home.

I can't think of anything else right now. tired ..

thanks for the awesome tips! Yeah I find the Air Drop thing really useful to use with my macbook pro. Very seamless. One question, what is Photo Stream? And what does Wi-fi assist do and how will it benefit me? I rarely use wifi since I have unlimited data

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Background refresh on an app like Facebook is about as useful as a thumb tack rolling around loose in my shoe :) I'd rather have it off and get the extra battery life! My phone's still smart, I just don't care that much about Facebook so I leave the background refresh off. Other apps that I do like to keep running for whatever reason (like Dropbox) I leave on. The settings are there as options for a reason.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was told the same thing. I did some research and found this on one of the many geek sites. Decided to just leave it alone and let them run.

Despite what you may have heard, closing apps on your iPhone or iPad won?t speed it up. But iOS does allow apps to run in the background sometimes, and you can manage that in a different way.

This myth is actually harmful. Not only will it slow down your use of your device, but it could use more battery power in the long run. Just leave those recent apps alone!

So many of my friends close out all their apps and I try to tell them they don't have to do it but they won't listen.

Victor Tech

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on your new purchase! You won't be disappointed considering that we have the largest optimized app library compared to any other platform.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh