New to iOS. Just bought the 64gb 6S

atrsh

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys.

I have been using the 64gb 6S for the past 4 days now. I actually have no prior use experience whatsoever with iOS or any iPhone so the switch was kinda overwhelming to me at first. I've been a loyal Windows phone fan since the day of WP8, WP8.1 to W10M (never even owned an Android phone, still have all the 3 WP with me right now in perfectly working condition; Lumia 620, 925 and 950XL) and I still love them btw but I thought I'd try out an iPhone just because to compare and see what's the hype is about with iphones. It was kinda an impulsive purchase for me btw (walked into the Apple store, played around with the phone for a few minutes and bought 1 home)

I think I might have figured out most of the basic functions with iOS by playing around with it and watching some tutorials on youtube but it'd be awesome if any veteran iOS user here can share other 'hidden' features or must have apps or accessories that I should try. I kinda miss the live tiles and the glance screen on my 950XL but I have a Microsoft Band that works fine for all of my phone notifications anyway.

I also have a rmbp 15 btw if that would be any more helpful.

Thanks.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

Welcome to the Dark Side and congrats on your purchase :D

You might want to disable Background App Refresh and disable (or set to "While using the app only" which is app specific) Location Services. They greatly improved battery life!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Double touching (don't press in...just touch) the home button slides the screen down. That makes one handed use even more pleasant. That's my favorite "trick". Probably the one iPhone only feature that I use ALL THE TIME.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Double touching (don't press in...just touch) the home button slides the screen down. That makes one handed use even more pleasant. That's my favorite "trick". Probably the one iPhone only feature that I use ALL THE TIME.

Reachability is only available on the PLUS models.
EDIT: Nevermind. I was mistaken.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

You might want to disable Background App Refresh and disable (or set to "While using the app only" which is app specific) Location Services. They greatly improved battery life!

I agree BUT I find background app refresh convenient for many apps. Instead of turning it off completely I just limit what apps have access to the feature.
DEFINITELY remove Facebook from background app refresh.

atrsh

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Reachability is only available on the PLUS models.

It actually works on 6S too. On W10M, I have to long press the home button instead. Awesome feature.

Hi!

I only have it on for Onedrive (for camera photos backup) and Whatsapp.

Congrats on your new iPhone. Enjoy

Thanks. Still getting used to having so many icons on the home screen and also the physical home button.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your new device, and welcome to to iMore. There are so many wise people here that I'm sure you'll learn a lot, and quickly at that. I've had an iPhone since the 3GS and still learn things around here regularly.

atrsh

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Congrats on your new device, and welcome to to iMore. There are so many wise people here that I'm sure you'll learn a lot, and quickly at that. I've had an iPhone since the 3GS and still learn things around here regularly.

That's exactly what I have been doing the past few days,reading through the forum. 3D Touch is interesting

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what I have been doing the past few days,reading through the forum. 3D Touch is interesting

It really is. I use it quite a bit to peek at a message to see if I need to deal with it right away, or if it can wait. That way I can leave it "unread" and it serves as a reminder to go back and read it. Same way with emails. It's also most useful for me with addresses in the calendar app. Sometimes I forget it's there... Shame on me

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro