Hi!

Welcome to the Dark Side and congrats on your purchase

You might want to disable Background App Refresh and disable (or set to "While using the app only" which is app specific) Location Services. They greatly improved battery life!
    I was told the same thing. I did some research and found this on one of the many geek sites. Decided to just leave it alone and let them run.

Despite what you may have heard, closing apps on your iPhone or iPad won’t speed it up. But iOS does allow apps to run in the background sometimes, and you can manage that in a different way.

This myth is actually harmful. Not only will it slow down your use of your device, but it could use more battery power in the long run. Just leave those recent apps alone!
    atrsh likes this.
    02-19-2016 01:13 AM
    Reachability is only available on the PLUS models.
    It's available on the 6 as well
    02-19-2016 01:14 AM
    I don't have a plus.
    It works on my iPhone 6, I don't have the plus.
    Reachability works with the iPhone 6S also. Windows 10 phone has a similar feature double tap the Windows home button to bring the screen down just like Reachability with iOS.
    It's available on the 6 as well
    Yes, thank you. It's been pointed out and discussed multiple times at this point.
    Loud and clear.
    02-19-2016 01:59 AM
    Welcome and congrats!!
    atrsh likes this.
    02-19-2016 04:57 AM
    Reachability works with the iPhone 6S also. Windows 10 phone has a similar feature double tap the Windows home button to bring the screen down just like Reachability with iOS.
    atrsh likes this.
    02-19-2016 05:04 AM
    Yes, thank you. It's been pointed out and discussed multiple times at this point.
    Loud and clear.
    I simply replied to my quoted post. Didn't see any other replies on the matter. You're welcome though.
    02-19-2016 09:44 AM
    Did not know this! Thanks!!
    No problem! Easily my favorite feature and probably the main reason I can't leave iOS lol. It's such a convenient feature.
    akutch34 likes this.
    02-19-2016 09:45 AM
    Wish I could turn off Reachability... or knew how. I hate that "feature." So annoying.
    02-19-2016 10:20 AM
    Did not know this! Thanks!!
    Thanks for the clarification!!!!
    02-19-2016 10:34 AM
    I agree BUT I find background app refresh convenient for many apps. Instead of turning it off completely I just limit what apps have access to the feature.
    DEFINITELY remove Facebook from background app refresh.
    Why should anyone have to disable anything to be able to use the phone?

If an app uses background refresh, I leave it on. It makes no sense to have to disable something that is useful to maybe get an extra hour of battery life.

My battery life is already just about as good as on my 6S+. If you start disabling things, you have a dumb phone.
    Vyenkatesh likes this.
    02-19-2016 10:38 AM
    @ Cubfan
    Settings -> Accessibility -> Reachability (on-off)
    02-19-2016 10:57 AM
    Interesting, this is a feature that I have disabled lol. Different strokes for different folks!
    02-19-2016 11:15 AM

If an app uses background refresh, I leave it on. It makes no sense to have to disable something that is useful to maybe get an extra hour of battery life.

My battery life is already just about as good as on my 6S+. If you start disabling things, you have a dumb phone.
    I don't even have to disable anything and I'm getting as good of battery life as my 6s+. Averaging 8-9 hrs of use. Can't beat it. So glad I switched back to the 6s
    02-19-2016 11:41 AM
    Humm, are you saying that your 6s is getting the same amount of battery life as your 6s plus?
    02-19-2016 12:29 PM
    First u have to determine if u have a samsung or tsmc chip )
    02-19-2016 01:24 PM
    I am a somewhat recent newcomer to iPhones (within 9 months). There is a book (check it out from your library first) that you should check out in addition to looking in the forums. It is called, "iPhone: The Missing Manual," by David Pogue. Really good. Helpful tips and lots of photos for the visual learner. Highly recommended. I'm about halfway through it.
    atrsh and akutch34 like this.
    02-19-2016 01:48 PM
    Yo big timer, check out iMore's must have apps & etc. That should help you a lot. The 20 features in iOS 9 I'm actually using | iMore Best iPhone apps | iMore
    atrsh likes this.
    02-19-2016 02:29 PM
    First u have to determine if u have a samsung or tsmc chip )
    I have the samsung chip but i don't buy into that chipgate thing
    02-19-2016 05:12 PM

All I said was that I disable a few apps, namely Facebook because it is WIDELY known to have issues. As it's my iPhone I have the ability to change settings as I please.
    Thank you for calling my phone "dumb" though.
    akutch34 and Jamie Wooten like this.
    02-19-2016 07:41 PM
    Don't forget to turn off the Wifi-assist feature found and the bottom of the cellular data page.
    atrsh and corgirat like this.
    02-19-2016 08:47 PM
    I am sure you know this but One drive is available for the Mac and the iPhone. (nearly Everything MS is on OSX and iOS)

Outlook email app on iPhone is really good, but not really needed, the native client does a great job.

I like fantastical as much as apples calendar.

Of course make sure your iCloud account is logged into the phone and the mac ( same apple ID)
    Zedge is a great sound app for ring tones and message alerts etc. My message alert is Microsofts default windows phone sound.
    (zedge requires a tiny bit of work, have to use iTunes thru the mac to get the sounds back on the phone)

Cortana is pretty good, not as good as she is on WP tho. Siri can be good for some things as well.

You can screen shot by hitting the power button and the home button, quickly, simultaneously.

Double Press the home button to close down apps. (swipe up)

icloud.com email address is best for Notes syncing.

in settings under notifications, you can change how each and every app notifies you. (badges, banners, sounds)

at the VERY bottom of Notifications settings is where AMBER alerts and Emergency alerts are turned on and off.

With apple, You should have yourself as a contact with your phone #, Address, work address etc. Then tell Siri who you are, then you can say things like take me home, and she navigates to your house. or you can say, Remind me to call Bob when I get home. and it will tell you when you get home.
    or the same at work. Remind me to tell my boss I want a raise when I get to work. it will remind you when you get there.

Siri can also ad Drive time to work if you use all those settings.

Make sure you have Handoff enabled on the phone and on the mac. will make things very nice.

Upgrade to iCloud drive. and there is a toggle on settings on iPhone to show the icon on the screen of not.

You can drag and drop files and pictures back and forth the mac and iPhone using Air Drop.

on background app refresh, I only turned off a few. amazon, google news, ebay. I left everything else on.

In Settings ( no sub menu) if you scroll down, you will see Facebook and Twitter. if you log in There, you can post web sites, pictures etc Directly to facebook or twitter without actually going to the Facebook app. (tap the square with the arrow up to "share" anything)

Under photos and camera settings, you can manage your Photo Stream and iCloud library from there.

From any screen pull down from the top (start just above the screen) it will bring down Today and Notifications. If you go to the bottom of Today, you can edit and rearrange stuff there ( or add widgets )

(start at bottom slightly off or below the screen) slide up and that is quick settings.

Power user note ;p if the moon is lit up, you won't see or hear anything (its do not disturb)

You can set up, up to 5 fingers for the finger print reader. I used both thumbs so it would work in either hand, but I also added one index finger for while I am chilin at home.

I can't think of anything else right now. tired ..
    atrsh likes this.
    02-19-2016 11:28 PM
    Wish I could turn off Reachability... or knew how. I hate that "feature." So annoying.
    Settings > Accessibility > Reachability (toggle On or OFF )

wish granted .
    02-19-2016 11:40 PM
    Hi!

Welcome to the Dark Side and congrats on your purchase

You might want to disable Background App Refresh and disable (or set to "While using the app only" which is app specific) Location Services. They greatly improved battery life!
    Wasn't that dispelled as a myth?
    02-19-2016 11:40 PM
    All I said was that I disable a few apps, namely Facebook because it is WIDELY known to have issues. As it's my iPhone I have the ability to change settings as I please.
    Thank you for calling my phone "dumb" though.
    She does this on every thread... I just scroll past. 🙄
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    02-20-2016 01:26 AM
    Wasn't that dispelled as a myth?
    The problem is that when Background App Refresh was first introduced (iOS 7.1, I think) there were some known issues with it. Since then Apple has tweaked it and many developers have tweaked their apps to work better with the feature. While this has mostly eliminated background app refresh battery issues there are still some apps out there that unnecessarily eat up battery life, like Facebook.
    So while it's pretty safe to leave background app refresh on IMO I choose to disable it for a few apps that seem to not play with it well.
    Last edited by DevilishBanker; 02-20-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    TwitchyPuppy and atrsh like this.
    02-20-2016 08:17 AM
66 123