UGH another help me decide which phone thread?

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
UGH another help me decide which phone thread

and, worse, a repost from crackberry. forgive me.

i have had tmobile's blackberry priv for a little over a week now. i came from an HTC ONE M7 that i have had since i last left blackberry a little over two years ago.

the two things i love most about the PRIV, and the reason i decided to try it, are the physical keyboard and the blinking LED light. prior to the HTC i was blackberry for three or four years. i loved not only typing on a physical keyboard, but also having a light to remind when i missed something rather than constantly picking up and checking my phone. also, back then at least, i never worried about battery life like early iphone users. anyway by the time tmo finally got the iphone i had already transitioned over to android. i loved the customizable features of android. and being my first android can't say that i have much to compare it to. i tried the samsung galaxy before deciding on the HTC but it felt cheap and plastic-y to me.

all of that being said, i live in an apple world. my computers have always been mac. and worse i work in advertising, so everyone i know uses iphone. at first they would look at me with my android or blackberry and give me stink eye. i would say "think different". but with the PRIV i am beginning to wonder if i am moving in the wrong direction. i mean, what was it four years ago? i remember watching the presidential inauguration and they cut from a parade through DC to president obama. and he was sitting there reading on his blackberry. i mean what better endorsement has there ever been than the president of the freaking united states using your device. like others when someone would ask i would say i like my blackberry for getting **** done. but champions adapt. and eventually i had to give up the physical keyboard to have a good camera and apps in my pocket. the bold or curve was my last blackberry. anyway i digressed...

last year i worked on some of the apple campaigns. and the campaign was "shot on iphone". and it looked freaking beautiful. still i held on to the notion that i was thinking different, and that i didn't want to be beholden to one way of doing things....and a relative that works at tmo and has tried several devices said i wouldn't like it. she said you get tired of "always walking through the front door, when you know the back door is easier and faster". so i read about the PRIV and thought finally my dreams have been answered! i can go back to having a keyboard but on an android device. and then i waited and waited for tmo to get it.

cut to now. i had this device for 9 or 10 days. i have to send it back within 20 or keep it. i don't know. there are great things about this device. i love tap to wake. i love the LEDs. i like the keyboards...BUT the camera sucks, i had to replace it with a camera app. the gallery sucks, i had to replace it with a gallery app. and while it's kind of amazing that if i don't like something i can change it, it's also kind of amazing to simply like things and not have to change them. i can't say cause i have never had an iphone. but here i am wondering if it's time. i came over to imore this morning to see what you were talking about. and instead of urgent help my phone creaks (battery sucks, etc) forums, it was civilized discussions about which size iphone to get. worse, sometimes android feels like the early days of the internet. for example this morning i had an email in one of my gmail accounts. my phone had not alerted me. is this a gmail, PRIV or tmobile problem? my google calendar hasn't been perfectly in sync yet...i replaced it last night. anyway its like the old days when you would call AOL or earthlink and they would point the finger at apple, who would say it was a netscape problem.

i am torn. am i giving up productivity to be different? am i giving up creativity, no art, for commerce?!? i am not a businessman. i love love love typing on my old blackberrys but this is not my old blackberry. thanks for listening to my morning rant. i think i mostly needed to hear myself out. and maybe customizing my ringtone and message alert is not worth having an inferior camera and apps...anyway these are first world problems. and i am grateful to have crackberry, android central and imore to vent on. thank you for listening. and if anyone has anything to help contribute to the discussion, please do.

lastly, yes, i am definitely considering keeping the PRIV (i will at least another 5 days) and am considering waiting for the HTC ONE M10 which i believe is coming soon...

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: UGH another help me decide which phone thread

You have hard task ahead, you are in a location where the Priv is supported by your carrier. I would love one, but due to no support here, I am not getting one. I used to be like you, with BlackBerry and all, however have now moved on. Still has my 9900 though, along with the 6S+....

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

a couple of more iphone questions since i have another day to decide whether or not to switch....

1. does this iphone shoot slow motion? i am almost certain it does, but would love confirmation.

2. how does back up work? it seems to me that my friends that have lost their iphones can easily go into a store buy a new one and have their content restored. i have not found that option with my admittedly limited android experience...

THANK YOU!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

TL;DR....having said that...;)...get the device that suits your needs best.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

TL;DR....having said that...;)...get the device that suits your needs best.

haha but there doesn't seem to be one device that suits all of my needs....so i am trying to figure out what i will have to give up! google vs apple, physical keyboard vs camera

1st world problems

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

a couple of more iphone questions since i have another day to decide whether or not to switch....

1. does this iphone shoot slow motion? i am almost certain it does, but would love confirmation.

2. how does back up work? it seems to me that my friends that have lost their iphones can easily go into a store buy a new one and have their content restored. i have not found that option with my admittedly limited android experience...

THANK YOU!

1. Yes
2. iCloud offers over the air full device backups. You can also back up via iTunes by plugging it directly in. As long as you keep it backed up you never have to worry about what happens. The backup experience is far more in depth than my Android experience. It includes EVERYTHING. My last Android device was the HTC M8 so things may have changed since then but I'm much more pleased with my backup experience on iOS.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

1. Yes
2. iCloud offers over the air full device backups. You can also back up via iTunes by plugging it directly in. As long as you keep it backed up you never have to worry about what happens. The backup experience is far more in depth than my Android experience. It includes EVERYTHING. My last Android device was the HTC M8 so things may have changed since then but I'm much more pleased with my backup experience on iOS.

Totally agree with this, having just came from Android. The best backup/restore experience I've ever had with Android was on a rooted device with Titanium Backup. So much easier on a stock iPhone. No need to jailbreak or purchase a custom app for the job.

walterkurtz

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Totally agree with this, having just came from Android. The best backup/restore experience I've ever had with Android was on a rooted device with Titanium Backup. So much easier on a stock iPhone. No need to jailbreak or purchase a custom app for the job.

thank you all!!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

I am a dual wielder.
I have my iPhone 6s Plus and HTC One M9 since I could not decide =P

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I am a dual wielder.
I have my iPhone 6s Plus and HTC One M9 since I could not decide =P

Haha I'm thinking of doing this with my 6S+ and 6P but unfortunately I can't afford to keep both. I'm in even more of a quandary because I have a Space Black Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet Watch which I freaking love and I'd hate to part with it but I have a third 6P on the way cause I didn't even use the last two I ordered haha I just freaked and sent them back. I'm such a mess I don't know what to do.

There's no reason I shouldn't be happy with my iPhone as I've owned them since the Original but did take a 3 year break trying out BB and Android. What I did notice though during my time on Android, I was way way enthusiastic about it even more so than when I was on iOS. I think I'm just longing for change even though I should be content since I do love the 6S+ and my watch combo.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

haha but there doesn't seem to be one device that suits all of my needs....so i am trying to figure out what i will have to give up! google vs apple, physical keyboard vs camera

1st world problems

Would you be able to get the iPhone and return it if it doesn't suit what you think it is? I doubt that would happen, but you never know :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox