Taking a att unlocked 6s to T-Mobile?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm going to be getting off my parents family plan soon and I'm switching from att to T-Mobile. I have a iPhone 6s and I'm wondering if I pay it off and get it unlocked from att if it's possible to bring it and use on T-Mobile and still get all the features, radio bands, and performance? Or is it best to probably just do their buy you out of your agreement thing and just get a T-Mobile iPhone? Anyway, any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You might want to talk to T-Mobile on this one. They might be able to pay off the phone for you (if that deal is still around), but otherwise, paying it off wouldn't be a bad idea. AT&T phones are GSM, so you shouldn't have any compatibility problems with a new carrier.

Well, they still do have that deal going. I may do that and get a 6s plus.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It should work on the T-Mobile network.

However... trust me when I say you will not like T-Mobile. They're so saturated with customers, which makes voice calling absolutely horrible. Call quality is worse than Sprint. Not to mention if you travel you'll never have a connection. We were with T-Mobile for almost 2 years and never had a connection while traveling. We're now with Straight Talk on the AT&T network... much better.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site

However... trust me when I say you will not like T-Mobile. They're so saturated with customers, which makes voice calling absolutely horrible. Call quality is worse than Sprint. Not to mention if you travel you'll never have a connection. We were with T-Mobile for almost 2 years and never had a connection while traveling. We're now with Straight Talk on the AT&T network... much better.

100% disagree with this. My T-Mobile coverage is excellent. I haven't noticed any difference from when I had Verizon, except my bill is much better.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
100% disagree with this. My T-Mobile coverage is excellent. I haven't noticed any difference from when I had Verizon, except my bill is much better.

You are more than free to disagree, but that does not make my terrible experience with T-Mobile any less valid.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's either between T-Mobile and Verizon. And T-Mobile is 15 bucks cheaper a month and they'll buy out what I owe on my att phone. If I hate T-Mobile I'm always free to go somewhere else since there's no contracts.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

I have to disagree. Over the past few months, my T-Mobile service has improved. Not only do I get service in 99% of all the locations that I go to but the data speeds have increased as well. For the past several years, I could not top 28-32Mbps. Now, I've been getting just under 90Mbps. That is faster then my Comcast internet service!

I have also not had ONE dropped call since moving to T-Mobile back when they first began iPhone support.

You can't honestly say someone else is not going to like T-Mobile based purely on your experience only. What if you talk someone out of it in another state and they could have the best experience they've ever had with any other past carrier. Please stop telling people they won't like it, you could be very wrong.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that could ever get me data service at my house. AT&T and Verizon could never do that.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have to disagree.

You are free to do so.

You can't honestly say someone else is not going to like T-Mobile based purely on your experience only.

Sure I can. Just as you are free to share your experience in your previous post, I can share mine.

Please stop telling people they won't like it

That seems highly unlikely at this point.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that could ever get me data service at my house. AT&T and Verizon could never do that.

We flew out to DC (no service there) and then drove (no service) down to Charleston West Virginia (no service) to see Keith Urban. No service at the Civic Center, so I couldn't share concert photos in real time with my friends on FB. No service all the way back up either. The following summer we flew my daughter out to Orlando and met up with her there (spotty service, had nothing most of the time) to go to Universal Studios. From there we flew up to Tennessee to see Keith Urban. Once again we had no service. Not at the hotel, not at the concert, and not on the road back to the airport. The summer before that we flew my son out and then drove him down to Gatlinburg Tennessee for vacation. No service the entire trip there or back. If it weren't for wifi at all the hotels we stayed in we would of had nothing.

When my daughter visits her dad (on T-Mobile) in Washington State she'll sometimes call me from his cell. We end up having to hang up so she can call from her bothers phone (On Straight Talk via AT&T) just so I can hear her clearly. My Fiance' at one point was traveling every week for almost 2 years from Chicago to Cupertino California for his job, and on T-Mobile he never had service, and the GPS in Life 360 would have him clear across the county instead of in the Amazon building where he was working. He could never call me from Chicago O'Hare or from the airport in San Francisco.. no service.

This past summer we few my son out to Orlando and met up with him there, same as my daughter, to go to Universal Studios. On Straight Talk over AT&T network not once did we go without service. This July when we fly out to Portland to see my family and then drive up to Seattle to see Adele we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile. This October when we go to see Keith Urban again we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile.

We travel. A lot. It's nice if you have a T-Mobile tower in your backyard, but if you travel then be prepared not to have much service, if any at all.

Hopefully you'll glean two things from this. That I have a legitimate complaint with T-Mobile, and that I love Keith Urban. ;)

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You are free to do so.

Sure I can. Just as you are free to share your experience in your previous post, I can share mine.

We flew out to DC (no service there) and then drove (no service) down to Charleston West Virginia (no service) to see Keith Urban. No service at the Civic Center, so I couldn't share concert photos in real time with my friends on FB. No service all the way back up either. The following summer we flew my daughter out to Orlando and met up with her there (spotty service, had nothing most of the time) to go to Universal Studios. From there we flew up to Tennessee to see Keith Urban. Once again we had no service. Not at the hotel, not at the concert, and not on the road back to the airport. The summer before that we flew my son out and then drove him down to Gatlinburg Tennessee for vacation. No service the entire trip there or back. If it weren't for wifi at all the hotels we stayed in we would of had nothing.

When my daughter visits her dad (on T-Mobile) in Washington State she'll sometimes call me from his cell. We end up having to hang up so she can call from her bothers phone (On Straight Talk via AT&T) just so I can hear her clearly. My Fiance' at one point was traveling every week for almost 2 years from Chicago to Cupertino California for his job, and on T-Mobile he never had service, and the GPS in Life 360 would have him clear across the county instead of in the Amazon building where he was working. He could never call me from Chicago O'Hare or from the airport in San Francisco.. no service.

This past summer we few my son out to Orlando and met up with him there, same as my daughter, to go to Universal Studios. On Straight Talk over AT&T network not once did we go without service. This July when we fly out to Portland to see my family and then drive up to Seattle to see Adele we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile. This October when we go to see Keith Urban again we will have service... because we're not on T-Mobile.

We travel. A lot. It's nice if you have a T-Mobile tower in your backyard, but if you travel then be prepared not to have much service, if any at all.

Hopefully you'll glean two things from this. That I have a legitimate complaint with T-Mobile, and that I love Keith Urban. ;)
Unless you've been every place possible in the US, you still can't speak for everyone.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Unless you've been every place possible in the US, you still can't speak for everyone.

I didn't speak for anyone. I told it the way I experienced it.

If you care to take the discussion elsewhere on the forum we can do that. But lets stop hijacking the poor guys thread.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm pretty set on T-Mobile. I do appreciate others telling me there experiences though. I didn't take it as someone telling me what to do or something like that. I asked for opinions and I got opinions. So mission accomplished. My only decision left is wether to have T-Mobile buy out my 6s and then pay monthly for a 6s plus or to pay out my iPhone myself on att, get it unlocked, and use it on T-Mobile.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm going to be getting off my parents family plan soon and I'm switching from att to T-Mobile. I have a iPhone 6s and I'm wondering if I pay it off and get it unlocked from att if it's possible to bring it and use on T-Mobile and still get all the features, radio bands, and performance? Or is it best to probably just do their buy you out of your agreement thing and just get a T-Mobile iPhone? Anyway, any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

So just so you know in advance, T-Mobile pays back the ETF with a prepaid Visa card and it can take up to 6-8 weeks to process, then another week to approve, and another 1-2 weeks to get the card after it has shipped. I switched to T-Mobile back in December and I'm finally getting my card. Though I was able to request it until I got my final bill in January. You will have to pay the ETF upfront, T-Mobile will just reimburse that cost. Outside of that, I have had zero issues with T-Mobile, traveling for work I see better coverage than I expected actually. Weaker signal in areas where I assumed it would be. It's a give and take, not quite so much coverage and a cheaper bill.

Not so, I have never had any call quality issues except on less than 2MB wifi speed wifi calls. If you travel......yeah, about that, I travel all the time for work. Actually I watched T-Mobile's coverage map before making the switch because of that. T-Mobile doubled their coverage last year. Now, even if you look up into boondock areas of states, T-Mobile has some coverage. Don't believe me? Look at T-Mobile's coverage for Pryor, Oklahoma, how about looking the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. These areas are a couple of the areas I work in. Zero issue.

You are free to do so.

As I said above, I travel for work, all over the country. You know what the biggest issue is I see with T-Mobile? In the more out of the way areas, I only get 2-3 bars of LTE outside, then 1-2 inside the hotel. Never had a dropped call, never had Sirius cut out on my phone, wifi calling is clearer and sharper on T-Mobile than it was on AT&T, hell wifi calling is more consistent on T-Mobile, doesn't take as long to connect. The only thing I prefer about AT&T and Verizon right now is the coverage. That being said, T-Mobile isn't far behind, in speed or coverage. As I said earlier, they doubled their coverage last year, if they can even increase it 25% this year, that's the same expanse as last year, and will give them drastically more coverage overall.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So what I'm going to do is have T-Mobile pay my ETF and I'm gonna then get a 6 plus on T-Mobile. I miss the extra screen space and battery life too much compared to the 6s. I'm not going to be able to do it until the end of the month though because I can't afford to just drop 600 bucks and wait a month or so for the reimbursement.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't appreciate being called a liar. I've even made a sincere attempt to get this thread back on topic. Carry on if you wish, but it is the last time I will comment.

I also didn't say you were a liar, I was just refuting your point with my own current experiences with T-Mobile using an iPhone and traveling all the time for work. I have never once experienced any of the issues you had, whenever it was you were on T-Mobile.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
You are more than free to disagree, but that does not make my terrible experience with T-Mobile any less valid.

I never said it did. More like it all depends where you live and what coverage is like in your area. Sorry for your misinterpretation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox