16GB or 64GB 6s?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see how something unused is better.
If I have 4 bedrooms in my appartments but only use 2, it's wasted space.

If I'm recently married and me and my wife will possibly have children we aren't going to move into a one bedroom apartment. We are going to move into a place that has space for us to grow IF we decide to grow. Why move into a smaller apartment only for your living situation and family situation to change a year from now? Then you're stuck.

You using 2 bedrooms means 1 wasn't enough, right? It would suck to have moved into a 1 bedroom (16gb) apartment only to find out that you probably should have went with 2(64gb).

This seems like a really simple concept to me. Protect yourself from the possibility of a lifestyle change that will have you using more of your device. If you limit yourself to 16GB you may find yourself upset down the line when you realize you actually need more. Especially since 16GB isn't really 16GB.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If I'm recently married and me and my wife will possibly have children we aren't going to move into a one bedroom apartment. We are going to move into a place that has space for us to grow IF we decide to grow. Why move into a smaller apartment only for your living situation and family situation to change a year from now? Then you're stuck.

You using 2 bedrooms means 1 wasn't enough, right? It would suck to have moved into a 1 bedroom (16gb) apartment only to find out that you probably should have went with 2(64gb).

This seems like a really simple concept to me. Protect yourself from the possibility of a lifestyle change that will have you using more of your device. If you limit yourself to 16GB you may find yourself upset down the line when you realize you actually need more. Especially since 16GB isn't really 16GB.

It is, indeed, a very simple concept. You go with what suits your needs and budget.

Like a 16GB iPhone, it's their cheapest iteration and with all the cloud options, for some type of users, it won't be an issue.
I had a 16GB iPhone 6 for a while, keeping my visual media in Google Photos and streaming my music and always had between 6.5 ans 7 GB free.

So it really depends on your needs, there is no 'wrong' choice.

Like my apartment. I bought one with two bedrooms, one is currently an office. Because that's what suited my needs and budget. If I ever need more space, I'll sell and buy accordingly.

I could have gotten a Porsche, for all the extra horsepower.
But if I never go above 75 mph, it would have rendered them useless so I could have bought a less expensive car that suited my needs better.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It is, indeed, a very simple concept. You go with what suits your needs and budget.

Like a 16GB iPhone, it's their cheapest iteration and with all the cloud options, for some type of users, it won't be an issue.
I had a 16GB iPhone 6 for a while, keeping my visual media in Google Photos and streaming my music and always had between 6.5 ans 7 GB free.

So it really depends on your needs, there is no 'wrong' choice.

Like my apartment. I bought one with two bedrooms, one is currently an office. Because that's what suited my needs and budget. If I ever need more space, I'll sell and buy accordingly.

I could have gotten a Porsche, for all the extra horsepower.
But if I never go above 75 mph, it would have rendered them useless so I could have bought a less expensive car that suited my needs better.

It certainly is about needs. But needs change. He may need more space than a 16GB iPhone will allow a year from now. So why limit yourself if you have the ability to purchase a higher option that will allow you more comfort down the line? I'd never recommend a 16 GB. That's just me. I'd only recommend it if you truly can't afford a higher memory model. I've worked for a wireless carrier and I've seen far too many people come in upset because their space is running low. iOS updates not working, applications not updating, camera not working. Stuff like that. In my opinion, it is best to prepare yourself for the possibility of your needs increasing if you have the means to do so. I would assume the OP has those means otherwise there is no point in asking the question.

How difficult would it be for the OP to sell his 16 GB phone and purchase a higher memory model down the line if he needs the extra space? Would he lose money doing that? Is it worth the hassle? Why not get the extra memory now? His original question says that he doesn't want to have to delete apps and photos just to free up space. Why suggest the low memory phone which has a greater chance of that occurring? He said 16 GB seems like it's a little bit. He said 32 GB would be ideal. Which means there is a strong chance 16 GB is not going to be enough. The next and only option is the 64 GB.

And the Porsche example isn't applicable. I can't see anyones needs calling for a Porsche. A better example is do you and your significant other purchase a two seater or a sedan?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want to go to far off topic...but, I personally look at storage space like this, I might not need it today or tomorrow, but the way things are going, I'm going to need it whenever. So for ME .."it's better to have and not need (today), than to need and not have (future)".
Another way I look at "it"....if you fail to plan, then plan to fail.

There really is no right or wrong answer. Everyone uses their devices differently, but common sense does come into play. Storage space isn't always about music, photos and contacts. Space is being consumed from various sources.
Bottom line, get what you want and if it doesn't work out for you, then you have gained important experience on what's best for YOU.

Just my .02 cents

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I really don't want to go to far off topic...but, I personally look at storage space like this, I might not need it today or tomorrow, but the way things are going, I'm going to need it whenever. So for ME .."it's better to have and not need (today), than to need and not have (future)".
Another way I look at "it"....if you fail to plan, then plan to fail.

There really is no right or wrong answer. Everyone uses their devices differently, but common sense does come into play. Storage space isn't always about music, photos and contacts. Space is being consumed from various sources.
Bottom line, get what you want and if it doesn't work out for you, then you have gained important experience on what's best for YOU.

Just my .02 cents

That makes much sense, thanks =)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree with @Spencerdl. I've bought the lowest since the beginning but I started using it for more. Switched to the mid level and have been ok so far but times I get close and have to delete some stuff. I could probably go to the largest storage next time.

My "needs" changed over time and the lower capacity versions just won't cut it.

gilligan793

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
For the longest time 16 has been getting me by so I got a 16gb 6s...now I wish I would've went 64gb. I find that I am doing more with my phone than in the past with photos and it doesn't take long for that to overtake my phone lol.

arwaldon4

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on what you'll use it for. I have the 128GB and all my music is stored on it. Along with a few skate videos and movies I have. But most of that stuff can be stored/accessed from the cloud. So Google Play Music or Apple Music and other streaming services rule. And I have T-Mobile with unlimited data so I'm set on that front.

I Love Apple

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
64 GB. Why? Because did u know you only have almost 12 GB to use be cause of apple's apps. So 16 GB isn't smart. So if you take tons of pictures, download apps , get more bang for your buck and get 64 GB

Posted via the iMore App for Android

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a 64/6S and its already down to 49 GB and have not that much on it few pictures/songs and some videos do yourself a favor and get the 64 you will not regret it .

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2