Battery Percentage Stuck & Jumping (Software or HW issue?)

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. Has anyone else noticed the following:

When I plug my 6s into charge and go back shortly after and check it the percentage is either the same or maybe 1 or 2 percent higher. I will then wait another 10 minutes and go back and when I check the percentage is significant higher.

After charging I reboot my phone and the percentage after rebooting is 5-7% higher than it was before I did.

I have researched this and see many many people experiencing it. I have the latest iOS updates and my phone is just a couple days old. I have also reset by holding the power and home button.

Is this a hardware issue or software bug? I have seen many post staying their battery percentages remain stuck or jumping even after updating the iOS. If it's a software bug returning for an exchange probably won't do anything as I may very well experience the same whereas if it's hardware then of course it's best I return it.

Thoughts or insight?

latinking91

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the same thing going on with mine, sometimes I have to do a double take like did it just jump? I have the 6s too and mines been on since xmas updated and everything. So hopefully someone has insight?

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I have read up on it quite a bit today and it looks to be a software related issue. Hopefully others can chime in, I just reset all settings on my phone and will see next time I charge whether it helped.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed this at all. This is the first I've heard of it. Try calibrating the % indicator by allowing the battery to drain down until it shuts off. Then charge it up to 100 %. Let it continue to charge for another 30 minutes or so. Leave it alone while charging. See if that helps.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
After trying the following I have returned the device since I am within my 14 days and exchanged it for a 128gb 6s (they did not have 64gb in the color I wanted).

* Reset by pressing the home button and power button
* Reset all settings
* Reset all content and settings
* Make sure I have the latest iOS update
* Letting the phone battery deplete until the phone turns off on it's own and then charging to 100%

I will report back once I have a chance to see how the battery in this new phone is.

All the best.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed this at all. This is the first I've heard of it. Try calibrating the % indicator by allowing the battery to drain down until it shuts off. Then charge it up to 100 %. Let it continue to charge for another 30 minutes or so. Leave it alone while charging. See if that helps.

I am glad you are not experiencing the issue, most did not know they were until rebooting the phone after a partial charge - they then see the meter percentage jump showing a higher percentage versus what was shown prior to rebooting it. Next time you do a partial charge (say from 60% to 85%) reboot your phone and see if it shows 85% once rebooted? All the best.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this with my 6s, but I did se this very thing with my daughter's 5. I monitored it for awhile, did a full wipe and "set up as new" on it and when the issue did not go away, we took it in to the Apple Store. They ran some diagnostics on it and reported that the battery was wearing down and would never truly charge to "full". It was an older phone so not surprising. I doubt yours has that issue since the 6S is so new, but maybe you have a faulty battery. If you live close to an Apple Store, I'd suggest you go have them run a diagnostic on it.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen this with my 6s, but I did se this very thing with my daughter's 5. I monitored it for awhile, did a full wipe and "set up as new" on it and when the issue did not go away, we took it in to the Apple Store. They ran some diagnostics on it and reported that the battery was wearing down and would never truly charge to "full". It was an older phone so not surprising. I doubt yours has that issue since the 6S is so new, but maybe you have a faulty battery. If you live close to an Apple Store, I'd suggest you go have them run a diagnostic on it.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight. Because I am within my 14 day return period, not close to an Apple Store and experience snowy winter weather I opted to exchange it for a new one. I now have a 128gb 6s and will report back once I have a chance to test it out :)

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I appreciate your insight. Because I am within my 14 day return period, not close to an Apple Store and experience snowy winter weather I opted to exchange it for a new one. I now have a 128gb 6s and will report back once I have a chance to test it out :)

Good. Let us know how the new one does.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am glad you are not experiencing the issue, most did not know they were until rebooting the phone after a partial charge - they then see the meter percentage jump showing a higher percentage versus what was shown prior to rebooting it. Next time you do a partial charge (say from 60% to 85%) reboot your phone and see if it shows 85% once rebooted? All the best.

The only time I've seen this behavior is with an older phone where the battery is waning. With newer phones, it's usually the % indicator not calibrated properly with the battery. Yours may have had a hardware issue. But it's not the OS. And it's most likely not the battery. It's probably the % indicator. If you think you have a battery gone bad, try this test.

Battery test
Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute. If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Reporting back - So far I am not seeing the issue with my new phone. I will keep my eyes on it and report back should anything change.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner