Among other things I use it on the MacID app to quickly unlock my iMac
    Got that app today. It was free
    11-27-2015 07:26 PM
    Nice! I didn't even realize MacID had it. Entirely missed that. Definately makes it even faster to unlock now!
    11-27-2015 07:44 PM
    Tks for the tip.
    Good Luck
    11-27-2015 08:42 PM
    I use it with the AssistiveTouch function. A force touch on the AssistiveTouch button locks the screen and a normal tap works like the home button.
    I have small hands, so I find it quite useful to have both home and power button on the screen.
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-28-2015 07:01 AM
    I use it with the AssistiveTouch function. A force touch on the AssistiveTouch button locks the screen and a normal tap works like the home button.
    I have small hands, so I find it quite useful to have both home and power button on the screen.
    How do you do that? Doesn't work on mine
    11-28-2015 09:28 AM
    I only use it for the track pad function. Occasionally for the app switcher as well. Aside from that it's fairly pointless to me.
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-28-2015 11:43 AM
    How do you do that? Doesn't work on mine
    Same here.
    11-28-2015 02:44 PM
    Settings - General - AssistiveTouch - Customize Top Level Menu - 3D Touch Action
    TurboTiger likes this.
    11-28-2015 06:04 PM
    The one I find most useful is the quick launch for Maps. On the way to work in the morning, it has "Directions to work" as the top option. Any other time it's "Directions home". It comes in handy for the traffic re-routiung when there's a problem- especially if you live in a congested area.
    11-28-2015 07:58 PM
    Settings - General - AssistiveTouch - Customize Top Level Menu - 3D Touch Action
    Tks for the tip.
    I find that you have to put a lot more pressure on the screen to get this to work on Assistive Touch. I don't know why.
    However, I like being able to customize the screen by adding icon.
    Tks again
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 11-29-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    11-28-2015 09:46 PM
    My list would be

Keyboard track pad (although I'm using SwiftKey and it doesn't allow that)

Maps for directions home in the waze app.

And the one that I use the most is the 3 quick contacts. I have the necessary ones. Mom,dad and my wife.

The quick dial is the one I use about 5 times a day. It's super handy. All the rest I usually forget about.

Just read about the app switcher one. Thanks for that tip also.
    robertk328 and Nickkk101 like this.
    11-29-2015 12:26 AM
    1. Peeking and popping in Email app, or using the actionable gestures from peek.
    2. Keyboard trackpad to move the cursor around and select text.
    How do you select text? I can use as a trackpad but I don't know how you select text.

I have just figured it out, you hold down the keyboard and then don't press so hard as a trackpad and then you press to select text.
    11-30-2015 03:21 AM
    How do you select text? I can use as a trackpad but I don't know how you select text.

I have just figured it out, you hold down the keyboard and then don't press so hard as a trackpad and then you press to select text.
    Glad you figured it out. Text selection takes some getting used to. As you're using the trackpad you have to let up a little on your press, then press down again to start selecting.
    iwoodland likes this.
    11-30-2015 05:59 AM
    meh i dont find 3d touch useful at all except the trackpad thing on the keyboard
    11-30-2015 03:16 PM
    Hands down!!! ....trackpad mode to move the cursor and select text.
    11-30-2015 05:33 PM
    I use it frequently in safari and iMessage. I love instagram's implementation as well. Tweetbot is another third party app that makes good use of it.
    12-01-2015 03:42 AM
    My list would be

Keyboard track pad (although I'm using SwiftKey and it doesn't allow that)

Maps for directions home in the waze app.

And the one that I use the most is the 3 quick contacts. I have the necessary ones. Mom,dad and my wife.

The quick dial is the one I use about 5 times a day. It's super handy. All the rest I usually forget about.

Just read about the app switcher one. Thanks for that tip also.
    never even knew about the 'quick contact' one, that a great tip. I see that WhatsApp just added 3D touch to access chats this morning. good to see it coming to more apps.
    12-01-2015 06:12 AM
    Great thread - I've learnt a lot of good uses of 3D Touch. I think the main problem is that it is not intuitive: unless you try force touching everything (or read threads like this) then you miss out on lots of things that it can do for you.

It's not so bad with the home screen icons, where you can easily force touch to see what shortcuts are available, but when running apps it is not so obvious what force touching can do for you.

For example I have written an app where force touch can be used to easily pan around a map, but I know that the majority of users won't have a clue that it is available.

Maybe Apple need to come up with some way of helping users know what 3D touch features are available? Perhaps if the user does some unlikely force touch operation (force touch with 4 fingers at once?) then an information window could appear describing the available operations.

That way people only need to remember to try this one obscure gesture on an app to see what force touch can do for them. It would also be easy for developers to implement as they would just specify what text should be displayed when the obscure force touch gesture is performed.

This example is far from ideal, but do I think that Apple need some (hopefully more elegant) way to help users find out what force touch features are available.
    12-01-2015 12:38 PM
    I think the main problem is that it is not intuitive: unless you try force touching everything (or read threads like this) then you miss out on lots of things that it can do for you.
    I agree with this 100%. I'm not sure what the answer is: animations that show potential force touch targets (until you use them a few times)? Some sort of onscreen hint (skeumorphic or otherwise?) It's hard to think of how to train a user that 3d touch exists in a casual, useful way without a quick explanation. That's one of the reasons that I'm not so excited about it - almost all of the uses of it are just replicas of things that you can do in other ways anyway, and some don't even save steps.

One of my main gripes is with the app Overcast. Sometimes when I 3d Touch the app icon it has a top option to resume the last episode that I was listening to - but sometimes that isn't there. I don't get why it would be different. This is the one thing I want to do with Overcast every time - just resume where I last left off (or go on to the next item in my playlist.) Because I can't know whether it will give me that choice each time, it's just easier to open the app and restart where I was the "old-fashioned" way.

Hopefully Apple will figure these things out. Right now I can generally get by without it, though. As I said, I do the keyboard/trackpad sometimes, but otherwise I just rarely use it.
    12-01-2015 01:41 PM
    I'm afraid I use 3D Touch very sparingly, but usually, when I do use it, it's to activate the camera (typically to select the selfie option).
    12-01-2015 09:55 PM
    My biggest use to date is New Note shortcut for Evernote, and with yesterday's Chrome update, I expect to be using the Voice Search shortcut quite a bit.

But the biggest thing really is to re-train yourself to do things differently. We get so used to using our devices a certain way, that often a new shortcut takes time for our muscle memory to learn. I experienced that when I picked up a Note Edge last February...had to re-train myself to use the Edge functions.
    12-02-2015 09:12 AM
    My girlfriend uses it for photos but from what I can see Apple really over-sold it. It's certainly not enough to make me upgrade..
    12-02-2015 04:45 PM
    Just reading all these messages makes me quite thrilled to upgrade next year. Looking forward to using this feature.
    12-03-2015 09:03 AM
    Just read about this one that I think was mentioned here but wasn't sure how it worked.

Take a picture of something. Here's my steering wheel (before I took the photo).

I would usually go to photos to check it but force press the tiny thumbnail in the bottom brings up a full preview. Force press more brings up edit functions.
    eyecrispy and john_v like this.
    12-03-2015 02:41 PM
    I use the keyboard tracking.
    12-07-2015 01:02 PM
51 123