How good is 2 GB Ram?

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting an iPhone, and I've generally been looking at either the 6 or 6s. 3d touch isn't a huge pull for me, although stuff like accessing the multitasking menu with it and moving the cursor look really nice and would be something I would probably use, although again, not having it isn't a dealbreaker. But the big question for me is the extra speed. From what I understand the A8 to A9 performance bump is bigger than A7 to A8 (Correct me if I'm wrong).

But for someone who uses iPhone for browsing, light gaming (my games run smoothly on an iPad mini 2), is the extra RAM worth the extra $$$? The tab reloading thing isn't a huge deal for me on my mini 2, and I'm guessing it will be less of a problem the iPhone user agent means lighter pages, but I'm also worried about futureproofing (As in, how long before 1 GB of RAM is way too tight for iOS?)

Thanks for your help.

PS. How much free RAM does one normally have on iPhone 6 vs 6S with all apps closed?

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
1GB ram is slow. the 2GB is 100% worth the price. But the price includes a lot more than 1GB ram.
the Processor is 70% faster. GPU is 90% faster. That's a massive increase.
Camera on front goes to 5MP instead of 1.2MP. Back from 8MP to 12MP.
Finger Print reader is 2nd gen that is 2X faster.
7000 series aluminum ( .2mm thicker than 6 / 6+ from last year)
Force touch... meh. I think it's too gimmicky. I don't hate it or love it. Live photo is cool.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that the 1Gb is very sufficient for normal use. The 6 is very fast and fluid here. No need for "faster gpu and zillion other things faster";)
All games runs without hiccup and the whole OS just flies.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree with everything stated here and personally for the double RAM and all these reasons I would not even consider the 6 (or 6 Plus) at this point. The double RAM makes the biggest difference in Safari -- with the 6 and 6 Plus literally the second you navigated away from a page in Safari it would be dumped and would have to reload upon return, and that really slowed things down. This never happens with the 6s/6s Plus.

TouchID v2 in addition to being ridiculously fast, works mush better with wet fingertips (think sweat when working out) or dust interference. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it is -- just works much better this year.

Get the the 6s.

1GB ram is slow. the 2GB is 100% worth the price. But the price includes a lot more than 1GB ram.
the Processor is 70% faster. GPU is 90% faster. That's a massive increase.
Camera on front goes to 5MP instead of 1.2MP. Back from 8MP to 12MP.
Finger Print reader is 2nd gen that is 2X faster.
7000 series aluminum ( .2mm thicker than 6 / 6+ from last year)
Force touch... meh. I think it's too gimmicky. I don't hate it or love it. Live photo is cool.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The extra gig of RAM has made a big difference in Safari. Everything seems smoother and loading is much better. 3D Touch may not be a big draw for you, but the live photos are cool. The s phone is stronger in build. The casing is much stronger and the screen is the toughest made to date.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The s upgrade cycle is usually most/all internal upgrades, in a way it makes the biggest difference, even though people are more focused on the non-s upgrades (like 5 to 6), as there are more external differences easily seen. 6s to 6 is much more robust device with all the features cited here. Did you know the GPU is a 6 core?!?!?!?!?!

I am surprised at how much I like the 3D Touch as apps have incorporated it, I didn't it would be worth much to me. I can get into apps and do things much faster than in former phones. Photos, texts, reading unreads news articles, quick emails, it really adds up in the day. The 6 was a great phone, 6s is better. I would say if you can afford/willing to pay the price difference you won't be sorry. If you can't the 6 is a good phone you will be happy with too - just not as future proof along with the new features.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The extra gig of RAM has made a big difference in Safari. Everything seems smoother and loading is much better. 3D Touch may not be a big draw for you, but the live photos are cool. The s phone is stronger in build. The casing is much stronger and the screen is the toughest made to date.

I'm hoping the extra RAM keeps Safari from having to refresh the tabs as often when switching between them.

The extra features of the 's' make it a no-brainer. Stronger build, live phtos, 3d touch, and a better camera, plus the faster processor....

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping the extra RAM keeps Safari from having to refresh the tabs as often when switching between them.

As I already stated ... I have never had a Safari page have to reload with the 6s/ 6s Plus due to the double RAM, whereas they reloaded everytime with the 6 and 6 Plus

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Considering iOS has done well with just 1GB of RAM, I would say 2GB should service you well for a couple of years.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73