New Apple "rental" iPhone 6s not factory unlocked

I

iMore Question

I live in two cities?LA and Tokyo. When last in LA a few weeks ago, I "bought" a 6s under the new Apple iPhone rental scheme announced alongside the 6s. I was assured in the store that it was factory unlocked and it came with an AT&T SIM. On getting to Tokyo, I put the SIM in it from my Softbank oldish iPhone 6 and it shows the SB SIM as unrecognized! A visit to the Apple Store Japan was met with dumbfounded stares and suggestions it is a Softbank problem.
Does anyone here REALLY know the exact unlock status of iPhone 6s units rented from Apple under the new scheme?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I live in two cities—LA and Tokyo. When last in LA a few weeks ago, I "bought" a 6s under the new Apple iPhone rental scheme announced alongside the 6s. I was assured in the store that it was factory unlocked and it came with an AT&T SIM. On getting to Tokyo, I put the SIM in it from my Softbank oldish iPhone 6 and it shows the SB SIM as unrecognized! A visit to the Apple Store Japan was met with dumbfounded stares and suggestions it is a Softbank problem.
Does anyone here REALLY know the exact unlock status of iPhone 6s units rented from Apple under the new scheme?

if it had a ATT sim pre installed i would assume they gave you the wrong model. You can call Apple in the US to swap for a unlocked model or ATT and Request a Unlock

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
If you used the Apple Upgrade Program to purchase the device, did you fulfill the terms of the program by activating in on an approved service provider before you left for Japan?