Calling All Android AND iPhone Users!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all!

I'm contemplating taking a vacation from iOS to Android. I was eyeing up the Nexus 6P (or maybe a Galaxy). Switching service is as easy as popping out my nano SIM and moving it from one phone to the other.

My biggest concern is iMessages. IF I do this, I'll make sure to turn off iMessage on my iPhone and also deregister my number from the Apple network. I'm just wondering how this will work if I decide to switch back? Looking for some input from anyone who switch back and forth between the 2 operating systems.

Thank you!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No issue switching back.

Well, when you will switch back to the Dark Side, just re-enable iMessages on your iPhone =)

Whoa, thanks for the quick responses! So I'm able to turn off iMessage/deregister from Apple and then if/when I switch back I can just reactivate iMessage (I'm assuming it will just re-register my number with the Apple network)?

I love my iPhone but I've had this Android itch for awhile now. I like the Nexus phones because they are priced reasonably (small investment if I don't like the experience) and have some great features (I hate all the pre-installed software most manufacturers put on their devices).

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep, you are able to =)

And have you considered the Nexus 5X?

Partially - I currently have an iPhone 6S. I like the form factor but I've been wanting to get more of a phablet. I think I like the idea of a phablet but in reality it probably isn't a good fit for me. Not sure how the battery life is vs the 6P. Thoughts?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Partially - I currently have an iPhone 6S. I like the form factor but I've been wanting to get more of a phablet. I think I like the idea of a phablet but in reality it probably isn't a good fit for me. Not sure how the battery life is vs the 6P. Thoughts?

Well the battery life is definitely better on the Plus.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No matter what I do, when I switch I have intermittent messaging issues. Primarily with group messages with my wife and siblings-in-law. To that end, I'm working on not switching lol

Last edited:

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Howdy all!

I'm contemplating taking a vacation from iOS to Android. I was eyeing up the Nexus 6P (or maybe a Galaxy). Switching service is as easy as popping out my nano SIM and moving it from one phone to the other.

My biggest concern is iMessages. IF I do this, I'll make sure to turn off iMessage on my iPhone and also deregister my number from the Apple network. I'm just wondering how this will work if I decide to switch back? Looking for some input from anyone who switch back and forth between the 2 operating systems.

Thank you!

This is coming from an Ex-Note 4 / Galaxy S6 edge+ owner

Do not buy a Samsung phone ever!

1) Their reception is inferior to other phones, I would get 2 bars in my room but with other phones I get 3 bars, I googled this and it seems like all their phones have this crappy reception thing which will decrease your battery run time as the phone is struggling to aquire a better signal

2) They are the last to give users security/OS updates, just like they did with Lollipop, now they are doing the same mistake with Marshmallow, they won't release it until the first quarter of next year whereas other manufacturers have already started rolling it out. This means you won't be on top of the latest and greatest OS nor will you be getting the latest security patches.

3) The Note 5 and S6 edge+ have a serious lagging issue when unlocking the phone that was partially fixed with a firmware update but is still there and is super annoying: See: Freezing & unresponsive - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

4) When you first get a Galaxy Phone, it is fast and snappy, give it a day or two after loading all your apps and see how laggy it gets!

5) The Samsung bloatware is appalling, market feedback agent, Ant+ Radio Service, SAPAMonitor, etc.... you can disable them with Package Disabler Pro but then from my experience, the battery life suffered even more, I don't know how is this so as I expected it to get better but it was the opposite, this phone doesn't seem to behave well if you disable core components of the OS

6) The standby time is insane! On all Galaxy phones, charge it to full, close all apps, lock the phone, then check the phone in 10 mins and you'll notice the battery life went down by 1 or 2% like what the heck! I didn't even tough the freakin' thing and I have limited all background data and closed all apps! Another bug with Samsung phones

7) I don't know if you've seen the Nexus 6P bend videos but that thing seems to be fragile as heck! I wouldn't put my money towards it

just my 2 cents, I still have the Galaxy S6 edge+ 64GB but just bought an iPhone 6S so I am not biased towards any phone really, just stating the facts.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Howdy all!

Thank you!

Toggle off "Find My iPhone" as well.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just pick up the Blackberry priv as my second device and it's a nice android device apple still trumps the phone market.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Snappy Phoenix

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Not at all if not in use.

Find My iPhone only uses GPS (and therefore battery) when the app is activated on your phone or from another device, otherwise it just remains dormant.
Thanks mate, the battery discharge rate of this iPhone 6S is night and day better than my previous Galaxy S6 edge+ even with Find my iPhone toggle switch set to on, just wanted to confirm. Cheers

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Glad I was able to spark some discussion (and maybe help some other users in the process). I'm going to add another dimension to my dilemma. I think I might just be itching for a bigger phone and am now considering the 6S Plus instead of an Android. Thoughts?!

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Go with your gut. I have lived a full Blackberry, Android and iPhone life. As I've gotten older and wiser I picked what I felt to be the best option. Loved Android customizable options. I just don't have the time to play with themes anymore. I just want it to work for and with me.

anon6040766

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Howdy all!

Thank you!

Check with your carrier. In many instances you can't just switch your SIM. Switching the SIM will give you cellular ability but not data. You most likely have to call the carrier and provide the other IMEI so they can provision your data plan appropriately.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Check with your carrier. In many instances you can't just switch your SIM. Switching the SIM will give you cellular ability but not data. You most likely have to call the carrier and provide the other IMEI so they can provision your data plan appropriately.

Being a habitual device switcher, it IS as easy as just putting your SIM in a different phone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner