Brand new 6S with fresh restore of OS and first sync = 50GB of "other storage"!!!

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Just opened my wife's 6S. Restored the OS just to ensure nice clean copy. Set up iPhone as new (did NOT restore from backup). Added music, TV shows, photos, apps that totaled 80GB. Sync'd 6S. Now telling me it has 50GB of "other" and cannot sync the phone because it's over storage space. What??? Literally never used. No web browsing, no texting, no nothing. WTH??? When I unplug and plug back in the phone with a USB cable, at first the summary bar in iTunes shows the CORRECT amount of storage for all items (i.e.; shows the same info I see in Settings>General>Usage) for the big storage apps (photos, videos, music), then the "other" bar swells to a massive 50GB and no syncing anymore. This cannot be the result of files that have grown over time and this is an immense amount of "other" space. Every solution I've read refers to restoring the phone as new. But, that's what I just did and the problem started from the beginning. Makes me think there is a problem with an iTunes file, but I don't know which one. Any suggestions???

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Ah the vague "other storage" issue... confirm you used iTunes to setup the iPhone from the start? Or did you setup as new on the iPhone and then sync to iTunes?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Ah the vague "other storage" issue... confirm you used iTunes to setup the iPhone from the start? Or did you setup as new on the iPhone and then sync to iTunes?

Correct. Unwrapped phone, plugged into MacbookPro. Launched iTunes, indicated iOS 9. Did Option+Restore and selected 9.0.2 firmware (I'm confident I used the correct one) and restored. After restore, selected "restore as new" in iTunes and selected apps, music, photos, etc then hit "Sync". It turns out the sync was repeatedly interrupted as iTunes would believe the phone was full due to the 50GB of "other". The ultimate solution was to reboot the iPhone. After that, the "other" dropped down to a few GB and has been fine since. Dumb as all heck and frustrating.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Tech support 101... reboot the device lol. Glad you resolved the problem, who knows what was going on since as you saw the "other" data is vague at best.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I also ways do a hard reset and reboot my iDevices after installing any iOS changes. Like what you saw it saves a whole lot of frustration.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234