imap.gmail.com problem - Is this an Apple hardware or software issue?

alanhp1

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Since upgrading to the 6s I have a recurring Gmail problem with all Gmail-based accounts.

I frequently am unable to connect to Gmail, using the iPhone email app, and get a message saying there is a connection problem with imap.gmail.com.

This is always corrected by rebooting the phone. This makes me think this is an Apple software or hardware problem and not a problem at Google.

Anyone else experiencing this. Anyone have a more permanent solution?

Thanks

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have two Gmail accounts setup with IMAP turned on for both (personal and work) and I do not experience the problem you are describing. Need more info but you have to turn on IMAP in Gmail settings on the web and then setup Gmail on your iPhone using the provided setup routine in settings/mail, contact, calendars/add account/Google

sgrizzle

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it's an iOS 9 problem. I can add and remove the account and that will clear it up at least temporarily, but I've got 6 gmail accounts on two devices and they get the error at random intervals. My accounts will work fine and then just stop. An account on my iPad that worked for 6 months just stopped yesterday with this error. I've done the captcha thing and even tried switching to two factor.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue intermittently. I removed and reestablished my Gmail account in iOS over the weekend and haven't had any issues since then.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Only in my case the email will actually update. I just get that error from time to time. So I just disregard it.

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have gmail and haven't experienced any problem at all with receiving or sending messages. I would try a soft boot and see if it clears up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 6 Gmail accounts on my stock Mail app. I see quirks all the time. Things I don't see with iCloud, Comcast or Outlook. So my conclusion is it's Google.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have these issues several times a day with my Gmail on my iPhone 5S & iPad Air.
Hard resets works for a while.
Deleting the Gmail account works for a while.
I'm just dealing with it till it gets fixed.
No issues with a Gmail n my MacBook
Good Luck

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sort of wondering why people don't use the gmail app (or the Google inbox app) for gmail accounts? Since Google started the separate tabs for social, promotions, updates, and forums, I only get notifications for important emails that way, and the apps are rock solid. With the stock mail app, all of those promotion, etc., emails notify me as much as the regular in box does.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sort of wondering why people don't use the gmail app (or the Google inbox app) for gmail accounts? Since Google started the separate tabs for social, promotions, updates, and forums, I only get notifications for important emails that way, and the apps are rock solid. With the stock mail app, all of those promotion, etc., emails notify me as much as the regular in box does.

For me, the hiccups are few and far between. The Gmail accounts work well most of the time. And I like all my mail under the same roof. I like the stock Mail app.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I used to love having Gmail with push but since that changed i just setup forwarding and have all my gmail pushed to my icloud so its instant again!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I used to love having Gmail with push but since that changed i just setup forwarding and have all my gmail pushed to my icloud so its instant again!

That's what I did to gmail - all of my accounts forward to gmail; I have gmail set up to reply from the address that the email was sent to (though I can easily change it while replying if I want to); that gives me unified inbox in the Gmail app with push (though I actually use the Google InBox app for mail these days.) Actually my iPhone typically gets messages before they show up in Gmail on a browser on my Mac.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77