On Apple's page for buying the iPhone 6s, it says:

If you have selected an iPhone for T-Mobile, it will come with the appropriate nano-SIM, but you will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Store to activate your iPhone.

I was thinking of buying the unlocked, no-contract T-Mobile iPhone 6s from Apple. I would like to use it like without a service plan (like an iPod touch). However, what it says on Apple's website makes it seem like I would need to go to an Apple store or a T-Mobile store to activate it/set it up. Is there any way I could activate it/set it up from home instead?
    10-18-2015 11:32 AM
    I can only assume Apple is correct, but I also *assume* that and compatible SIM can be inserted for the purpose of activating the device. I don't really know because I don't buy new iPhones for the sole purpose of using it as an iPod Touch. I'd get an iPod Touch. Anyway, try contacting T-mobile and see what they recommend.
    10-18-2015 11:37 AM
    I can only assume Apple is correct, but I also *assume* that and compatible SIM can be inserted for the purpose of activating the device. I don't really know because I don't buy new iPhones for the sole purpose of using it as an iPod Touch. I'd get an iPod Touch. Anyway, try contacting T-mobile and see what they recommend.
    Do you think that Apple could be referring to activating the T-Mobile SIM that comes with the phone, instead of activating the iPhone?
    10-18-2015 11:56 AM
    Do you think that Apple could be referring to activating the T-Mobile SIM that comes with the phone, instead of activating the iPhone?
    My assumption is yes. Activating would activating the sim for service on T-Mobile. Activating or setting up your device only would involve just your iCloud account. I would definitely contact Apple Support first for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-18-2015 06:49 PM
    1-800-275-2273 - Applecare+
    10-18-2015 07:07 PM