Fragile 6s Screen?

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've owned my new 6s for 5 days. Yesterday, It fell from my car seat approximately 2ft onto my cement garage floor and landed almost flat, face down. The screen cracked at the top right hand corner and bottom left corner

I've dropped my earlier iPhones from far greater heights and never cracked a screen. I've even dropped my work iPhone which isn't kept in a case. The iPhone was in a Tech22 case as a temp measure until I could get a Lifeproof, when they become available. The screen also was protected with a Gorilla Glass screen protector installed by Verizon.

I'm really pissed. I'm wondering if the new screen is just more fragile than the ones on my earlier iPhones because of the pressure sensitivity, or whether this was just dumb luck.

I'm going back to Verizon today. I put a claim in for insurance coverage (Asurion purchased through Verizon), and the deductible still is $229. Apple wants $129 to replace the screen. I'm hoping Verizon will offer something better.

In any event, I am losing the Tech21 case and buying an Otterbox Defender. I prefer a waterproof case and used a Preserver on my old 5s, but a heavy duty case appears to be a necessity with the 6s.

Anyone else have issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
What issue? Dropping glass on cement can crack it. Luck of the draw. I've seen them crack from someone's lap getting out of the car but not crack flying off the top of someone's car. Not sure you can call the Screen fragile.

$229 deductible over $129? hmm. Doubt VZW will fix it for anything less than the $229 but good luck.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Strike that. The crack was in only the Gorilla Glass screen protector, which begs other questions.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Strike that. The crack was in only the Gorilla Glass screen protector, which begs other questions.

So I suppose the answer to the thread question is "no"...;)

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That would appear to be a logical conclusion based on my limited experience.

Not impressed with Gorilla Glass screen protectors, which do not appear to be suitably named.

mpham2

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
There have been a lot of drop test performed with the 6s outlasting the 6 from quite a different height. So the new ones should be stronger not weaker.

mustang7757

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Same happened to my wife's 6s , fell out of her hand and cracked glass but still usable ... I'm planning on Apple to replace for 129.00 no insurance on the phone, but Apple said they don't have any screen available at the moment unless I mail it to Apple.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It may have prevented the screen from being scratched, but I doubt the screen would have cracked. I also carry a completely naked 5c work phone which has been through far worse and never cracked.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
My advise... take better care of your phone. ;)
I only dropped my phone like 2x over the last 3 years, and in both occasions it dropped only on my shoe (which is suede), so no damage there.

Many people seem to drop their phones these days, which is ok... but if you do, make sure you get yourself a phone that isn't as expensive as an iPhone.
(I own a 6S, and not even using a case to protect it... but I'm just careful about my hard earned money)

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought my ballistic glass screen protector on Amazon with lifetime warranty. If I do what you did I can email them and they will send a replacement for free. And the one I bought cost $7.95. I don't think you should be unhappy with the screen protector, it saved your phone screen. Screen down on concrete is almost certainly a cracked screen without the protector. Be happy all you need to replace is the screen protector and not the screen.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
It's glass! It doesn't matter if you put something on it, it's glass! There's always a possibility of it breaking. The screen protector did its job. Just be more careful.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the screen is any more fragile than the iPhone 6, it might be how your phone landed when it fell a pose from the other phones that you have dropped.

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the screen is any more fragile than the iPhone 6, it might be how your phone landed when it fell a pose from the other phones that you have dropped.

Sent from my Super iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

The glass on the 6s is actually advertised to be stronger than the 6 but, as you said, it all depends on how it lands. No glass is indestructible.

OP, you lucked out!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
It does not matter how "strong" the glass is, it is still glass and impact at a certain angle and/or at a particular point increases the probability of breaking greatly.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Temperad glass protectors tend to break easily, even with drops that wouldn't normally break or crack you iPhone's screen, at least that's been my experience with them, I still like them though

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It may have prevented the screen from being scratched, but I doubt the screen would have cracked. I also carry a completely naked 5c work phone which has been through far worse and never cracked.

A lot is how the phone lands. I've seen it all which ways with different results. You got lucky your screen was spared. So why the complaint? Glass and concrete don't play well together.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, it's the luck of the draw, random event. Much like flipping heads ten times in a row.

But yes, being that the screen protector cracked and not the screen, it looks like the protector did its job admirably.

rupee

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
My sister bought hers yesterday, exchanged 4s for 6s and besides the fact that it does bend a little, she hasn't had any problems with the screen

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro