Made the move from BlackBerry to iPhone...

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
...and I'm loving it. I've been a bb fan for many years (some of you may remember me from crack berry) and recently made the switch to an iPhone 6s (64gb space gray) from a blackberry z10 (16gb black). So here are my thoughts and a mini review:
Phone:
Well the first thing I noticed is the phone design. The iPhone 6s is miles ahead in terms of design. It just feels like a classy design. One thing I didn't quite like is that it feels fragile but that was easily solved by adding a case. The screen is lovely, force touch is neat (although I wish more games took advantage of it) and the fingerprint scanner is way better than my old work iPhone 5s.
Software:
IOS is nice. I've used it before on my old phone so I know how to navigate already. It's much faster than I remember (probably because of the processor upgrade). I've gotten used to the keyboard although it could be better. Also, I noticed that when I force touch on the keyboard to move the cursor, sometimes it doesn't work.
Camera:
The camera is lovely. I'm not a professional photographer but I LOVE this camera. My old Z10's camera took decent pics, but that's it. Video recording is nice. One thing I don't like about Live Photos is that it's rather choppy. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but a live photo of running water in a river looks bad. Some sample pics I took while at my cottage can be seen here: patrickmaxwell.vsco.co
Battery life:
Yes, I know battery life on iPhones is bad, but somehow it isn't. What used to almost drain my z10 leaves my iPhone with 50+% of battery, and I'm a moderate (and sometimes hardcore) user. I easily get through the day on 1 charge.
Overall:
This phone is great. I hope to find new tricks and hopefully more apps and games take advantage of force touch. I recommend this phone to everyone I know.

Oh, and is there any software tweaks I can do without jailbreaking? I doubt there is but just curious.
Thanks

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Disable 'Background App Refresh' and some 'Location Services'. Certain apps have the 'While Using' option, which is usefull. Set your email (if you have many adresses) to fetch either as infrequently as possible, even manually.
With all that, you will save a LOT more battery =)

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Disable 'Background App Refresh' and some 'Location Services'. Certain apps have the 'While Using' option, which is usefull. Set your email (if you have many adresses) to fetch either as infrequently as possible, even manually.
With all that, you will save a LOT more battery =)

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Thanks! Those were the first things I did and battery life is pretty good. I only wish that I didn't have the Samsung chip, maybe my battery life would've been even better

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
...and I'm loving it. I've been a bb fan for many years (some of you may remember me from crack berry) and recently made the switch to an iPhone 6s (64gb space gray) from a blackberry z10 (16gb black). So here are my thoughts and a mini review:
Phone:
Well the first thing I noticed is the phone design. The iPhone 6s is miles ahead in terms of design. It just feels like a classy design. One thing I didn't quite like is that it feels fragile but that was easily solved by adding a case. The screen is lovely, force touch is neat (although I wish more games took advantage of it) and the fingerprint scanner is way better than my old work iPhone 5s.
Software:
IOS is nice. I've used it before on my old phone so I know how to navigate already. It's much faster than I remember (probably because of the processor upgrade). I've gotten used to the keyboard although it could be better. Also, I noticed that when I force touch on the keyboard to move the cursor, sometimes it doesn't work.
Camera:
The camera is lovely. I'm not a professional photographer but I LOVE this camera. My old Z10's camera took decent pics, but that's it. Video recording is nice. One thing I don't like about Live Photos is that it's rather choppy. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but a live photo of running water in a river looks bad. Some sample pics I took while at my cottage can be seen here: patrickmaxwell.vsco.co
Battery life:
Yes, I know battery life on iPhones is bad, but somehow it isn't. What used to almost drain my z10 leaves my iPhone with 50+% of battery, and I'm a moderate (and sometimes hardcore) user. I easily get through the day on 1 charge.
Overall:
This phone is great. I hope to find new tricks and hopefully more apps and games take advantage of force touch. I recommend this phone to everyone I know.

Oh, and is there any software tweaks I can do without jailbreaking? I doubt there is but just curious.
Thanks

It's force touch being new this year the developers are just getting started for games etc. force touch will be used more in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Live photos are only 12-15 fps, so they'll always appear choppy. They're not meant to be a video so much as a new type of image viewing experience.
Also a camera tip: turn off live photos if you're snapping in low-light conditions, you'll get much better photos. Live photos mess with the exposure and it's really noticeable in low-light.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I'm a defected crackberry user going years back before my transition to Android, and eventually Apple. A few things...

- 3D Touch is new. At the point it's in the hands of app developers to make use of it. That being said, it's starting to pop up in more apps as they update. I'm sure this course will continue and adoption will become pretty widespread.

- When you want to use the keyboard's trackpad feature it's important that you press into the keyboard (peak) without moving your finger around and typing any characters. If you do, just lift your finger off and try again. As this is a new feature, I'm sure Apple will adjust and perfect it in time.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and is there any software tweaks I can do without jailbreaking?

Well, you can't use utililty apps to change the way the phone works like you can with BB or Android. No BeBuzz, no Profile changers, etc.

But if you dig through Settings, you'll find a lot of little things you can experiment with, especially in Notifications. Also check out Zoomed (better for my aging eyes, lol) vs. Standard in Display. And Privacy has Location Services where you can turn off apps which are draining your battery through unecessary GPS use.

Widgets are kinda fun to experiment with too, as they can do all sorts of things like launch apps, call favorite people, show system status, etc. Fun to try and tweak.

And consider signing up for Apple's Beta program if you used to enjoy installing leaks on your BB :)

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Accessibility options also has a ton of things you can tweak like text size, button shapes, contrast, LED flash for alerts, etc.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I read all over diff views on chips but most views read so far was a lot of people said isn't much differenc. All I know I got the other chip not Samsung and battery life is great on a 6s I don't have anything compare it to though

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Dude. The z10 had the worst battery life of any bb10. My z30's battery lasted way longer than this 6s+.

Anyway. How did you transfer your contacts? I can't seem to update them in iTunes.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Dude. The z10 had the worst battery life of any bb10. My z30's battery lasted way longer than this 6s+.

Anyway. How did you transfer your contacts? I can't seem to update them in iTunes.

Not sure what type of Z30 you had, but the one I had couldn't hold a candle to the battery life of my 6s Plus. Not even a close comparison.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Hey! Welcome to iMore, pttptppt! :)

I think you'll find a new "home" here.

I still have a warm place in my heart for all things BlackBerry, but my past of jumping back and forth between the iPhone and the newer crop of BlackBerry devices is well documented. I've had 'em all...Z10, Q10, Z30 and the Classic...and I could never get "comfy". I am now. I believe you'll be comfy with the switch too.

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

For contacts, some of them transferred with my SIM card. Others didn't so I just manually added them

pttptppt

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the posts of support lol. Luckily for me, I already used an iPhone before and I have an iPad so most things feel like home.
I don't even touch my z10 anymore lol!

Oh there is one thing that I've had a problem with. So I play a game called coc and it was linked to my old work iTunes account. So when I wanted the get my old village on it, I signed in with that account temporarily.
The problem is that now I'm on my new account, Game Center keeps popping up and asking if I want to login. If I login, it keeps asking me to restore a th2 account (guess I made it by accident or something)
So I guess I'm asking if there's anyway to link my village to my new Apple ID or if I can disable Game Center?

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative