Stock Keyboard or 3rd Party Keyboard

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I use stock 99% of the time but I also use fleksy for the right side placement to make one handed typing easier on the plus and the built in gif keyboard.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

TranceMist

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
A free keyboard?
How do they make money?

Hrmn...
They have full access to your keyboard to watch what you type.
They have access to your Gmail.

What could possibly go wrong?

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
A free keyboard?
How do they make money?

Hrmn...

Depends on which one, but SwiftKey wasn't free before. They did make tons of money, so now they just make money from theme keyboards you can buy. Read their private privacy, they don't have access to your gmail, and if they did they would be in big trouble from the British government and Apple.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A free keyboard?
How do they make money?

Hrmn...

For a year now the 3rd party keyboards have had thousands of users with not one privacy complaint. These developers don't operate that way any more than the apps that "see" your photos or use your microphone. I have no problem trusting them whatsoever. I like what they offer. Apple wouldn't allow them if there were issues.

PremeOne

Jan 27, 2011
www.twitter.com
When I was on Android I swore by SwiftKey and thought I would be doing the same when I came back to iOS a few years ago and they began allowing 3rd party keyboards; I was wrong. I was never really able to jump on board with 3rd party keyboards, mainly because there was no easy access to the dictation button. Within the last couple of months, I decided to ditch the stock keyboard and give up easy dictation access because I really liked the editing capabilities of both Fleksy and Next. Then came the 6s Plus. When I upgraded on opening day and discovered the trackpad capabilities, I ditched all 3rd party keyboards since I no longer have any need for them. I have easy access to the dictation button and I can easily go to any spot that I want to within a dialogue box with the trackpad. It's going to take A LOT for a 3rd party keyboard to get me to move at this point (although, I still do like the appearance of Fleksy and Next more than I do that of stock).

jlgraham

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from Android, and figured I'd be using Swiftkey on my 6S Plus, but as others have mentioned, the new 3D touch trackpad is too good to pass up. I can type very quickly/accurately on the stock keyboard, so I'll probably just stick with that!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I was on Android I swore by SwiftKey and thought I would be doing the same when I came back to iOS a few years ago and they began allowing 3rd party keyboards; I was wrong. I was never really able to jump on board with 3rd party keyboards, mainly because there was no easy access to the dictation button. Within the last couple of months, I decided to ditch the stock keyboard and give up easy dictation access because I really liked the editing capabilities of both Fleksy and Next. Then came the 6s Plus. When I upgraded on opening day and discovered the trackpad capabilities, I ditched all 3rd party keyboards since I no longer have any need for them. I have easy access to the dictation button and I can easily go to any spot that I want to within a dialogue box with the trackpad. It's going to take A LOT for a 3rd party keyboard to get me to move at this point (although, I still do like the appearance of Fleksy and Next more than I do that of stock).

Just so you know, lack of the dictation mic on 3rd party keyboards is a restriction by Apple. I know SwiftKey woukd love to include it on their keyboard.

Trooper27

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the stock keyboard. Tried Swiftkey and Flesky but they are not as good on iOS as they are on Android. So stock keyboard for me. I like it but do not like it in landscape mode which blows because I use that often for text email etc.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I went back and tried swiftkey last week (again). I like the keyboard itself but was super annoyed that it didn't pop in every situation. If I choose a keyboard, I want it to pop everywhere a keyboard pops. I got the stock keyboard in various places (like messages or email) and swiftkey in other places. It annoyed me enough after awhile that I just deleted it. Stock works great anyway.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I went back and tried swiftkey last week (again). I like the keyboard itself but was super annoyed that it didn't pop in every situation. If I choose a keyboard, I want it to pop everywhere a keyboard pops. I got the stock keyboard in various places (like messages or email) and swiftkey in other places. It annoyed me enough after awhile that I just deleted it. Stock works great anyway.

I deleted the stock keyboard in Settings. That stops a lot of it going back to stock. Apple does that. It still goes to stock for passwords. But not messages and email. I use 2 keyboards. SwiftKey and KuaiBoard. I also deleted the stock emoji keyboard. KuaiBoard is extremely versatile and helpful.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I deleted the stock keyboard in Settings. That stops a lot of it going back to stock. Apple does that. It still goes to stock for passwords. But not messages and email. I use 2 keyboards. SwiftKey and KuaiBoard. I also deleted the stock emoji keyboard. KuaiBoard is extremely versatile and helpful.

I deleted the stock keyboard as well and still had it pop up in email and messages. Really weird. I rebooted and everything. Not sure what was up, but it was enough for me to just delete swiftkey.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I use the Saturday Night Live keyboard, almost exclusively. You can only get it by installing the Saturday Night Live app.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock one. I love love love swiftkey but Apple doesn't allow a Siri talk to text button so I stay on the regular stock keyboard

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Loving the SwiftKey Christmas keyboard.
bd3be13c4b5298e152ca29c5f5289e42.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner