Stock Keyboard or 3rd Party Keyboard

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Stock. I really wanted to like Fleksy but it wasn't what I expected. I am fast on the stock keyboard so stick with it. May try swiftkey again sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob_LMay

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Stock. I really wanted to like Fleksy but it wasn't what I expected. I am fast on the stock keyboard so stick with it. May try swiftkey again sometime.

It took me a while but I came to like Fleksy also.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Really?!
I am sure I read that somewhere..

Oh well, the stock keyboard suits me anyway XD

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

What you may have read was someone's opinion based on fear and ignorance. Developers like SwiftKey and Swype aren't out to swindle anyone. They have thousands of users, and I've not heard of one complaint concerning privacy issues.

UmairItrat

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Stock keyboard. I have tried the 3rd party keyboards and they just don't cut it. Swiftkey is my favorite keyboard on Android and if it worked as well as it does on Android I would use it, but it doesn't. Plus I actually like the stock iOS keyboard. I can actually type really well on it.

That's exactly my position. Although SwiftKey ought to be better for me since I am bi-lingual and it can use two languages at the same time, I gave up using it because iOS would routinely switch back to the default keyboard.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
What you may have read was someone's opinion based on fear and ignorance. Developers like SwiftKey and Swype aren't out to swindle anyone. They have thousands of users, and I've not heard of one complaint concerning privacy issues.

Yeah probably. But that info is stocked somewhere, right?
What happens in case of a breach/leak/hack?

ecb1171

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Stock primarily because 3rd party keyboards do not support voice dictation. That being said, if Swiftkey is better than stock in most other ways, I may have to give Swiftkey a try

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly my position. Although SwiftKey ought to be better for me since I am bi-lingual and it can use two languages at the same time, I gave up using it because iOS would routinely switch back to the default keyboard.

It won't switch back if you delete the stock keyboard along with the emoji keyboard, except for passwords.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Stock primarily because 3rd party keyboards do not support voice dictation. That being said, if Swiftkey is better than stock in most other ways, I may have to give Swiftkey a try

SwiftKey would love to add the dictation mic, but Apple won't allow it.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The keyboard accesses written media in order to write to it. In other words, it needs to access an email in order to respond to it. That's different to access to your account.

Let's look at it from the perspective of a photo app. It needs access to your photos in order to be able to edit them. Otherwise it couldn't perform itis functions. That's different than access to them in order to store them or to use them beyond the intended function.

I don't mind Photoshop Express accessing my photos. I don't, however, give those photos to a storage solution that I don't trust. And I don't give Photoshop Express the option of saving them for me. My photos are in my device, my laptop, and in iCloud.

Hope that explains it a bit.

It does! Thanks a bunch :D

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have tired almost all of the third party keyboards. Most of them are great, but they still have limited functionality. I use the quick reply on the lock screen a lot and third party keyboards are not accessible. Also, to date no keyboard gives access to the dictation mic and I use that all the time when I can't spell a word 😃

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock keyboard mostly because none of the 3rd party ones that I'd like to use support Korean. I find the switch back and forth in visuals and interface between Apple's keyboard and a 3rd party keyboard too jarring and usually gives me a headache :)

timswork

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I've used SwiftKey with no problem at all (afa security); and really love the swipes over pecking on the now-better iOS stock.

Only problem is that SW is now a bit too big on my new Plus for me to comfortably swipe like I used to on my small(er) 5s.

Would anyone have any suggestions for a keyboard that adapts itself better to the Plus-size and/or one-handed operation?

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
SwiftKey all the way! They are especially great if you communicate in 2 or more languages. The stock ios keyboard does this very poorly. SwiftKey is much quicker and puts in words way way faster.

And no, they do not steal your information, read about it. There is no way Apple would allow 3rd party keyboard apps to do this.

Try SwiftKey, and you definitely won't want to go back to stock keyboard, especially if you communicate in more than one language.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I want SwiftKey to work on IOS, but even one crash is too much for me. ( The keyboard not showing up in a hurry). Just read about neural update on Android SwiftKey and that would be cool on IOS.
Stock keyboard on other hand just works. And the predictions have saved me so many typos.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I just came from Android after using it for about 10 years. The 6s is my first iPhone. I'm using SwiftKey, and haven't had any issues with it so far :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner