Why isn't my iPhone 6s playing music in my car?

350gt

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
DUDE! YOU EFFIN ROCK!

I was seriously so mad that I had to use an AUX cable AND connect my phone via USB in my Civic in order to stream music via SoundCloud & Spotify (if I wanted to listen & charge simultaneously), especially because I have been through SO MANY AUX cables, cause they all seem to stop working in 6 months.

Today, my 5th AUX cable decided it would stop working properly and only play music out of the passenger-side speakers. I'm glad I decided to dig a little deeper online to find out if there was any sort of workaround/fix for the USB issue, and my search lead me here.

I signed up for Apple Music, downloaded one song, then let it play for a minute. I then opened Spotify, and much to my surprise, IT WORKED! For once my head unit display said something other than 'iPod NO SONG'.

TL; DR: THIS WORKS! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!

Oh, and in case this may help: this worked with my iPhone 6s in my 2010 Honda Civic.

"No song" - can't play Pandora or Amazon Music or other online service...

I had this exact problem with my Iphone 5s after I removed all of the U2 songs iTunes downloaded to my phone - they were the only songs I stored on the phone - and having no songs apparently is the problem.

The phone apparently needs at least 1 song stored on it, or it confuses the car system. I added 1 free song from iTunes and I can again play Pandora through the car system with all the normal functionality.

Too bad it took 2 weeks of searching, booting, rebooting and struggling to figure this out.

This worked on 2012 Honda Accord with my iPhone 5s connected via USB connection. IOS 9.3.2

FINALLY all is back to normal.

And I get it - it's not an iPhone 6, but after struggling for so long and finding no help anywhere, maybe this will work on iPhone 6 as well - the issue sounds similar.

Last edited:

racing girl nini

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6s not playing music in my car

I never had that problem before (using iPhone 6 and a Nissan Altima). However I just upgraded mi iPhone to IOS 10 and now I can't play my music through the iPod /USB connector. Seems to be missing "Dock connector" from the available options at iTunes when connecting to my car. . So for now I can only play using Bluetooth.

Anyone else facing the same issue? It seem Apple screwed it up again. Any suggestions /solutions?

Having exact same issue after latest iOS update, I have an iPhone 6 and can't get it to play my music, I have a Nissan Juke, however my husband has an iPhone 6plus and his plays fine in my car. Still haven't found a solution.

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
On behalf of automotive software developers everywhere, I'm sorry.

7-10 years ago, when a lot of this software used in cars was likely written, the industry had no idea that the same interface that let it talk to iPods (which are essentially paperweights unless they have songs on them) would be carried over to internet-connected supercomputers that can stream anything and don't need to have songs stored on them. Suddenly, that graceful handling of an edge case turns into a pain point for a good chunk of users.

Now, if only we could wave a magic wand and fix all of the ones that alphabetically select the first song on the device on every plug in... (sorry bout that one, too)

Ken in LA

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Dear BudPesch: You are my hero! I was very frustrated and about to replace the phone. Now everything works perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you!

Laineejon

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6s not playing music in my car

So this week I went out and excitedly purchased my iPhone 6s. I previously had the 5s.

Now I have Spotify premium and with my 5s I could hook my music into my 2011 Nissan Sentra using a usb hookup directly made for iPods. Spotify worked great and I loved being able to switch through songs on my steering wheel. (Trust me I wish I had Bluetooth though)

Fast forward to last night, went out to buy groceries and plugged my phone on to try Spotify out. The screen on my radio said no song was playing despite me clicking play on Spotify and trying it out.

I figured Apple might be trying to push Apple Music for the 6s so I downloaded that and ran into the same issue. I figured it's a long shot but would anyone know a fix for this (other than using a stereo aux cord). Also worth noting is that my friend has an iPhone 6 and it played just fine in my car with the hookup.

Why not try and get tune2air WMA1000 model plug to 30 pin to USB cable. I got this from [redacted] No need to manually plug your phone everytime. You can stream music via bluetooth and can play music apps like Spotify wirelessly just need to have at least one song in your iPod/iPhone music library. Very good sound quality and am happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anirudh Acharya

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
This is the best solution, I wasted a week talking to apple support and car dealer:
\
Thank you all.
-----------------------------------

"No song" - can't play Pandora or Amazon Music or other online service...

I had this exact problem with my Iphone 5s after I removed all of the U2 songs iTunes downloaded to my phone - they were the only songs I stored on the phone - and having no songs apparently is the problem.

The phone apparently needs at least 1 song stored on it, or it confuses the car system. I added 1 free song from iTunes and I can again play Pandora through the car system with all the normal functionality.

Too bad it took 2 weeks of searching, booting, rebooting and struggling to figure this out.

This worked on 2012 Honda Accord with my iPhone 5s connected via USB connection. IOS 9.3.2

FINALLY all is back to normal.

And I get it - it's not an iPhone 6, but after struggling for so long and finding no help anywhere, maybe this will work on iPhone 6 as well - the issue sounds similar.

dehnger

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I had to register just to tell you that was flipping hysterical. Only an Engineer or Developer thinks that way. Thanks for the laugh!!!

On behalf of automotive software developers everywhere, I'm sorry.

7-10 years ago, when a lot of this software used in cars was likely written, the industry had no idea that the same interface that let it talk to iPods (which are essentially paperweights unless they have songs on them) would be carried over to internet-connected supercomputers that can stream anything and don't need to have songs stored on them. Suddenly, that graceful handling of an edge case turns into a pain point for a good chunk of users.

Now, if only we could wave a magic wand and fix all of the ones that alphabetically select the first song on the device on every plug in... (sorry bout that one, too)

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I had to register just to tell you that was flipping hysterical. Only an Engineer or Developer thinks that way. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Glad you like it :D me too. I have to laugh at this kinda stuff at my day job, it staves off the insanity...for a little bit

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner