Power button ends calls on 6s

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I noticed yesterday that the power button on my 6s ends phone calls. On all my previous iPhones, I've used the power button to turn off the screen during long conference calls when I have it on speaker. Now it just hangs up my call.

Is this an iOS 9 things? Is there any way for me to turn it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it out and it did not end the call for me. I'm using a 6s on 9.0.2. I haven't seen any settings that can be changed regarding this either, maybe someone else knows.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's annoy bc it happened 3 times on a work conference call. I just wanted to turn off the screen while I drove to conserve battery. It's strange that it does different things for different folks. I've never heard of it muting the call. That's odd too.

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
That's so strange. There has to be a work around because I would imagine you're not the only one who wants the display off during a call.

I forget this from time to time when on calls too, and I've had the same thing happen.

How long are you on the calls before you click off the display? Also, are they directly to speaker, or are you turning it on after answering on the earpiece?

For me, once I have it on the call normal, I hide the keypad, turn on speakerphone, and then it seems to let me put the display to sleep.

Last edited:

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It's annoy bc it happened 3 times on a work conference call. I just wanted to turn off the screen while I drove to conserve battery. It's strange that it does different things for different folks. I've never heard of it muting the call. That's odd too.

Maybe a workaround you can try is turning the phone face down so the proximity sensor kicks in?

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's so strange. There has to be a work around because I would imagine you're not the only one who wants the display off during a call.

I forget this from time to time when on calls too, and I've had the same thing happen.

How long are you on the calls before you click off the display? Also, are they directly to speaker, or are you turning it on after answering on the earpiece?

For me, once I have it on the call normal, I hide the keypad, turn on speakerphone, and then it seems to let me put the display to sleep.

I usually turn the display off pretty quickly. I mostly do this when I'm on a conf call for work, which usually lasts an hour or more. I dial in and once connected, I turn off the screen. The last one I did on my 6s hung me up three times before I realized what had happened. Really frustrating. Seems that different folks are getting different behaviors on their devices, which is even more frustrating. Would be nice if they had a setting to allow us to control how we want it to behave.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So if you are on a call and you press power, it just turns the power off and the call continues?

Have you tried turning it off from Assistive Touch in Accessibility? Go to Settings >General />Accessibility >Assistive Touch >Toggle on > Tap button> Tap device> Tap lock screen

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning it off from Assistive Touch in Accessibility? Go to Settings >General />Accessibility >Assistive Touch >Toggle on > Tap button> Tap device> Tap lock screen

Too much trouble.

I'll tell you what did happen, though. Last night, I tested on both of my daughters' phones (5c and 5s) and they both worked the way I wanted ---- While on a speaker call, the power buttons turned the screen off. Then they called me and I did the same thing on my 6S and it worked! No clue why. Nothing has changed.

This morning, I had to hop on a conf call on my way to work and it worked fine as well. Pressing the power button did not hang up my call. I'm annoyed that it's flakey. I'm happy that it at least seems to be working as I remembered from my previous iPhones.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Could it be how long you press the button. I know that if I just "tap" the power button my screen goes off but if I hold it long enough, maybe 2 or 3 seconds i receive the shut down screen.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Could it be how long you press the button. I know that if I just "tap" the power button my screen goes off but if I hold it long enough, maybe 2 or 3 seconds i receive the shut down screen.

Yes. Long pressing always gives you the slide to power off option. I don't long press. I just press the power once and let go.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That's always happened. It doesn't happen with headphones in.

What doesn't happen with headphones in? I had a headset on this morning and the screen turned off (instead of hanging up) when I hit the power button.

This evening, I had it on speaker and it worked the same way.

A few days ago, the power button hung up the call.

Really strange.

poohs220

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the iPhone 6s Plus and my phone has hung up while on a call, using the speaker, and tapping the power button (not holding it down) as well. Also, when I have my phone on speaker and I want to turn the speaker off during the call, my device hangs up as well. I don't know how to fix it, or a work around for either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73