How do I block private callers on the 6s?

I

iMore Question

How do I block private callers on the 6s

I keep getting calls from private numbers on my 6s and I would like to know how I can block them.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I block private callers on the 6s

If it says "private" or "unknown" or some such, there's nothing you can do to Block the number, unless you have the number. Even your carrier can not block those.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I keep getting calls from private numbers on my 6s and I would like to know how I can block them.

Contact your wireless service provider.

If it says "private" or "unknown" or some such, there's nothing you can do to Block the number, unless you have the number. Even your carrier can not block those.
Like these 2 other gentlemen said to you, you are a bit stuck but your wireless is the best bet as they MIGHT be able to block it as they call premium calls or messages but thy can tell you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Like these 2 other gentlemen said to you, you are a bit stuck but your wireless is the best bet as they MIGHT be able to block it as they call premium calls or messages but thy can tell you.

If there is no number, the carrier can't see who it is. I had a long talk with Verizon about this last year.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Your carrier can usually block anything private/unknown. They can set up on your account to not allow a number through that is private, blocked, or otherwise. However, your doctor's office could call from a private/blocked number, and you might miss those calls, and any other calls you are needing/wanting by doing this.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Your carrier can usually block anything private/unknown. They can set up on your account to not allow a number through that is private, blocked, or otherwise. However, your doctor's office could call from a private/blocked number, and you might miss those calls, and any other calls you are needing/wanting by doing this.

I know for sure that AT&T used to do this for a fee...

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Link? If they do, it would be all inclusive. You can't pick n choose. If you get a call like that and call your carrier and ask that number be blocked, they couldn't do it. They'd need the number.

It was called smart limits, I subscribed to it for years up until a few years ago. I just looked at their site and they no loner support it. Your insistence that they would need the number is incorrect as they did it in the past. There some visual voicemail services that do it still.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Many carriers offer a service to block unknown/private numbers. Rogers here do.
To do this on a phone side on iPhone, you have to jailbreak and use a call blocker app.
For a non JB iPhone, you may want to check "YouMail" app. Thought they could do all sorts of things, including blocking private/unknown numbers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It was called smart limits, I subscribed to it for years up until a few years ago. I just looked at their site and they no loner support it. Your insistence that they would need the number is incorrect as they did it in the past. There some visual voicemail services that do it still.

Verizon tells me they can not block a caller without the number.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Verizon tells me they can not block a caller without the number.

I think the way they block those private/unknown numbers is precisely because they cannot iD those numbers. I believe they simply block anything that do not carry numbers in a blanket way.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the way they block those private/unknown numbers is precisely because they cannot iD those numbers. I believe they simply block anything that do not carry numbers in a blanket way.

How? If so, I wouldn't want to do that. Some calls like that are legit. It may be my Doctor calling from his private line.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
How? If so, I wouldn't want to do that. Some calls like that are legit. It may be my Doctor calling from his private line.

Exactly. See post #7.
The pont was that carriers (many of them) do offer an service to block/unknown numbers and the phone ID is not needed (or no phone ID, hence private/unknown). Maybe your carrier (Verizon) do not offer it, or the person you talked to was not knowledgeable. All call blocker apps probably distinguish private/unknown numbers from callers with numbers by the same algorithm.
However, I am sure carriers can identify those numberless calls if they wanted, or asked by Police etc. But for the call blocking purpose, above method works. But I am not an expert of how phone works :).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Oh BTW, my carrier, when blocking private/unknown numbers, broadcast a message that says that the customer blocked the number and the caller has to call back with identifiable number. And doctors etc already know that many people block private number, so they will call you back from other number.
However, if you use a call blocker app, depending on how you set it up, it picks and hangs up immediately without giving the caller an opportunity to leave a message.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh BTW, my carrier, when blocking private/unknown numbers, broadcast a message that says that the customer blocked the number and the caller has to call back with identifiable number. And doctors etc already know that many people block private number, so they will call you back from other number.
However, if you use a call blocker app, depending on how you set it up, it picks and hangs up immediately without giving the caller an opportunity to leave a message.

I used to could do that on landlines. But can't on smartphone. Not sure. They may charge for it now. I'll have to call and ask.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think it's stupid that it's possible to have private, or unknown numbers to begin with. What good reason is there in this day and age for that type anonymity?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal