Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant?

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've always put a case on my iPhones since day 1 but usually no screen protector. Ever since my 6 Plus and now 6s Plus, I have definitely joined the tempered glass screen protector crowd.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant

Glad to hear that you're doing better! I broke my ankle in December (I discovered that I actually cannot fly down a flight of stairs), and have to go to PT twice a week beginning Monday. I really, really, really don't wanna go. :(

Yikes. I found that I indeed CAN fly down a flight of stairs. However, it's the LANDING that hurts!

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I have no scratches on my 6s Plus screen after about 3 weeks and I have a Black Apple Leather case on it from day one. According to Apple the 6s/6s Plus screen is the hardest glass screen ever put on an Apple iPhone and is scratch resistant. I really hope it holds up because I like the way my iPhone looks and feels without a screen protector. This is actually my first time not using a screen protector.

I think the real reason folks put a tempered glass protector on, at least for me, is when it shatters from impact it shatters the protector not the screen. Kind of like when a ballistics kevlar vest takes a hit, and the plate is shattered and unusable but the body is still whole. Takes the hit for the screen.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I think the real reason folks put a tempered glass protector on, at least for me, is when it shatters from impact it shatters the protector not the screen. Kind of like when a ballistics kevlar vest takes a hit, and the plate is shattered and unusable but the body is still whole. Takes the hit for the screen.

I'm not sure why other folks use screen protectors, but I had enough of them and seen enough screenshots over the years to say not everyone buys/uses them for the same reason. Sure some get them hoping that the screen protector will shatter and not their screen, and others get them to stop those annoying microscopic as well as heavy duty scratches.
I've seen the most expensive protection not protect and the cheap ones protect.

I personally used them for everything, but most of all....a piece of mind.

On another note, I would never compare my Body Armor that saved my life to something that saves a phone....HUGE difference. You can buy another phone

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure why other folks use screen protectors, but I had enough of them and seen enough screenshots over the years to say not everyone buys/uses them for the same reason. Sure some get them hoping that the screen protector will shatter and not their screen, and others get them to stop those annoying microscopic as well as heavy duty scratches.

On another note, I would never compare my Body Armor that saved my life to something that saves a phone....HUGE difference. You can buy another phone

Scratch protection mostly. My iPhone 4 I eventually went without (cases kept peeling them up). iPhone 5 I got had a scratch within a few weeks so I put one on. If you get the right kind, you don't even notice they're there. I posted a link in the post above for the ones I use :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Scratch protection mostly. My iPhone 4 I eventually went without (cases kept peeling them up). iPhone 5 I got had a scratch within a few weeks so I put one on. If you get the right kind, you don't even notice they're there. I posted a link in the post above for the ones I use :)

When I used a screen protector, I used Zagg. One of their spokesman is actually a member here on iMore. His name is Spencer ( not me). He's pretty KOOL. I haven't seen him in awhile though.

timja

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I too have seen other screens break whilst leaving the screen protector intact. Having said that, I too would always look into getting one for peace of mind as it can only help in the majority of mishaps.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Thank you for the link. :)

I ended up getting the Zagg InvisibleShield HD Clear, which looks like it fits exactly like the one you linked. It's literally visible screen edge to visible screen edge. I loathed the way it looked at first, and it bugged me almost to the point where I wanted to take it back.... but I was lazy and didn't feel like driving back over to Best Buy lol. I'm use to it now though (the screen protector, not the lazy bit hehe).

Feels good to be back on the forums... the flu sucks!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I ended up getting the Zagg InvisibleShield HD Clear, which looks like it fits exactly like the one you linked. It's literally visible screen edge to visible screen edge. I loathed the way it looked at first, and it bugged me almost to the point where I wanted to take it back.... but I was lazy and didn't feel like driving back over to Best Buy lol. I'm use to it now though (the screen protector, not the lazy bit hehe).

Welcome back. Glad you feel better, now get to posting

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

That's not the tempered glass right? The protectors would have issues going to the edge due to the curvature. I found the tempered glass stick out more because they're thicker. The ones like I have (and probably what you have) are visible at first but so thin they eventually just disappear from normal use.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
That's not the tempered glass right? The protectors would have issues going to the edge due to the curvature. I found the tempered glass stick out more because they're thicker. The ones like I have (and probably what you have) are visible at first but so thin they eventually just disappear from normal use.

It does have somewhat of an issue with the edges (there's a spot on the top edge that just won't stay flat), but I'm use to it now and don't really pay much attention to it. The first week it drove me insane though.

I "think" this is the shatter proof one. I dunno if I'm allowed to link it, but the exact name is InvisibleShield HDX. Description says "Military Grade™ 3X Shatter Protection: Powerful components, designed to protect military helicopter blades, deliver unmatched impact and break protection."

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Of course you can compare it. Thank you for your service, btw. It's greatly appreciated. However, my comment had nothing to do with your specific or general elections incident. From a purely scientific perspective that's precisely what happens in both circumstances. The amount of force and how it is distributed being the distinguishing factors. In both cases, the protective material (ceramic plate and tempered glass) absorb and disrupt the kinetic impact and protect the person or item inside or covered. Precisely the same mechanics.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

Don't know why it said election. Meant your general experience.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Of course you can compare it. Thank you for your service, btw. It's greatly appreciated. However, my comment had nothing to do with your specific or general elections incident. From a purely scientific perspective that's precisely what happens in both circumstances. The amount of force and how it is distributed being the distinguishing factors. In both cases, the protective material (ceramic plate and tempered glass) absorb and disrupt the kinetic impact and protect the person or item inside or covered. Precisely the same mechanics.

Oh okay. Makes sense

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So I couldn't sleep and decided to get up, went to the restroom and put my phone on the counter. Apparently I didn't set it far enough from the ledge because it toppled off the counter and on to the bathroom rug (not carpet, so no padding). Roughly 29 inches it fell. There was only a night-light on, so I didn't quite see how it landed. No damage to the phone, but the screen protector cracked. You can't really see it in the shot, but there's a hairline crack going down towards the Home button. When I carefully pulled it off the phone it cracked in half (but did not separate) and puffed a fine dust of glass everywhere.

I just put in a for a replacement, so hopefully Zagg won't flip me any crap (I registered the product at the beginning of Feb). We'll see.

DSC_0050.png

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
So I couldn't sleep and decided to get up, went to the restroom and put my phone on the counter. Apparently I didn't set it far enough from the ledge because it toppled off the counter and on to the bathroom rug (not carpet, so no padding). Roughly 29 inches it fell. There was only a night-light on, so I didn't quite see how it landed. No damage to the phone, but the screen protector cracked. You can't really see it in the shot, but there's a hairline crack going down towards the Home button. When I carefully pulled it off the phone it cracked in half (but did not separate) and puffed a fine dust of glass everywhere.

I just put in a for a replacement, so hopefully Zagg won't flip me any crap (I registered the product at the beginning of Feb). We'll see.

View attachment 103315

Glad to see your screen protector did its job. Zagg should not be an issue. They are pretty good for replacements.