Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes. :) That's why I said the glass will scratch... just not easily. It was not my intention to insinuate that others not use a screen protector. In my original post I said I was getting one for mine.

Wasn't saying you were insinuating anything. I was responding to Apples description of the glass and offering my take on what they were implying.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
for me, I've always had a screen protector on my phones from day 1. Initially back in the day I used the plastic ones, but when I first installed a glass protector on my 4s, which to this day is still on it, I wont go a day w/o one. When I got my new 6s a few weeks ago, I was online buying a glass screen protector that night. If you go with a glass one, make sure it is oleophobic treated (Oleophobic coating helps resist oils and fingerprints). With the thinness of today's tempered glass protectors, and the cost, it just doesn't make sense NOT to put a glass protector on, at least in my opinion. FWIW, I use the Spigen Glas tR protector.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is the iPhone 6s scratch resistant

I've been carrying my 6s Plus in my pockets with no protective screen. They don't help much at all for drops. My Otterbox Commuter helps that. I don't see scratches being an issue. I carried my iPhone 4 without screen protector for 2 years with keys, change and what not in my pockets. It did fine. And the new screens are even better. I'm not wasting $30 or $40 on a screen protector. My screen is still pristine after 4 months juggling in my pocket with other stuff.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I've been carrying my 6s Plus in my pockets with no protective screen. They don't help much at all for drops.

First of all, they do, at least a little, provide some shatter resistance. Second, if your screen does shatter from a drop or impact, the screen protector will keep the pieces together, and prevent you from scratching your fingers when you slide them on broken glass, at least until you can get the screen or phone replaced.

I've always used one and I've come to the point where I prefer the feel of the screen protector over glass, and it never gets smeared with finger oils, etc. To each their own, but I know I prefer them. (I'm using a Zagg HDX on my 6s.)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

First of all, they do, at least a little, provide some shatter resistance. Second, if your screen does shatter from a drop or impact, the screen protector will keep the pieces together, and prevent you from scratching your fingers when you slide them on broken glass, at least until you can get the screen or phone replaced.

Those are actually some very good points!

I've always used one and I've come to the point where I prefer the feel of the screen protector over glass, and it never gets smeared with finger oils, etc. To each their own, but I know I prefer them. (I'm using a Zagg HDX on my 6s.)

I'm currently shopping for a new one, and the Zagg looks to have a nice warranty. Does it go all the way to the edges of the screen?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

From all I've read, there's no conclusive evidence a screen protector protects the screen from a drop. Dropping is weird anyway. I've seen completely naked phones get dropped on concrete with no damage to the screen. Then those with a case and protective screen that shatter. And vice versa. Go figure.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm currently shopping for a new one, and the Zagg looks to have a nice warranty. Does it go all the way to the edges of the screen?

No, it's what they call "case friendly", so it sits just away from the edge of the glass. That way if you have a case, the case won't lift the screen protector.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Those are actually some very good points!

Nope. They go all the way to the flat surface of the screen, but don't curve with the device. My wife uses the spigen glas.tr slims, and its the same thing. It leaves about .3 mm or so between the edge of the screen protector and the case she uses (one of the Apple silicone cases). They might cover more of the screen if using a more tank-like case like the Candyshells or Otterbox commuters.

There are a few that will truly be edge to edge, like the cinder from cupert, but otherwise screen protectors don't cover the entire display.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

From all I've read, there's no conclusive evidence a screen protector protects the screen from a drop. Dropping is weird anyway. I've seen completely naked phones get dropped on concrete with no damage to the screen. Then those with a case and protective screen that shatter. And vice versa. Go figure.
Nothing will stop a screen from getting smashed.... I dropped my iphone 5 on the ground lightly by mistake and even with my otterbox defender I broke the screen. Then two years later I get in a serious car accident and my iphone had no case went through the front windshield and slid across the highway into the ditch and got a few nicks on the bezel and light scrapes on the back.. it's all how it hits and where it hits no case or screen protector will stop it if it lands right. It helps but doesn't stop it

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Nothing will stop a screen from getting smashed.... I dropped my iphone 5 on the ground lightly by mistake and even with my otterbox defender I broke the screen. Then two years later I get in a serious car accident and my iphone had no case went through the front windshield and slid across the highway into the ditch and got a few nicks on the bezel and light scrapes on the back.. it's all how it hits and where it hits no case or screen protector will stop it if it lands right. It helps but doesn't stop it

I agree. Personally I don't use a screen protector to prevent shattered screens. I use them only to avoid scratches. I typically sell my devices to pay for the next model and so I do anything I can to maintain the device value. And I've seen a couple scratched screens. Not very many but I don't want to take the chance.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I agree. Personally I don't use a screen protector to prevent shattered screens. I use them only to avoid scratches. I typically sell my devices to pay for the next model and so I do anything I can to maintain the device value. And I've seen a couple scratched screens. Not very many but I don't want to take the chance.

Remember that a scratched screen is more prone to fracture than a non-scratched one. Introducing a scratch introduces a point of weakness. So, avoiding scratches may help prevent a shatter.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Exactly! Glad you're doing better!

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Exactly! Glad you're doing better!
Been a loooong road.... that's why I've been absent the last 6 months. Was in the hospital for 4 months and rehab for 2. Glad to say I'm walking and functioning 98% after the doctors said I would never walk again 😊

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Been a loooong road.... that's why I've been absent the last 6 months. Was in the hospital for 4 months and rehab for 2. Glad to say I'm walking and functioning 98% after the doctors said I would never walk again 

Glad to hear that you're doing better! I broke my ankle in December (I discovered that I actually cannot fly down a flight of stairs), and have to go to PT twice a week beginning Monday. I really, really, really don't wanna go. :(

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Glad to hear that you're doing better! I broke my ankle in December (I discovered that I actually cannot fly down a flight of stairs), and have to go to PT twice a week beginning Monday. I really, really, really don't wanna go. :(
It's not so bad.... my rehab was painful the first few weeks but amazing how quickly things recover and get stronger due to it

Jasonwd

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 6S 3 weeks today, and no scratches. But then again, I treat all my phones like Faberge' Eggs. I never ever put them in my pockets, and when they go in my purse they have a dedicated section all by themselves. No screen protector as of right now, but I do plan to get one as soon as I find one I like.

I have to agree. It's odd to me that people pay $1000 for a tiny computer that you can put in your pocket and treat it like a bunch of keys.

Mine is a caseless 5 which stays glass to body in my trouser pocket and is spotless after, what, 3 years?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2