Thinking about switching from galaxy s5.

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
And......My guess is you were still using Android and your phone broke mid-sentence.

...and what happened?

Lol idk what happened with the rest of my sentence, but I was in target today and they had the 6s out and I was playing with it and I kinda fell in love. I'm really thinking about switching, I know a big thing that is holding me back is the fact that my bill will go up, but other then that idk what else is holding me back.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Lol idk what happened with the rest of my sentence, but I was in target today and they had the 6s out and I was playing with it and I kinda fell in love. I'm really thinking about switching, I know a big thing that is holding me back is the fact that my bill will go up, but other then that idk what else is holding me back.

Well do what makes you happy, but remember the new iPhones are AWESOME.....SMILE

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm a brand new iPhone convert as well. Here are my thoughts:

I've used about a dozen different Android devices in the past 5 years. It seemed like I was always chasing the PERFECT device and every device I tried came up short. For example I loved how the M8 was snappy and fluid (I've always been a Sense fan) and it had AMAZING speakers...but the camera was awful. My Note 4 was probably the most aesthetically pleasing Android device I ever had, and I loved the size, s pen, and the plethora of awesome features...but I hated the TouchWiz lag and the GPS was pretty much unusable. My LG G4 was pretty snappy and the GPS was on point and I loved the leather back...but the IU was a bit boring and the battery life was pretty dang bad. You get the idea :).

I've used the iPhone 6s Plus now for 5 days and I have nothing to complain about. It's a beautiful device (and highly customizeable with the vast array of accessories), battery is nothing short of incredible, GPS is on point, it's as fast or faster than any Android device I've used, the app quality is a lot better, the keyboard was a cinch to get used to (coming from about 4 years on SwiftKey), the OS is intuitive and fun to use, etc. Sure, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that are baked into certain Android devices, but I found that a lot of those bells and whistles were just fun to show off to my friends and aren't really deal breakers if I don't have them anymore. Other things that I'm used to, like a file manager, I could easily find an app for.

I know I've only had this phone for 5 days, but I can easily see myself being happy with this phone for a year since I don't have to make any compromises.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So for as long as I remember I've had android phones. I've always liked them and would never even bat my eyes at the iPhone, but I've been thinking over the past couple days and I really think I'm ready to make the switch.

Of course in the end I'm gonna make my own decision but I need you guys to kinda sell me. I think my biggests thoughts are I really don't like the iPhones keyboard, but I downloaded swift on my ipad last night and it worked great so that problem is solved. My other thing is I'm so upset to being able to customize the android that I feel I'm not going to be able to get used to that.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

I won't try to sell you. I can't....I don't know you.:tongue:

If you're thinking about it over the last couple of days, take a deep breath and back away from the media and even us. Because you may be reacting to the excitement from those of us who love our iPhones. You may also be reacting to the media coverage and from friends' comments, if you know anyone who has bought a new iPhone.

You won't be able to customise an iPhone like you do an Android device. So if customisation is something that you really enjoy, you will be disappointed. Unless you jailbreak.

As far as the keyboards, I prefer my iOS keyboard over my Note 4. The only thing that beats the experience of my iOS keyboard is the BlackBerry physical keyboard....but unfortunately it's not on an iPhone. You will be able to find several keyboards in the Apple App Store.

Step back and take a deep breath. Then go give an iPhone a go at your local store. If you feel courageous get one and explore for two weeks. If you don't care for it, return it.

This I will tell you....I won't do without my iPhone. It's the one platform that is non negotiable for me. I won't do without it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I've used about a dozen different Android devices in the past 5 years. It seemed like I was always chasing the PERFECT device and every device I tried came up short. For example I loved how the M8 was snappy and fluid (I've always been a Sense fan) and it had AMAZING speakers...but the camera was awful. My Note 4 was probably the most aesthetically pleasing Android device I ever had, and I loved the size, s pen, and the plethora of awesome features...but I hated the TouchWiz lag and the GPS was pretty much unusable. My LG G4 was pretty snappy and the GPS was on point and I loved the leather back...but the IU was a bit boring and the battery life was pretty dang bad. You get the idea :).

I've used the iPhone 6s Plus now for 5 days and I have nothing to complain about. It's a beautiful device (and highly customizeable with the vast array of accessories), battery is nothing short of incredible, GPS is on point, it's as fast or faster than any Android device I've used, the app quality is a lot better, the keyboard was a cinch to get used to (coming from about 4 years on SwiftKey), the OS is intuitive and fun to use, etc. Sure, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that are baked into certain Android devices, but I found that a lot of those bells and whistles were just fun to show off to my friends and aren't really deal breakers if I don't have them anymore. Other things that I'm used to, like a file manager, I could easily find an app for.

I know I've only had this phone for 5 days, but I can easily see myself being happy with this phone for a year since I don't have to make any compromises.

WOW....Great summary. Nicely written...THANK YOU

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I won't try to sell you. I can't....I don't know you.:tongue:

If you're thinking about it over the last couple of days, take a deep breath and back away from the media and even us. Because you may be reacting to the excitement from those of us who love our iPhones. You may also be reacting to the media coverage and from friends' comments, if you know anyone who has bought a new iPhone.

You won't be able to customise an iPhone like you do an Android device. So if customisation is something that you really enjoy, you will be disappointed. Unless you jailbreak.

As far as the keyboards, I prefer my iOS keyboard over my Note 4. The only thing that beats the experience of my iOS keyboard is the BlackBerry physical keyboard....but unfortunately it's not on an iPhone. You will be able to find several keyboards in the Apple App Store.

Step back and take a deep breath. Then go give an iPhone a go at your local store. If you feel courageous get one and explore for two weeks. If you don't care for it, return it.

This I will tell you....I won't do without my iPhone. It's the one platform that is non negotiable for me. I won't do without it.

Before getting my s5 I was thinking about the iPhone then to but then decided that no I'm gonna stay with android and I kinda forgot about it. I think about switching every now and then and now I've been thinking of it for the last couple of days.

I played with one in target last night and I really do like it. I'm playing with my ipad more often so that I can get used to it more somewhat. The back button is gonna be a little bit of a learning curve. I love that the iPhone has the podcast app right on it since I listen to those.

I really just want to go and get it, I always have the 14 days to test it out and see how I like it, which I think I'll be able to decide if I like it or not in 13 days.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you're aware but iOS9 has a tiny directional arrow to link you back to where you were. So there is something somewhat similar to a back button.

jlzimmerman

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Before getting my s5 I was thinking about the iPhone then to but then decided that no I'm gonna stay with android and I kinda forgot about it. I think about switching every now and then and now I've been thinking of it for the last couple of days.

I played with one in target last night and I really do like it. I'm playing with my ipad more often so that I can get used to it more somewhat. The back button is gonna be a little bit of a learning curve. I love that the iPhone has the podcast app right on it since I listen to those.

I really just want to go and get it, I always have the 14 days to test it out and see how I like it, which I think I'll be able to decide if I like it or not in 13 days.

I would suggest buying a used iPhone 5 or something similar just to play on it for a while. This way you won't break the bank and will be able to sell it for the same price you purchased it in case you don't want to keep it. I think you would be pleased with your migration to iOS. I use WP, iOS and Android and iOS is better than Android simply because you can guarantee that iOS will not start to freeze, glitch, force close apps, and fragment after the first 10 months of using it.

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest buying a used iPhone 5 or something similar just to play on it for a while. This way you won't break the bank and will be able to sell it for the same price you purchased it in case you don't want to keep it. I think you would be pleased with your migration to iOS. I use WP, iOS and Android and iOS is better than Android simply because you can guarantee that iOS will not start to freeze, glitch, force close apps, and fragment after the first 10 months of using it.

Well if I'm going to get the 6s it would be no money down and I would just be paying 19 monthly for it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious as well to see if you end up with one. I'm also currently an Android user (2014 Moto X) seriously looking at switching. Mostly for the increased app polish, faster updates, etc. I have played around with my wife's iPhone and iPad and especially with iOS9 realized most of the features I have loved in Android since the OG Droid days are now in iOS. Combined with the bigger screens of the 6 and 6s now, it's almost like what reason is there not to switch anymore unless you're using a Nexus phone and doing all the rooting and swapping ROMs around just to tinker.

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
My phone is also very limited on space. It is a 16gb and it only has 2gb available. If I want to download a new app I have to delete one

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Always hit the reply button to soon lol. But I have to delete something if I want to download another. I really want something bigger. So I was gonna get the 64gb one.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

That seems to the consensus for a lot of Android users who switch. Same thing happened to me when I was on Android, not so much trying to find the perfect device, but just always wanting to have the latest and greatest.

I'll admit the new Nexus phones that Google just announced especially the 6P had me salivating LOL but then I remembered how much I love my iPhone and remember regretting ever switching in the first place when I finally came back from using Android. There's just really no compromise when using iOS and I know the Android faithful will use the customization factor as the nail in the coffin but seriously I got so bored of that at the end of owning my Galaxy Nexus and now if I do feel the need to theme and stuff I can just jailbreak.

The Lannisters send their regards

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
That seems to the consensus for a lot of Android users who switch. Same thing happened to me when I was on Android, not so much trying to find the perfect device, but just always wanting to have the latest and greatest.

I'll admit the new Nexus phones that Google just announced especially the 6P had me salivating LOL but then I remembered how much I love my iPhone and remember regretting ever switching in the first place when I finally came back from using Android. There's just really no compromise when using iOS and I know the Android faithful will use the customization factor as the nail in the coffin but seriously I got so bored of that at the end of owning my Galaxy Nexus and now if I do feel the need to theme and stuff I can just jailbreak.

The Lannisters send their regards

It just came to a point where I was like "Maybe this one will have everything I need...no? OK, maybe THIS one will have everything I need...ugh no again? OK, let's try THIS one...etc etc etc." I was switching way too much, buying cases and screen protectors for my new phones every few months, etc. It was a money pit! I've spent a bit up front on getting some extra chargers and cables for my iPhone and of course a case and screen protector...but now I can sit back and do something fun in 6 months or so at the time that I would be shelling out $200-300 to pay off my JUMP balance for a new phone and accessories :).

Gadgetry

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching back after having my iPhone 6S for 1 day...

There's just really no compromise when using iOS...

I wish that were the case for me. I have had my 6S for 1 day and I'm considering paying a restock fee etc to go to the S6 (maybe Edge b/c of wireless charging). One feature that I really enjoy with a phone is full integration with my truck's infotainment system and Nissan created an app specifically for that purpose. Nissan does make the app for iOS but the functionality isn't there. My biggest gripe is with Pandora. Yes, I could just stream Pandora but I'd rather use the app built into the radio b/c it allows me like/dislike, scroll through my station list, create stations from songs...etc. To do this with an iPhone it must be plugged into the USB port. This makes absolutely no sense to me and is what I'd consider a compromise. I'm not what I'd call a super user of smartphones but what I do use, I want to work well and why use something plugged in when it should be wireless?

The driver for me switching to back iOS (I've had 2 iPhones previously) was the battery life of my Android which is still likely much worse that the 6S. I'm always concerned about running out of battery life but there are some fairly small/efficient devices to charge on the go.

We'll see...:concern:

Meka Mac

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I wish that were the case for me. I have had my 6S for 1 day and I'm considering paying a restock fee etc to go to the S6 (maybe Edge b/c of wireless charging). One feature that I really enjoy with a phone is full integration with my truck's infotainment system and Nissan created an app specifically for that purpose. Nissan does make the app for iOS but the functionality isn't there. My biggest gripe is with Pandora. Yes, I could just stream Pandora but I'd rather use the app built into the radio b/c it allows me like/dislike, scroll through my station list, create stations from songs...etc. To do this with an iPhone it must be plugged into the USB port. This makes absolutely no sense to me and is what I'd consider a compromise. I'm not what I'd call a super user of smartphones but what I do use, I want to work well and why use something plugged in when it should be wireless?

The driver for me switching to back iOS (I've had 2 iPhones previously) was the battery life of my Android which is still likely much worse that the 6S. I'm always concerned about running out of battery life but there are some fairly small/efficient devices to charge on the go.

We'll see...:concern:

That is definitely a reason to switch back if it is important to you and easier for you to use everyday.

Now after I say that is that the only thing that makes you want to take it back after leaving android?

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is that I switched from my iphone 6 and went to android and man was it a mistake, I have kicked myself so many times its not funny. The galax6 s6 edge which is a pretty high level phone and still I'm not happy. I can only say if I ever manage to get back to a iphone I hope somebody slacked me around if I even think of leaving. By the way my wife is extremely happy with what used to be my iphone 6

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm thinking about switching back after having my iPhone 6S for 1 day...

My biggest gripe is with Pandora. Yes, I could just stream Pandora but I'd rather use the app built into the radio b/c it allows me like/dislike, scroll through my station list, create stations from songs...etc. To do this with an iPhone it must be plugged into the USB port. This makes absolutely no sense to me and is what I'd consider a compromise.

Wow, that was one of the main reasons why I switched to the iPhone - my car stereo would only play media from my Android phone over BT, and most of the time it was a coin flip if the playing would start. For the iPhone I can connect by cable, though, unlike you, I can still use BT for media playback if I really want to. But, I *want* to plug in - the sound quality is better, I charge while I play, and I still get BT for calls. Oh, and I don't have to worry about the unit picking my wife's phone over mine if it connects first when we're in the car together.

The one thing I was worried about was battery life, but so far the 6s is actually better my Droid Maxx was with half the battery.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods