Love the 6s,,,,HATE THE BATTERY LIFE !!!!!!,,,,, any fixes ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The 6s+ gets much better battery life than the 6s and that's why I went big this year. I had the 6 last year and I couldn't come close to making it through a day. That being said, having 50% battery at the end of the day as you state is EXCELLENT battery life IMO...

He said it was a very light day. That's a pretty important context clue, and it was mentioned specifically because he knows what would happen if he had used the phone heavily (or was forced to use it heavily for some reason).

I actually think something to do with the iOS 9 update is the culprit, though. My iPhone 6+ was below 50% Monday and usually when I have the same amount of travel and usage I am around 70% when I get back home. This facade of 1 hour more of use is just not shining through. I'll have to go through my settings to see what they've added and what I need to disable.

It's a bit shady to advertise 1 hour more of battery life, if you have added and default enabled features that cut your battery life down by 2-3 hours, IMO.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I love reading these threads.
The way I see it..Battery on your iPhone is like cash in your pocket. The more you spend it the less you will have.

There are so many variables and settings that can affect the battery. Having the phone 1-2 days and complaining is a bit too soon. If you restore from an iCloud backup then all the settings should be the same and you should give it 3-4 days for everything to settle and index on your phone. If you set it up as a new iPhone then you need to go through all the settings and make sure you turn off the ones that you don't need.

You have to customize your phone with what you need and don't need. The same way you spend your money on things you need and not on what you don't....well not always lol.

Point is don't worry about the battery. Instead take the time to tweak the phone and then give it a few days to see how it averages out.

I went with the 6s Plus...not because the battery on the 6s is not good but because I prefer having more juice and a bigger screen. That being said if the 6s was the only option out there, then I would make it work, same way I did with all the previous iPhones I've had.

Enjoy your new ssssss'ss :)

Not me. When I got the iPhone 5S I took it back 4 days later for a Note 3 because the battery life was absolutely horrid by comparison. It was worse than my Galaxy S3. Those batteries are just too small. iOS has amazing standby times, similar to those Classic BBOS devices, but under load the battery was just not good. Android has worse standby times, but I found the phones to perform well for moderate-heavy use since your phone wasn't depending on the standby times to get through the day - also the batteries were much bigger than Apple devices... If the iPhone 6 was the only choice, I'd have gotten a Note 4 instead of the 6 Plus - without hesitation.

I wouldn't have touched it, because I would have known what I was getting myself into.

A lot of what you said is kind of obvious. Battery life works like that on all devices. The difference is that other devices give you a lot more money (i.e. Battery Capacity) to spend than an iPhone does, and unless they are over speccing something like the screen it's going to outperform that battery.

Also, I don't recommend people use a manual brightness setting on iPhones because Apple has pretty good auto-brightness adjustment for their screens and you end up wasting battery by having a higher brightness than needed. ... unless of course you have trouble seeing the screen, but I guess that's a trade-off you have to deal with.

On every smartphone I've owned in the past 4 years or so, I've noticed even keeping the brightness as low as 30% all the time resulting in unnecessary [significant] battery drainage through the display backlight because even that was way higher than necessary at times.

Turning off WiFi won't save you much, BTW.

EDIT: Has the default font for the forums changed or something? This looks like a Serif font, and it's much harder on the eyes/harder to read than what was there before. I don't remember changing such a setting in my Forum settings...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol, again, what is the inaccurate statement??

"Am I the only person left who is near a charger at any point of the day or night?" That.....is a question.
"
Why do people act like it matters more how much is left at the end of the day vs the fact that they were able to do what they wanted without the phone going dead?" That....is.....another question.

I am trying fella, trying really hard to follow your act here but I am just not seeing it. Once again, if you are not near a charger at all, day or night, as questioned in my original paragraph, then I just am not sure what to tell you. They haven't made a (never needs to be charged) battery yet.

You asked a rhetorical question assuming you were in the majority, when you clearly or not. The other poster (accurately) took exception to your post, because that's exactly how it reads, and that type of language is used all the time both in writing and in speech to get that type of point across... Especially when taken in the context of what follows that statement.

Get out of the house. Walk around the city. You see people using their phones all the time, and you don't see them carrying charger plugs and Lightning to USB cables or Power Bricks in their pockets, either.

The thing you don't understand is that people want better battery life exactly so that they can AVOID the situation you are talking about. They don't want to CARE that an outlet is there. They don't want to need the outlet. They want the phone to go all day and into the night, so that they don't have to put a quota on how they use their phone. Other OEMs have somewhat addressed that either with SKUs designed for that corner of the market, or by simply putting bigger batters in their (even smaller) smartphone models.

You don't need an outlet to get through the day on Sony's phones, and you certainly don't have to quota your usage on it (and that's with it running... Android...). There's a difference.

I think at some people people spend so much time online that they actually start to believe that what enterprising techies do is somehow indicative of the general population, when it clearly is not.

These phones cost enough already. $750 for a phone and then $100 for a battery case just to get decent battery life? Am I the only one here who thinks that's ridiculous?

P.S. See what I did there?

EDIT: The screenshots in this thread are useless. iPhones count the usage since the last full charge. That means if you bump charge your phone during the day, it does not reset that counter. The counter only resets when your phone is charged to 100% (i.e. you get the full charge notification from the phone while it's plugged into the charger). There's no way to know if the phone wasn't bump charged during the day other than the person posting the shots saying they didn't do it, which, frankly... isn't enough (more people would lie to make the phone look good than give Apple the feedback it needs to start putting bigger capacity batteries in the phone - Android and Windows communities are no different, BTW). On Android there is a graph where you can see clearly where the phone was bump charged. No such thing exists in the iPhone's battery stats.

You are not going to get 9 hours of screen on time on any iPhone, and certainly not an iPhone 6 or 6S (non-Plus). The Note 3 and 6 Plus didn't get that high (they both had comparable battery life for me) and I doubt the 6S Plus is going to clock that kind of screen on time either, unless the phone is just sitting on WiFi playing a video on low brightness. Actually using a phone is a lot different than a simple (and pretty generous, in most cases) battery rundown test.

EDIT: UGH. This font the forum is using by default for posts... It's so bad.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

EDIT: The screenshots in this thread are useless. iPhones count the usage since the last full charge. That means if you bump charge your phone during the day, it does not reset that counter. The counter only resets when your phone is charged to 100% (i.e. you get the full charge notification from the phone while it's plugged into the charger). There's no way to know if the phone wasn't bump charged during the day other than the person posting the shots saying they didn't do it, which, frankly... isn't enough (more people would lie to make the phone look good than give Apple the feedback it needs to start putting bigger capacity batteries in the phone - Android and Windows communities are no different, BTW). On Android there is a graph where you can see clearly where the phone was bump charged. No such thing exists in the iPhone's battery stats.

You are not going to get 9 hours of screen on time on any iPhone, and certainly not an iPhone 6 or 6S (non-Plus). The Note 3 and 6 Plus didn't get that high (they both had comparable battery life for me) and I doubt the 6S Plus is going to clock that kind of screen on time either, unless the phone is just sitting on WiFi playing a video on low brightness. Actually using a phone is a lot different than a simple (and pretty generous, in most cases) battery rundown test.

EDIT: UGH. This font the forum is using by default for posts... It's so bad.

Wrong. The screen shot I posted us of actual time of use without plugging in during the day *BECAUSE* I am testing how the battery performs under normal use which can be seen depicted as hours under each app used.

And I have no reason to lie to make Apple look good. You must have me confused with someone else you might know.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The screenshots in this thread are useless. iPhones count the usage since the last full charge. That means if you bump charge your phone during the day, it does not reset that counter.

If you do this, the battery usage page will indicate that it was done...if that note isn't there, there was no bump charging.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If you do this, the battery usage page will indicate that it was done...if that note isn't there, there was no bump charging.
That's true I forgot to mention that. It happened right after I got the phone when I was running to Best Buy to have the screen protector put on because I'd ruined the one I had. The phone wasn't fully charged so I plugged it in the car on the way over, and I got that notice. Don't remember the exact wording but it was what you said.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

smoledman

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
What are you talking about! First week of usage and I'm getting fantastic battery life! I never get below 56% by the time I leave work without ever charging it, 11 hours after taking it off the charger! All on default settings!

dexterouz

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Is it that bad? I'd average 5 hours of usage on my iPhone 6 with Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter installed...the usually battery hogging apps. You could have a bad battery Davyo or it might be iOS's fault...

I think it's a bad idea to turn off features so you can barely get to the advertised battery life. This is not a good user experience at all! And let's not forget that iOS 9 promised +1h of battery!

Agreed! :beer:

Also, I believe Apple can do wonders in battery segment since they control H/W and S/W. But unable to do justice. iPhone 6s have dual core & around 720p display so it should draw comparatively less power than Android Octa Core LITTLE.big CPU and FHD/2K display. They provide amazing battery life in MBP series :D

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
These phones cost enough already. $750 for a phone and then $100 for a battery case just to get decent battery life? Am I the only one here who thinks that's ridiculous?

I'll spend $750 or more on a iPhone and $100 on a battery case or $20 on a external battery to get the job done.
If I'm traveling for 8 plus hours and need power I'll use the tools or tech available to get power.
Do I say to my boss that I can't read your music because I couldn't charge my device or Apple needs to make a bigger battery? No. Its my responsibility not Apple to make it happen to make it work.
Man forget crying about battery life. Get it done. I'll hook a car battery up to my phone if it's going help make that money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'll spend $750 or more on a iPhone and $100 on a battery case or $20 on a external battery to get the job done.
If I'm traveling for 8 plus hours and need power I'll use the tools or tech available to get power.
Do I say to my boss that I can't read your music because I couldn't charge my device or Apple needs to make a bigger battery? No. Its my responsibility not Apple to make it happen to make it work.
Man forget crying about battery life. Get it done. I'll hook a car battery up to my phone if it's going help make that money.

It is Apples responsinty to give the user good battery life because their the ones who decided to enclose it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It is Apples responsinty to give the user good battery life because their the ones who decided to enclose it.

It is not Apple's responsibility to do anything. You know the specifications of the phone. You know from use about how long it should it last. From my reading, which I have been doing a lot lately as I am possibly buying one, it should last 6-8hrs of moderate to heavy use.

Apple has made a product, it us up to the costumer if that product meets there needs. If it does not, then do not buy it. It really is as simple as that. I have yet to find, read about a cell phone that will last 9am to 3am with moderate to heavy use. However, it is obvious the Iphone is not for you as it does not meet your needs. Apple does not have to tailor a product to you, they make a product that meets millions of peoples needs with some that it will not meet.

Continuing to argue with someone who has a different opinion does not really help much. Having a constructive discussion on different points does help. This is not what this thread is about.

Good luck finding a phone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It is not Apple's responsibility to do anything. You know the specifications of the phone. You know from use about how long it should it last. From my reading, which I have been doing a lot lately as I am possibly buying one, it should last 6-8hrs of moderate to heavy use.

Apple has made a product, it us up to the costumer if that product meets there needs. If it does not, then do not buy it. It really is as simple as that. I have yet to find, read about a cell phone that will last 9am to 3am with moderate to heavy use. However, it is obvious the Iphone is not for you as it does not meet your needs. Apple does not have to tailor a product to you, they make a product that meets millions of peoples needs with some that it will not meet.

Continuing to argue with someone who has a different opinion does not really help much. Having a constructive discussion on different points does help. This is not what this thread is about.

Good luck finding a phone.

Good luck? I'm happy with my 6 Plus..... The 6 has an awful battery that should of had a bigger one

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Good luck? I'm happy with my 6 Plus..... The 6 has an awful battery that should of had a bigger one

This is like "I got a stick shift car but manual transmissions are new to me so this car is crap".

Manage your battery, take the tips people gave you. And you make it sound like you live/work/study in a grotto where there are no power outlets anywhere, haha! Come on =P

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only person left who is near a charger at any point of the day or night? Why do people act like it matters more how much is left at the end of the day vs the fact that they were able to do what they wanted without the phone going dead?

OP, this isn't directed at you. But thread after thread chastising the battery life of the 6 and 6S just has me bewildered. The phone is smaller and therefore the size of the battery is too. Despite this, I get 5-7 hours of usage in between charges if I run it down to 10% from 100%. For me to expect anything more is downright unreasonable.

Perhaps I am one of the few left who doesn't view plugging my phone in as 'acceptance of failure'. If I am at my desk, I plug it in. In my car, plug it in. Not using it at home, plug it in. Going to bed? Wait for it......plug it in. And as others have suggested:

• Turn off wifi when not using so it isnt searching for availability
  • Use wifi when available and cellular is weak signal
  • Turn off background app refresh
  • Turn down the screen brightness
  • Turn email to fetch manually
  • Turn location services off to save GPS tracking (unless needed)
  • Reduce your streaming
  • Turn off bluetooth when not in use
If all else fails and one simply MUST have all day battery life without ever needing to charge, then consider the 6S Plus.

Seems like your not getting very good battery life I use my phone all day for surfing texting etc etc and get 10 percent per hour used

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is like "I got a stick shift car but manual transmissions are new to me so this car is crap".

Manage your battery, take the tips people gave you. And you make it sound like you live/work/study in a grotto where there are no power outlets anywhere, haha! Come on =P

I'm still trying to figure out how a working student can find time to hang out with friends until 3 am and be up by 9 am. How do you manage a GPA to stay in your major????? Unless you're Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein that would be difficult. The battery life is the least of my interest there.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how a working student can find time to hang out with friends until 3 am and be up by 9 am. How do you manage a GPA to stay in your major????? Unless you're Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein that would be difficult. The battery life is the least of my interest there.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4

Haha I know right! I could barely do that when I was only studying so I totally forgot that idea when I found a job in the meantime =P
But hey, we had electricity so I could still charge my phone!

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind though, that is 5-7 hours of actual usage time I am getting. Combined with standby time, my phone is lasting most of the day.

Sidenote, Bulls fan I see? Any chance you are in the Chicago area? I am headed to Milwaukee now to see the Cubs play. Bummer about D Rose, yet, again.

I live in the suburbs of Milwaukee :) bulls and Blackhawks for life though.. I'm a Brewers fan though

As far as battery life I have 3 hours 7 minutes of usage and 10 hours of standby right now and I'm at 70 percent with no charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh