Anyone else bummed about the poorer quality of the camera in the 6S? I'm noticing markedly worse images than my 6. Sometimes the in-camera noise reduction is so bad, that it ruins the picture. Things aren't as clear or sharp as they used to be. I can see it even without zooming. I hope Apple can make a fix, but I'm guessing it's a hardware issue

iPhone 6s pictures poor quality-comparison.jpg
    09-28-2015 05:18 PM
    That's one opinion.

I'd be shocked if a 12MP camera took worse pictures than a 8MP camera. Somethings not right
    kalel715 likes this.
    09-28-2015 06:04 PM
    Wife's 6S takes pictures with as good quality or better than her 6 did...I notice a sharpness increase and low light improvement, which is very similar to the results I've found on my 6S Plus. The example you posted is very clearly not the same from picture to picture (whether it's angle, zoom or whatever). I'd say if you personally notice a legitimate quality degradation, go get it repaired or replaced. I've read nothing but positive reviews online about both cameras...and combined with me and my wife's personal experience so far, I'd say your assessment is isolated to your handset.

Here's a nice article giving some visual comparisons of every iPhone released so far...

The ultimate iPhone camera comparison: How does the iPhone 6s camera compare to every other iPhone generation? ~ snap snap snap
    09-28-2015 07:02 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I was Wondering if I have a bad one too. Perhaps I should bring to Apple.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:42 PM
    Looks like one was edited. It's the same photo. How can you take the same photo with 2 different phones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-28-2015 07:48 PM
    Neither were edited. I held two different phones side by side for testing.
    09-28-2015 07:53 PM
    Actually I read an article to this point today. I'll see if I can dig up the link. But it has to do with that noise reduction. I don't think its a bad camera.
    09-28-2015 08:00 PM
    09-28-2015 08:01 PM
    That's exactly what's going on. I'll have to keep testing mine in different situations. I posted this to see if anyone else was having issues. I'm a huge Apple fan, and was feeling disappointed.
    09-28-2015 08:14 PM
    So after reading the article posted above I have to say this is the reason 8mp or 12mp don't mean much and when people on other devices say mine is 16mp Apple sucks .. They really don't have a clue and Apple knew what they were talking about

nikkisharif likes this.
    09-28-2015 09:12 PM
    Attachment 93048

Something tells me they won't issue a fix for something that's clearly not broken. Perhaps you have a lemon.
    Dang this picture's so good I'd be tempted to use as a wallpaper.

The Lannisters send their regards
    09-28-2015 09:46 PM
    That's exactly what's going on. I'll have to keep testing mine in different situations. I posted this to see if anyone else was having issues. I'm a huge Apple fan, and was feeling disappointed.
    I returned my 6s but had the same issues your were seeing. When zoomed in the over sharpening was causing me to lose detail vs my 6. Especially indoors.
    09-28-2015 10:28 PM
    iPhone 6s pictures poor quality-img_0063.jpgiPhone 6s pictures poor quality-img_0077.jpg

me personally i notice difference only because, i have shaky hands really shaky and i had six plus. i believe correct me if im wrong six plus had the optical stablazition or whatever it was called. my photos sometimes seem be blurry with my shaky condition so i make sure i take enough and just delete the bad ones. but other then that im quite impressed still
    shief24 and nikkisharif like this.
    09-28-2015 11:13 PM
    What was shown in that article and what you posted in your first post are completely different scenarios...what was discussed in the link was not relevant to the photos taken unless viewed in a 100% zoomed scenario, essentially forcing whatever noise is there to be pronounced. This would not be noticeable in a normal viewing scenario...again, only when LOOKING for it.
    09-28-2015 11:32 PM
    yes camera is poor and geting hot fast
    09-28-2015 11:56 PM
    also battary die fast
    09-28-2015 11:57 PM
    Taken with my new 6S.
    Attached Thumbnails iPhone 6s pictures poor quality-img_1723.jpg  
    09-29-2015 12:18 PM
    [ATTACH]not reposting it[/ATTACH]

Something tells me they won't issue a fix for something that's clearly not broken. Perhaps you have a lemon.
    I want to hurt you for posting that photo.
    qbnkelt and nikkisharif like this.
    09-29-2015 12:51 PM
    Lol let me put any fears regarding the lack of OIS on the 6S to bed. If you could have seen how badly my hand was shaking being that close to a spider.....
    If you were in smacking range when I saw it on my screen...
    EricandSuebee likes this.
    09-29-2015 03:23 PM
    Nothing is wrong with the phone or the camera. You might just suck at taking pictures fam.
    09-30-2015 01:39 AM
    VERY interesting article. Thank you.
    09-30-2015 12:25 PM
    Anyone else bummed about the poorer quality of the camera in the 6S? I'm noticing markedly worse images than my 6. Sometimes the in-camera noise reduction is so bad, that it ruins the picture. Things aren't as clear or sharp as they used to be. I can see it even without zooming. I hope Apple can make a fix, but I'm guessing it's a hardware issue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	93037
    Those are two entirely different shots, from the camera's perspective. One is full on your face, but the one on the right is actually focused on the brick wall behind you instead of your face because your face is too close. It can't deal with that, which is more of a macro shot from the looks of it, and instead focuses on what it can deal with which is the wall behind. The shot on the left was further away from the camera and there was only a sliver of the wall.
    From the camera's perspective, totally different.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-30-2015 12:29 PM
    Try taking pictures with Live Photos turned off. I have heard this can decrease the image quality. Not sure if it's true but worth a try.
    10-01-2015 11:38 AM
    With HDR Pro app

10-03-2015 07:00 PM
    You're not imagining things - the 6s plus takes noticeably worse shots than those before it. This was evident 1st when Dpreview posted sample shots and most were commenting on it, but since then other sites have posted images with similar comments, both good and bad lighting shots. The 6s is producing a "digital mush" painting type effect that is seen when you view the photos at larger sizes that is much more pronounced than previous generations of the phone.

They are using a new type of sensor tech in this model, and I'm going to take a stab at something here: I'm nearly 50 and remember when digital cameras were first coming out. Back then, Fuji caused controversy when they sold a number of cameras with 3 megapixel chips, but that could output a 6 megapixel image through a process that Fuji had some special name for, but which essentially was "interpolation". Where the image is physically enlarged in-camera pixels size wise, and pixels are added in-between the "real" pixels to fill in the space to make the photo larger. As a result, you technically got a 6 megapixel image, but it was really just 3 megapixels with fluff filled in to make it larger. Later they did it again with their 6mp cameras, outputting 12mp images, etc.

Those images had a very distinctive mushy/scratchy look to them at 100% viewed sizes.... the 6s plus images look A LOT like those old Fuji images to me. So what do I think? I wonder if Apple is using in-phone software to interpolate the 8 megapixel images from the last model, into 12 megapixel image files. In other words, I question if this is really a 12mp chip in the phones in a traditional sense or in the way it outputs images. That with overaggressive noise reduction software - poof - you have a nice watercolor effect instead of a nice, sharp, image. When views at Facebook, Twitter, and phone screen sizes, they look great, and the dynamic range remains very good. But slap them up on a laptop or desktop screen and wow - ugh - and blech.

I do expect more from a $900 phone, when there are phones costing half that price are now outputting sharper images with more detail rendition. This is must my opinion from someone who's used a ton of different phones, but who has used iPhones primarily, since the 4. Again, an opinion - I'm not going to debate or fight about it with anyone.
    11-10-2015 03:02 PM
55 123