There's a thread at arstechnica dealing with this issue (sorry I can't post the link, just do a search for "iPhone 6s camera watercolour effect").

You'll find a wealth of info there, particularly on page 2. The issue may be related to Apple's proprietary digital AIS (Automatic Image Stabilisation), which can be bypassed only by using a third-party app such as ProCamera.

I haven't been able to test this myself yet, but at least one user on that thread reports that the watercolour effects are reduced when you disable AIS using ProCamera. Sadly the stock camera app doesn't provide such advanced controls.
    11-14-2015 08:37 AM
    i really think some people need chill out clearly they are expecting dslr camera shots from a CELLPHONE
    scruffypig likes this.
    11-15-2015 12:47 AM
    I don't think people are expecting too much to have spent $800+ and the camera is worse then the iPhone 5s. I've done side by side tests and as far as sharpness and detail the 5s is better. My 6s shows way too much watercolor effect.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-15-2015 12:18 PM
    i am having the same issue with my iPhone 6s plus. Please help.
    11-15-2015 12:51 PM
    I don't think people are expecting too much to have spent $800+ and the camera is worse then the iPhone 5s. I've done side by side tests and as far as sharpness and detail the 5s is better. My 6s shows way too much watercolor effect.
    I've also seen people who have done " side by sides" and you can clearly see they were taken at different angles zooms etc, ive also seen some where people have manipulated it with photoshop etc. I do photography for living I use photoshop know how to detect manipulation. I've had each iPhone since 5 including a 6plus and think by far best. I've took portraits for people and have been paid and they couldn't believe a phone did that. If you wanna look ove a photo for hours with magnify glass I'm sure you could find plenty wrong. And if you pay 800$ for a phone to just take pictures should consider a camera. There's always something with every device, bendgAte we passed that then hair gate and chip Gate. Maybe call this cam gate ? :-/
    11-15-2015 01:38 PM
    Nobody said they expect DSLR quality from the iphone. just better quality or at least the same from previous models...Geez.

I Know photography too. Been doing it since 1976 darkroom and all. So when I say I did side by sides I know what I'm talking about. You shouldn't "assume" People have less knowledge then you. If people and myself included see the 6s camera as being worse then the 5s it just may be that. Okay?

"you got paid for portrait of people using your phone? And they couldn't believe a phone did that? And you say if you pay $800 for a phone just to take pictures you should get a camera?" But you use your phone for paid portraits... Okay......
    Last edited by dennislaska; 11-15-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    11-15-2015 01:54 PM
    Nobody said they expect DSLR quality from the iphone. just better quality or at least the same from previous models...Geez.

I Know photography too. Been doing it since 1976 darkroom and all. So when I say I did side by sides I know what I'm talking about. You shouldn't "assume" People have less knowledge then you. If people and myself included see the 6s camera as being worse then the 5s it just may be that. Okay?

"you got paid for portrait of people using your phone? And they couldn't believe a phone did that? And you say if you pay $800 for a phone just to take pictures you should get a camera?" But you use your phone for paid portraits... Okay......
    1 I didn't say you I said I seen plenty of side by sides where you clearly tell there not same picture.

2 I took those as a bonus to test it out and write a review for a friends blog so you should not assume either it works both ways. Yo took what I said as personal and directed it towards you.

3 my point is there is always going be people who will find something to focus on, if you need better then stock camera pictures there's 100s of apps on the App Store. I also didn't pay 800 for a phone to focus on one thing I use it for a phone a MP3 player Internet and games and video recorder.
    11-15-2015 05:42 PM
    Good day sir.
    Last edited by dennislaska; 11-15-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    11-15-2015 07:04 PM
    Are you sure those pics were taken by iPhone 6s and iPhone 6?
    I think they are in poor quality.
    Cuz my iPhone 6s has remarkable performance in photography than my old iPhone.
    11-17-2015 02:30 AM
    No, but I do expect Apple to be able to perfect a camera as well as Samsung has. I have the Samsung Galaxy s6 and and iPhone 6s and the Samsung takes better pictures.
    11-18-2015 10:05 PM
    No, but I do expect Apple to be able to perfect a camera as well as Samsung has. I have the Samsung Galaxy s6 and and iPhone 6s and the Samsung takes better pictures.
    This video should help you:

11-19-2015 03:41 PM
    5s vs 6s 100% crop (used pro camera app on the 6s to remove apple NR)

iPhone 6s pictures poor quality-6s-vs-5s.jpg
    11-24-2015 08:19 PM
    5s vs 6s 100% crop (used pro camera app on the 6s to remove apple NR)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6s vs 5s.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	98819
    Depends on what the presets on ProCamera were set on. Lighting control can make a difference.
    11-25-2015 06:01 PM
    "Depends on what the presets on ProCamera were set on. Lighting control can make a difference."

Captain obvious. Know what else can make a difference, iphone sample variation etc. etc.
    Know what else can make a difference, people not doing any sort of controlled test and acting like they know what they're talking about just to post something.
    11-26-2015 07:18 AM
    Had the 6 now have 6s but photo quality on 6s is poor, go to DPReview mobile photography forum and see thread there on iPhone 6s camera being poor, hope this can be addressed in an iOS update?
    If a physical camera is poor, what good will a software update do? Just asking.
    12-03-2015 09:09 AM
    how does Pro Cam app remove apples NR, curious cos I'm really not happy with the waxy look to skin from the 6s, thanks
    Apps in iOS are sandboxed, so when a camera app takes a photo, it uses it's own interface and processing, not Apple's. The 3rd party app still can save and have access to the camera roll, but you need to give it permission. This means a 3rd party app can edit any imaged saved from the camera roll. One rule of digital photography: you can't add what wasn't there in the first place.
    12-03-2015 09:25 AM
    The MP has little to do with picture quality. MP has more of an affect on being able to zoom and blow a picture up in size without distortion. The biggest factor in quality is the lense and to some point the software from what I have read.
    12-07-2015 09:23 AM
    The software in ISO tries remove the digital noise and by doing so it smears the images detail.

here is a 80% extreme crop of an iphone 5s. Has no smearing, just more digital noise (grain) which is preferred. You can always remove the noise later but can never replace the deyail.

http://www.pbase.com/image/155260273

iPhone 6s pictures poor quality-155260273.joz4ctpd.41614.jpg
    Last edited by dennislaska; 12-08-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    12-08-2015 06:17 AM
    Turning off "Live" photos especially in low light settings helps dramatically.
    12-08-2015 02:20 PM
    Yes, but if you see my results above of the $20 bill with the NR off the 6s is slightly better.
    veskop likes this.
    12-10-2015 06:13 PM
    Hi,

Need your Help. Facing Same issue with the camera. The images are blotchy even in day light. I took the phone to the apple store and they say it is the way camera has to behave in 6S. I argued a lot and they were just too adamant to accept. Infact when i questioned how the sample images displayed on the website are so clear, their reply was that they were taken by DSLR and by a professional.. I was like shocked.. Is this true?
    I dont know what to do with my phone. It is like to use camera i pickup my old iphone 5 and for rest of them iphone 6s

Thanks.
    Roopali
    04-10-2016 11:41 PM
    A lot of people who are using their iPhone for pro photography are using custom lens kits. I have one on my Wish list over on Amazon. It has exceptional reviews... 4.5 out of 5 stars. Plus, it comes with a few cases, which means I can use it on my 6s and my fiance' can use it on his SE.

Amazon.com: Luxsure iPhone Camera lens kit With 12x Zoom Aluminum Telephoto lens Manual Focus Lens + Universal Phone Holder + Mini Aluminum Tripod + Hard Protection Case for iPhone 6s/6s Plus/6 plus/6/5s/5: Cell Phones & Accessories
    scruffypig likes this.
    04-11-2016 12:01 PM
    I am not seeing it my phone takes spectacular photos just as good as the LG G4 it replaced. Either the lense is dirty focus is incorrect or something. Just looked at all the photos I took this weekend and only one came out smeared at 100% crop and that was of a moving 3 year old.
    04-12-2016 10:44 PM
    No issues with my 6s Plus. But I use ProCamera +HDR as my default. I rarely use the stock camera.
    04-12-2016 11:09 PM
    A lot of people who are using their iPhone for pro photography are using custom lens kits. I have one on my Wish list over on Amazon. It has exceptional reviews... 4.5 out of 5 stars. Plus, it comes with a few cases, which means I can use it on my 6s and my fiance' can use it on his SE.

Amazon.com: Luxsure iPhone Camera lens kit With 12x Zoom Aluminum Telephoto lens Manual Focus Lens + Universal Phone Holder + Mini Aluminum Tripod + Hard Protection Case for iPhone 6s/6s Plus/6 plus/6/5s/5: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Thanks for sharing this! I just ordered it as a birthday present for ME!
    MooMooPrincess and Spencerdl like this.
    04-13-2016 08:52 AM
55 123