iPhone 6s pictures poor quality

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else bummed about the poorer quality of the camera in the 6S? I'm noticing markedly worse images than my 6. Sometimes the in-camera noise reduction is so bad, that it ruins the picture. Things aren't as clear or sharp as they used to be. I can see it even without zooming. I hope Apple can make a fix, but I'm guessing it's a hardware issue

View attachment 93037

Those are two entirely different shots, from the camera's perspective. One is full on your face, but the one on the right is actually focused on the brick wall behind you instead of your face because your face is too close. It can't deal with that, which is more of a macro shot from the looks of it, and instead focuses on what it can deal with which is the wall behind. The shot on the left was further away from the camera and there was only a sliver of the wall.
From the camera's perspective, totally different.

LLGolf01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Try taking pictures with Live Photos turned off. I have heard this can decrease the image quality. Not sure if it's true but worth a try.

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
With HDR Pro app
eaf4b15484c333d77dd8e56dbe0ca7ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen Gregg

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
You're not imagining things - the 6s plus takes noticeably worse shots than those before it. This was evident 1st when Dpreview posted sample shots and most were commenting on it, but since then other sites have posted images with similar comments, both good and bad lighting shots. The 6s is producing a "digital mush" painting type effect that is seen when you view the photos at larger sizes that is much more pronounced than previous generations of the phone.

They are using a new type of sensor tech in this model, and I'm going to take a stab at something here: I'm nearly 50 and remember when digital cameras were first coming out. Back then, Fuji caused controversy when they sold a number of cameras with 3 megapixel chips, but that could output a 6 megapixel image through a process that Fuji had some special name for, but which essentially was "interpolation". Where the image is physically enlarged in-camera pixels size wise, and pixels are added in-between the "real" pixels to fill in the space to make the photo larger. As a result, you technically got a 6 megapixel image, but it was really just 3 megapixels with fluff filled in to make it larger. Later they did it again with their 6mp cameras, outputting 12mp images, etc.

Those images had a very distinctive mushy/scratchy look to them at 100% viewed sizes.... the 6s plus images look A LOT like those old Fuji images to me. So what do I think? I wonder if Apple is using in-phone software to interpolate the 8 megapixel images from the last model, into 12 megapixel image files. In other words, I question if this is really a 12mp chip in the phones in a traditional sense or in the way it outputs images. That with overaggressive noise reduction software - poof - you have a nice watercolor effect instead of a nice, sharp, image. When views at Facebook, Twitter, and phone screen sizes, they look great, and the dynamic range remains very good. But slap them up on a laptop or desktop screen and wow - ugh - and blech.

I do expect more from a $900 phone, when there are phones costing half that price are now outputting sharper images with more detail rendition. This is must my opinion from someone who's used a ton of different phones, but who has used iPhones primarily, since the 4. Again, an opinion - I'm not going to debate or fight about it with anyone.

outpost33

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
There's a thread at arstechnica dealing with this issue (sorry I can't post the link, just do a search for "iPhone 6s camera watercolour effect").

You'll find a wealth of info there, particularly on page 2. The issue may be related to Apple's proprietary digital AIS (Automatic Image Stabilisation), which can be bypassed only by using a third-party app such as ProCamera.

I haven't been able to test this myself yet, but at least one user on that thread reports that the watercolour effects are reduced when you disable AIS using ProCamera. Sadly the stock camera app doesn't provide such advanced controls.

dennislaska

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think people are expecting too much to have spent $800+ and the camera is worse then the iPhone 5s. I've done side by side tests and as far as sharpness and detail the 5s is better. My 6s shows way too much watercolor effect.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't think people are expecting too much to have spent $800+ and the camera is worse then the iPhone 5s. I've done side by side tests and as far as sharpness and detail the 5s is better. My 6s shows way too much watercolor effect.

I've also seen people who have done " side by sides" and you can clearly see they were taken at different angles zooms etc, ive also seen some where people have manipulated it with photoshop etc. I do photography for living I use photoshop know how to detect manipulation. I've had each iPhone since 5 including a 6plus and think by far best. I've took portraits for people and have been paid and they couldn't believe a phone did that. If you wanna look ove a photo for hours with magnify glass I'm sure you could find plenty wrong. And if you pay 800$ for a phone to just take pictures should consider a camera. There's always something with every device, bendgAte we passed that then hair gate and chip Gate. Maybe call this cam gate ? :-/

dennislaska

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Nobody said they expect DSLR quality from the iphone. just better quality or at least the same from previous models...Geez.

I Know photography too. Been doing it since 1976 darkroom and all. So when I say I did side by sides I know what I'm talking about. You shouldn't "assume" People have less knowledge then you. If people and myself included see the 6s camera as being worse then the 5s it just may be that. Okay?

"you got paid for portrait of people using your phone? And they couldn't believe a phone did that? And you say if you pay $800 for a phone just to take pictures you should get a camera?" But you use your phone for paid portraits... Okay......

Last edited:

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Nobody said they expect DSLR quality from the iphone. just better quality or at least the same from previous models...Geez.

I Know photography too. Been doing it since 1976 darkroom and all. So when I say I did side by sides I know what I'm talking about. You shouldn't "assume" People have less knowledge then you. If people and myself included see the 6s camera as being worse then the 5s it just may be that. Okay?

"you got paid for portrait of people using your phone? And they couldn't believe a phone did that? And you say if you pay $800 for a phone just to take pictures you should get a camera?" But you use your phone for paid portraits... Okay......

1 I didn't say you I said I seen plenty of side by sides where you clearly tell there not same picture.

2 I took those as a bonus to test it out and write a review for a friends blog so you should not assume either it works both ways. Yo took what I said as personal and directed it towards you.

3 my point is there is always going be people who will find something to focus on, if you need better then stock camera pictures there's 100s of apps on the App Store. I also didn't pay 800 for a phone to focus on one thing I use it for a phone a MP3 player Internet and games and video recorder.

Leyo Christie

Banned
Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure those pics were taken by iPhone 6s and iPhone 6?
I think they are in poor quality.
Cuz my iPhone 6s has remarkable performance in photography than my old iPhone.

Leslie Hatcher

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
No, but I do expect Apple to be able to perfect a camera as well as Samsung has. I have the Samsung Galaxy s6 and and iPhone 6s and the Samsung takes better pictures.

dennislaska

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
"Depends on what the presets on ProCamera were set on. Lighting control can make a difference."

Captain obvious. Know what else can make a difference, iphone sample variation etc. etc.
Know what else can make a difference, people not doing any sort of controlled test and acting like they know what they're talking about just to post something.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6s pictures poor quality YES!

Had the 6 now have 6s but photo quality on 6s is poor, go to DPReview mobile photography forum and see thread there on iPhone 6s camera being poor, hope this can be addressed in an iOS update?

If a physical camera is poor, what good will a software update do? Just asking.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner