Preordered a 6s and is coming with a new sim?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
As noted above, the instructions you will receive typically will involve activating the new device with the SIM card that is already pre-installed in the device.

In addition, if you "trade your old phone back in to Verizon", take the SIM card out. Don't turn that in with the phone.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
If I understand what I was told by an AT&T rep, and I am sure the experts will correct if I am wrong, a SIM can only be activated once. So it is actually useless for another phone once it has been deactivated (ie another SIM activated to a phone number formerly attached to that SIM). True?

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Im confused do i just leave the old sim in my old phone and trade it back in to verizon or do i take it out of my old phone and put it in the new one?

My question too. I want to use the SIM that's in my current iPhone 6 in my new 6s when it arrives. So I can use my main phone number with the new phone. So when I get the new device, (October sometime) can I just put my current SIM in the new phone and be ready to go?

Aceroller

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My question too. I want to use the SIM that's in my current iPhone 6 in my new 6s when it arrives. So I can use my main phone number with the new phone. So when I get the new device, (October sometime) can I just put my current SIM in the new phone and be ready to go?

Yes you can. I always take the SIM out of my current iPhone, and pop it into the new one. Works perfectly every time on AT&T.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
If you bought the phone from the carrier or from Apple associate with a carrier, the new SIM should already be associated with your existing number and all you need to do is activate the phone. Then the SIM in he old phone can just be trashed.

I purchased thru AT&T and I added a device to my account as I am keeping my current 6, which is the one I want to switch the SIM card out with. Put my current SIM in the new 6s, which will then put my phone number on the new device, and put the new SIM that comes in the new phone in my current 6. Can I do that since I am keeping the old 6.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I purchased thru AT&T and I added a device to my account as I am keeping my current 6, which is the one I want to switch the SIM card out with. Put my current SIM in the new 6s, which will then put my phone number on the new device, and put the new SIM that comes in the new phone in my current 6. Can I do that since I am keeping the old 6.

Only one SIM will work. If you want to use the old SIM, don't activate the one that comes with 6s. If you activate the new one, old sim will stop working.
You can't get two SIM cards working for one mobile number. That's how it is in my country at least.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Only one SIM will work. If you want to use the old SIM, don't activate the one that comes with 6s. If you activate the new one, old sim will stop working.
You can't get two SIM cards working for one mobile number. That's how it is in my country at least.

seems like she has 2 phones on her account.. just what I gathered from her comments..

You can use the new sim in old phone if needed

Aceroller

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yes you can. This is exactly what I do. Whatever SIM you put in the iPhone, that's what line it will automatically be. :)

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up an iPhone 6s, model A1633/AT&T phone with band 30. They just popped the SIM from my old iPhone 6 and put it in the new iPhone 6s (and put the new SIM in the old phone, which is at the moment not associated with a service). All worked fine.

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes, that's exactly what you're gonna want to do. Take your current SIM and put it in the new phone. Since you added a device, the new phone will have a new SIM with a different number. Your current SIM has your current number. So...switch em! :)

psyclingfan

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
My t-mobile upgrade didn't come with instructions. There was a sim in the new phone. But it was some weird long extended phone number. So I just popped out the sim in my old phone and put it in there. And everything is working fine. Should I call T Mobile and just make sure there's not two sims activated on the one line?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

some carriers have dual-sim solutions. You can activate one number on two sims, but you can have one phone turned on at the time. You'll have to put the other phone in Airplane Mode or switch it off entirely.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
some carriers have dual-sim solutions. You can activate one number on two sims, but you can have one phone turned on at the time. You'll have to put the other phone in Airplane Mode or switch it off entirely.

Thanks for the information. I'll search more about it. 👍

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't aware that there were any carriers in the US that support this functionality.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't aware that there were any carriers in the US that support this functionality.

I'm in the Netherlands. But still, I was under the impression it's a worldwide possibility. The technology exists from when luxury cars had build in phones. You only had to shut off the one phone and start your car, they both had a SIM card installed with the same phone number.