When my iPhone 6s arrives should I restore from backup or setup as new?

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Can someone advise if it's possible to set up as new, but still keep app data for certain apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That depends on the app. Like if you have Game Center on all your games, when you install them, you will pick up where you left off.
If it's not in game center and you didn't make a user name and password, it will likely start over.

Same goes for non games as well. Apps like 1 password, require an account to use. so by logging into the app, it should remember all your passwords.

Basically anything that didn't require you making a user account name and password, will all start over like a new app.
You have a little time before you get your new phone. look at your apps and check them out in itunes. See if they mention that they are backing up app data. (in description)

On side note. I always set up as a brand new clean phone. I off load all pictures to Photos (mac) or My Pictures (windows), contacts are all saved to my Gmail acct, so soon as I log that acct in, all contacts restore.
I also use the New Google photos since its 100% unlimited storage (up to 16MP and 1080p video) that way, I don't have to have apple back my picts up at all ( saves room to use the 5GB for basics, contacts, calendar etc)

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I always setup as new. It's become a tradition and that's what I'll be doing Friday evening. It gives me a chance to go through and get rid of apps that I don't use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the exact same thing every year. Helps keep out the cluttered apps I don't use / want anymore.

Sent from my  iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My preference for any new device (PC or phone) is to start with a clean setup so I have a reference point and see it working correctly. I can always restore a backup later when I have cleared up the inevitable surprises.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes when people are having battery issues, a factory reset and a "set up as new" helps. Maybe Apple has a list of configuration files that get kept as a safety net despite the apps no longer existing. Kind of like junk DNA kept along with the organism along its evolutionary path. We don't know for sure though but it seems likely given that OS X, Windows and Android experience build-up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That depends on the app. Like if you have Game Center on all your games, when you install them, you will pick up where you left off.
If it's not in game center and you didn't make a user name and password, it will likely start over.

Same goes for non games as well. Apps like 1 password, require an account to use. so by logging into the app, it should remember all your passwords.

Basically anything that didn't require you making a user account name and password, will all start over like a new app.
You have a little time before you get your new phone. look at your apps and check them out in itunes. See if they mention that they are backing up app data. (in description)

On side note. I always set up as a brand new clean phone. I off load all pictures to Photos (mac) or My Pictures (windows), contacts are all saved to my Gmail acct, so soon as I log that acct in, all contacts restore.
I also use the New Google photos since its 100% unlimited storage (up to 16MP and 1080p video) that way, I don't have to have apple back my picts up at all ( saves room to use the 5GB for basics, contacts, calendar etc)

Game Center does not save your game progress. That's up to the app developers. Game Center saves your statistics and stuff. Any game progress that's saved in iCloud is because the developer made it so.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry noob question. If my iPhone 6 is jailbroken and I am still on iOS 8. Can I still restore from backup on iPhone 6s or I have to start as new. And if I start as new. I will still have my picture in my gallery right. The only thing is that I have re download all my apps. Thank you

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry noob question. If my iPhone 6 is jailbroken and I am still on iOS 8. Can I still restore from backup on iPhone 6s or I have to start as new. And if I start as new. I will still have my picture in my gallery right. The only thing is that I have re download all my apps. Thank you

Also, if you set up as new and use a password keeper like 1Password, you need to be sure it's synced to your computer or Dropbox. Otherwise you will lose your passwords.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I always set up as new just to get rid of any and all old files and junk I had accumulated during the past year. I'm guessing that could be allot of junk. Not a whiz with IOS but doing that I've never had any problems. My new 6S plus with 128gb of int-storage is on its way, received my tracking #'s yesterday. Waiting and watching for that UPS TRUCK, there it is, nope, false alarm.

Zafla

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I just need some clarification. I'm planning to set up my device as new. My friend said that once I do, that if I sign in to iCloud I can pull my contacts, reminders, calendar and notes. Just making sure I'll be able to. I'm not worried about my messages since they automatically delete after 30 days and all my photos are on Dropbox. I also don't mind setting up all my apps again.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Game Center does not save your game progress. That's up to the app developers. Game Center saves your statistics and stuff. Any game progress that's saved in iCloud is because the developer made it so.

Any developer that is taking advantage of Game center, is saving your progress. They wouldn't bother writing game center log ins into the code if they were not going to back up where you left off. it's not hard to understand. If it logs into game center, if will resume where you left off when you log back into game center and install the game.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I just need some clarification. I'm planning to set up my device as new. My friend said that once I do, that if I sign in to iCloud I can pull my contacts, reminders, calendar and notes. Just making sure I'll be able to...

Yes as long as that is where you are syncing that data

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm gonna set up has new. Love the feeling of a fresh install with no baggage lol

Totally agree but this will be the first new iPhone I do not setup as new because I would lose my workout data on my Apple Watch by doing so -- oh well, hopefully Apple will separate the iPhone and Watch backup data someday

randallking

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I just need some clarification. I'm planning to set up my device as new. My friend said that once I do, that if I sign in to iCloud I can pull my contacts, reminders, calendar and notes. Just making sure I'll be able to. I'm not worried about my messages since they automatically delete after 30 days and all my photos are on Dropbox. I also don't mind setting up all my apps again.

If you want to be certain, just sign in to icloud.com in your browser on a Mac or PC. See if all your contacts, reminders, notes, and calendar items show up there.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have never set up as new. Wouldnt you lose all data like message and call history? Is there a way to back up your notes? What about your camera roll? Do you not reload pics? or does everyone just use cloud storage for that?

Wow, the more I think about it, you have to reenter your wallet info, your network info, your mail info.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

Whatever is saved in your iCloud account will be transferred to the new device , go to iCloud.com and then check and make sure all your data is there

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I have never set up as new. Wouldnt you lose all data like message and call history? Is there a way to back up your notes? What about your camera roll? Do you not reload pics? or does everyone just use cloud storage for that?

Wow, the more I think about it, you have to reenter your wallet info, your network info, your mail info.

A lot of that comes back when you enter your iCloud info. Although yes you would lose call/text history and you have to setup up mail accounts again. I use Apple Photos so all of that comes back, notes are sync'd with iCloud so those come back. Known networks also come back via iCloud. Wallet info needs to be re-authenticated no matter what you do. So for me, starting "fresh" with a clean install and the new iPhone running smooth and fast is worth it once a year. However the deal breaker for me this time is my Apple Watch and losing all my activity data if I setup my new 6s+ as new... so I will be restoring from an iCloud backup....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2