So is the 6s waterproof? That'd be super awesome, I have four kids and need something sturdy!
    09-14-2015 10:59 PM
    Um ... no.

You will need a waterproof case if you expect it to be waterproof.
    09-14-2015 11:02 PM
    Yes it's waterproof just throw it in your pool. Apple Care will gladly smack you in the face.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    09-14-2015 11:42 PM
    There are no water proof smart phones.
    09-14-2015 11:48 PM
    There are no water proof smart phones.
    None? I know some are water resistant. Hmm. It's weird because there are waterproof cameras. So you'd think the technology is there to create it.
    09-15-2015 12:15 AM
    None? I know some are water resistant. Hmm. It's weird because there are waterproof cameras. So you'd think the technology is there to create it.
    It would solve the hesitation of throwing my phone to jump in a pool to save someone drowning lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-15-2015 12:17 AM
    So is the 6s waterproof? That'd be super awesome, I have four kids and need something sturdy!
    It's water resistant. I've seen many YouTube videos of iPhones working submerged in water for about 60 seconds.
    09-15-2015 12:19 AM
    The "waterproof" cameras really aren't either...they are just a heavy grade of water resistant.

There are tons of water resistant smart phone devices on the market, but unfortunately it all comes down to a misuse of terminology...NONE of these things are "waterproof"...to be waterproof something has to be impervious to water...so looking at the different devices out there which place limitations of their "waterproofing", it becomes clear that they're just loosely using the word and ignoring the definition because saying their new device is "water resistant" isn't quite as impressive, and doesn't look as sexy on marketing ads.

Sony is actually in some hot water right now over this very issue...kind of humorous to me, but gives you a kind of inside look at why you have to look at this stuff a bit more closely before just assuming what these marketing tools tell you is 100% factual...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/caution...t-under-water/
    09-15-2015 12:24 AM
    You can buy a waterproof case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 06:38 AM
    I really don't consider the cases "waterproof" either. You can only have then submerged for a certain period of time. Now on the other hand I have a diving watch that's good for 300 meters with an indefinite time. To me that's waterproof.

09-16-2015 07:27 AM
    I really don't consider the cases "waterproof" either. You can only have then submerged for a certain period of time. Now on the other hand I have a diving watch that's good for 300 meters with an indefinite time. To me that's waterproof.

I wonder why they can't use that technology on smartphones, tablets, cameras. Are the watch(s) you are talking about truly waterproof? How can you tell if they are? What type of material do they use?

I'm just curious. I've never owned a watch...
    09-16-2015 11:33 AM
    I have a diving watch that I've personally taken under 100 feet and it still works so to me that's waterproof.

I would think the main issue with a phone is the speaker. How can it be completely waterproof and still have sound travel through it.

As far as cameras if you get a professional camera you can buy a professional housing that is waterproof, no need for sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 12:25 PM
    You can buy a waterproof case.

Water resistant...not proof.
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    09-16-2015 03:59 PM
    09-16-2015 04:28 PM
    Water resistant...not proof.
    It says waterproof. And I go into the pool, tub, etc and it doesn't damage my phone. That's waterproof to me.

09-17-2015 07:46 AM
    I would think the main issue with a phone is the speaker. How can it be completely waterproof and still have sound travel through it.
    Easy, just make the speaker cone from a polymer material which will tolerate immersion in water. The difficult part is the making external connections like the 3.5mm headset socket and charging connector resist the skill-deficit of Users - as Microsoft and Samsung have found to their embarrassment.
    09-17-2015 10:20 AM
    To answer the thread question, NO. The iPhone 6S is NOT waterproof. As for waterproof/water-resistant cases, whatever floats your boat. I don't plan on having a conversation underwater in a pool and I highly doubt I'll be just chatting away in the rain on my phone whether in a waterproof/water-resistant case or not, but that's Just Me, D...
    zerog46 likes this.
    09-17-2015 10:31 AM
    It says waterproof. And I go into the pool, tub, etc and it doesn't damage my phone. That's waterproof to me.

That's fine if you want to define that for yourself...but the reality is, none of this stuff is waterproof, regardless of what the marketing mumbo jumbo leads you to believe...problem is that there just isn't a proper regulatory process on these cases to prevent them from using terminology like 'waterproof'...but I imagine you'll eventually see it very similarly to the way you see it on watches today.

Here's a link to a nice little Q&A about it from a childhood magazine I used to love...

Waterproof or water-resistant? | Boys' Life magazine
    09-17-2015 04:36 PM
    Well, it's in the conditions they detail. It's waterproof up to 16 feet and for an hour. As long as that holds true I'm fine with their claim of being waterproof.

09-17-2015 04:46 PM
    Well, it's in the conditions they detail. It's waterproof up to 16 feet and for an hour. As long as that holds true I'm fine with their claim of being waterproof.

No doubt...I've used a Lifeproof case before on my 5S. It definitely wasn't water proof but it protected my phone so that is all that matters. It's all just a matter of a terminology discrepancy. Enjoy your "waterproof" case...
    09-17-2015 04:56 PM
    No doubt...I've used a Lifeproof case before on my 5S. It definitely wasn't water proof but it protected my phone so that is all that matters. It's all just a matter of a terminology discrepancy. Enjoy your "waterproof" case...
    So far I am. It's really cool to be able to take videos and pictures in the pool and not have to worry so much when my kids are around. Always spills and messes and drops.

09-17-2015 09:24 PM
    Sony have water proof smart phones, which is not that expensive.
    lol...I suggest you go do some research on them, especially with more recent developments concerning their "waterproofing".
    09-18-2015 01:02 PM