Help! Upgrading to 6S using Apple iPhone Upgrade Program

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully somebody can provide some clarity for me regarding apples new upgrade program. I am currently under contract with Sprint, but I'm wanting to switch to Verizon. I understand that Sprint will charge me an early termination fee for switching, and I'm okay with that. That being said, I am unclear if my current commitment to Sprint will be an issue when I go to pick up my 6s Plus on 9/25 considering I want to activate it on Verizon's network and have them port my current phone number over. I contacted Apple Support and the lady, although very nice, wasn't 100% sure but said she could read that anybody "without a commitment" can activate their phone on any network.

Have you heard or read anything that could clear things up for me? Thanks.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... How would I do that? My existing phones are locked to Sprint. I also thought about establishing new service with Verizon at the time I pick up the phone with a new phone number and then just porting my current number over as soon as I get the phone. I could always find some old Verizon phones to establish service but I have five lines with Sprint, three of which are under contract. That's a lot of old phones to track down!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds on the onset something fairly simple will not be and would really recommend 1st calling Sprint and tell them what you want to do, They are either going to give you the exact thing you would have to do to get out or something they may offer you to stay because of all the lines involved, Not like people don't do this or call carriers with these questions all the time. Then call VZW and ask them if you wanted to do what you wish to do how would it work with them. Last I don't think you can have a number ported w/o having a device to port it to. Good luck to you.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It sounds on the onset something fairly simple will not be and would really recommend 1st calling Sprint and tell them what you want to do, They are either going to give you the exact thing you would have to do to get out or something they may offer you to stay because of all the lines involved, Not like people don't do this or call carriers with these questions all the time. Then call VZW and ask them if you wanted to do what you wish to do how would it work with them. Last I don't think you can have a number ported w/o having a device to port it to. Good luck to you.

One would think it would be an easy process. Apple gives me an unlocked phone which I am ultimately paying full price for, I take it to VZW and tell them to port my current number to it, Sprint sends me a bill for my ETF. Alas, I think you're right. I might just tell the Apple Store to put it on a new number with VZW and then deal with them after I have the devices in hand registered with VZW. I'll call Sprint either way though. Honestly, I'm not interested in any incentives Sprint wants to give me. Their service here is terrible!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple should be able to give you a Verizon iPhone and during the setup as a new customer port your other sprint number over .. When this happens sprint is notified automatically and terminates that line and bills you the ETF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple should be able to give you a Verizon iPhone and during the setup as a new customer port your other sprint number over .. When this happens sprint is notified automatically and terminates that line and bills you the ETF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you're right! Murphy's Law tells me that it won't be so easy though.

Phoudthavy vilasone

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hopefully somebody can provide some clarity for me regarding apples new upgrade program. I am currently under contract with Sprint, but I'm wanting to switch to Verizon. I understand that Sprint will charge me an early termination fee for switching, and I'm okay with that. That being said, I am unclear if my current commitment to Sprint will be an issue when I go to pick up my 6s Plus on 9/25 considering I want to activate it on Verizon's network and have them port my current phone number over. I contacted Apple Support and the lady, although very nice, wasn't 100% sure but said she could read that anybody "without a commitment" can activate their phone on any network.

Have you heard or read anything that could clear things up for me? Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2