iPhone Upgrade Program iphones usable on all 4 network, or carrier specific?

Eight Ball

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I thought these phones might be sim free and carrier agnostic, but it looks to me like they are carrier specific models because you have to choose a carrier when ordering per the iPhone Upgrade Program.

So will they be optimized for the carrier you choose but still usable on all 4 networks? Or will there be one model across all 4 networks and not specifically tailored to any network. If so, then why do you have to choose carrier when ordering.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe they are unlocked and can be used on any carrier. I think they just want to tie it to a mobile account

Eight Ball

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
That makes sense, and I think eventually a sim free variant will be release in a month or two (like last year), but there are only 4 models listed under tech specs on the Apple website. 2 appear to be optimized for GSM networks and 2 for CDMA networks depending on whether your getting the 6s or the 6s Plus. The question that comes to my mind then, which model are you getting with the Upgrade Program.

bshimmy

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I unfortunately was not able to reserve my iPhone 6S Plus of choice with my carrier (AT&T). Considering that this is phone is unlocked, I went ahead and preordered it under Verizon carrier. If I pop in my AT&T sim into the Verizon iPhone 6S Plus will I come across any issues whatsoever?

Eight Ball

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I unfortunately was not able to reserve my iPhone 6S Plus of choice with my carrier (AT&T). Considering that this is phone is unlocked, I went ahead and preordered it under Verizon carrier. If I pop in my AT&T sim into the Verizon iPhone 6S Plus will I come across any issues whatsoever?

You might not have AT&T's new LTE Band 30 support.

This is just speculation, and I'm sure that I'm just reading what others are guessing themselves, but possibly the ATT unlocked upgrade program iPhone will be different from the other 3 in that the ATT model will have Band 30.