ALWAYS ON Siri...Anyone find out if that can be turned off?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That's his point. We don't want to have to keep switching it on or off. It would be desirable to configure what is impacted, and not impacted, by enabling orientation lock so we wouldn't have to keep toggling it in situations.

Ugh. We don't want to keep turning our iPhones from portrait to landscape just to watch a video. That is why there is a rotation lock.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here, switching from a Moto X 2014 to the 6S (first iPhone for me).

Why would you guys want to keep it off? I use the Moto Assist features every now and then, just call out to it (usually to check weather while I get ready in the morning or leave the house) - always on, listening for your keywords. I haven't experienced battery issues with such features, if that's the concern?
I don't have a need for it. I have no interest in it. And I don't want something running that I don't use. If I want to check the weather I either look outside, or go on my computer and check weather.com. I search on my own. I don't use voice anything.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm new here, switching from a Moto X 2014 to the 6S (first iPhone for me).

Why would you guys want to keep it off? I use the Moto Assist features every now and then, just call out to it (usually to check weather while I get ready in the morning or leave the house) - always on, listening for your keywords. I haven't experienced battery issues with such features, if that's the concern?

It's really just a matter of preference really...but I tend to agree with you in that if you don't use features like this and you have a desire to turn them off completely instead of trying them out at all to see how they work in your every day life, why even buy the device in the first place? The same kinds of threads popped up when Siri was first introduced, and then when the finger print scanner came out, and then when Apple Pay came out, and I'm sure there will be dozens more.

In the end, it really just comes down to personal preference and decisions on what you want to do with your own device, but at the end of the day, is it really worth the investment in these devices if you're not going to try and get the most use out of the spectrum of new features on them? I think having Siri in an "always on" state makes it INFINITELY more usable than before, and I intend on beating up Siri with requests like never before!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I like you, I don't use Siri at all... but somehow this feature seems pretty useful, specially for car accidents or emergencies.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's really just a matter of preference really...but I tend to agree with you in that if you don't use features like this and you have a desire to turn them off completely instead of trying them out at all to see how they work in your every day life, why even buy the device in the first place? The same kinds of threads popped up when Siri was first introduced, and then when the finger print scanner came out, and then when Apple Pay came out, and I'm sure there will be dozens more.

In the end, it really just comes down to personal preference and decisions on what you want to do with your own device, but at the end of the day, is it really worth the investment in these devices if you're not going to try and get the most use out of the spectrum of new features on them? I think having Siri in an "always on" state makes it INFINITELY more usable than before, and I intend on beating up Siri with requests like never before!
I use ApplePay, I use the fingerprint scanner, but I find Siri to be generally worthless. I can just as quickly look it up or do it myself and have it be added as I want it added. I also don't like things that run in the background, such as this. I use my phone plenty, but I don't leave stuff running when I am not actively using it.

I like you, I don't use Siri at all... but somehow this feature seems pretty useful, specially for car accidents or emergencies.

When my phone is in the car, I turn on BT. I can call 911 then and if my car detects an accident will automatically call 911. I know not everyone has that feature though.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't use Siri, Not a fan of that "app." Anyone like @Rene that played with the new phone know if there's any way I can turn that off in 9/on the 6s/6+S?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the always listening is only on the iPhone 6s and 6s+.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I'm looking at my 6 now and the setting clearly says when connected to power. So I imagine the 6s and 6s+ will have the same toggle.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I use ApplePay, I use the fingerprint scanner, but I find Siri to be generally worthless. I can just as quickly look it up or do it myself and have it be added as I want it added. I also don't like things that run in the background, such as this. I use my phone plenty, but I don't leave stuff running when I am not actively using it.

When my phone is in the car, I turn on BT. I can call 911 then and if my car detects an accident will automatically call 911. I know not everyone has that feature though.

I don't have a car with that feature but it would be nice to have... The Bluetooth is helpful but you are adding an extra step in order to call, I remember a few years ago a woman went missing , after about four days the police had her husband as a suspect, 6 days later she was found alive in a ditch off the highway, she couldn't move or reach her cellphone.... pretty scary stuff, not sure why but I always have these worse case scenario incidents in my mind, so I would not be turning off this feature anytime soon.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea those things do freak me out, which is why it was a requirement on my car to have something that called for help. I find it fascinating that these features often work where my phone won't get service, and sometimes don't where my phone will. Like, my dad's OnStar gets service literally everywhere, but his phone doesn't. My mom's Ford thing only works where her phone works.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Totally understand...like I said, just a personal preference really in the end. I'm personally excited about actually having a more useful smart phone assistant.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Before I got my watch I would plug in my 5s in the car after iOS 8 just to be able to use Hey Siri and with lots of practice I listened and send text effortlessly while driving as well as many other commands and now with iOS 9 Siri is expanded to enable a lot more hands free interactions

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I use hey Siri majority of the time on my watch and that's usually the only extent of my use with Siri hardly ever use on the phone just find it to be a pain.

The Lannisters send their regards.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Totally understand...like I said, just a personal preference really in the end. I'm personally excited about actually having a more useful smart phone assistant.

This, to me Siri currently is nice but I'm but not as useful as it will be. It will be nice if the phone is laying close by to be able to tell it to look up something or when I'm at work and have my gloves on.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I can understand folks wanting the ability to turn it off. I keep Siri silent now so if i accidentally activate it, you cannot hear the voice. But, as long as you don't go around saying "Hey Siri", shouldn't this be a non issue?

I shut the function where Siri is always listening when not plugged in to save battery. When Siri is always listening that sucks up battery. Only reason for me. When I want to use Siri I just manually activate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Never thought I would use it as I've never been Siri's biggest fan. However, after using Hey Siri while driving, I have no need to turn it off at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW