ALWAYS ON Siri...Anyone find out if that can be turned off?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Siri, Not a fan of that "app." Anyone like @Rene that played with the new phone know if there's any way I can turn that off in 9/on the 6s/6+S?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Not that I go around saying "Hey SiRi" on a regular basis, but it would be nice to disable that new SiRi function.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why it won't be a function you can turn off damm near anything

I used to think that too. But one thing that drives me nuts about the Plus is the rotating home screen and they still haven't allowed that to be turned off. Curious to see on this one.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I used to think that too. But one thing that drives me nuts about the Plus is the rotating home screen and they still haven't allowed that to be turned off. Curious to see on this one.

I keep my screen orientation locked almost 100% of the time. But the things I would do for Apple to let video rotate to landscape even with orientation locked.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Wow, that right. I forgot about that because I keep my 6 Plus in Zoomed Effect and the home screen doesn't rotate with that activated. There should be an on/off function for Standard Effects as well.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that right. I forgot about that because I keep my 6 Plus in Zoomed Effect and the home screen doesn't rotate with that activated. There should be an on/off function for Standard Effects as well.

Wait, it doesn't rotate in zoom? I did NOT know that! I would have gladly left zoom on!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Wait, it doesn't rotate in zoom? I did NOT know that! I would have gladly left zoom on!

Correct. I would like mail to rotate zoomed and safari but not the home screen. Safari does rotate in 6+ zoomed. The others do not. Clarification: mail rotates but doesn't provide split view.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually excited to use the "Hey Siri" function without it being plugged in...I doubt it will be a mind blowing feature, but it will be nice in the car.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually excited to use the "Hey Siri" function without it being plugged in...I doubt it will be a mind blowing feature, but it will be nice in the car.

Me too. Depending on how well it works, if I can answer a call or change a song while in the pool, in the car, while hands are dirty or wet......I could see it being convenient.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I try not to use my phone in the car, other than thru BT to call someone or answer a call. But otherwise I don't want it somewhere I can be distracted.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Since there already is a "Hey Siri" option I bet you will be able to turn it off with new version on S as well.

Yet to be seen if there will be a separate option to have Hey Siri on charger setting vs off charger.

I would think those that don't want Hey Siri don't want it in both cases.

1bf1be60e7dd8db135dd520628eec1a2.jpg

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I can understand folks wanting the ability to turn it off. I keep Siri silent now so if i accidentally activate it, you cannot hear the voice. But, as long as you don't go around saying "Hey Siri", shouldn't this be a non issue?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can understand folks wanting the ability to turn it off. I keep Siri silent now so if i accidentally activate it, you cannot hear the voice. But, as long as you don't go around saying "Hey Siri", shouldn't this be a non issue?

Great photo on your avatar.

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
In iOS 9 GM it's possible to turn Siri completely OFF. I've been playing with the GM all day and I disactivate Siri completely so YES

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
All you got to do is turn off the screen orientation and your good info it on my plus

That's his point. We don't want to have to keep switching it on or off. It would be desirable to configure what is impacted, and not impacted, by enabling orientation lock so we wouldn't have to keep toggling it in situations.

metalheader

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm new here, switching from a Moto X 2014 to the 6S (first iPhone for me).

Why would you guys want to keep it off? I use the Moto Assist features every now and then, just call out to it (usually to check weather while I get ready in the morning or leave the house) - always on, listening for your keywords. I haven't experienced battery issues with such features, if that's the concern?

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd be using it for sure. Always listening is great on my Moto X with Moto Voice, I'd never turn it off :)