Anyone hear if you can turn off 3D Touch?

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if a journalist who was at the event poked into settings to see if you could turn it off?

I would personally love it but it's going to cause my parents nothing but headaches. I'm trying to stop the infinite string of questions before they start.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it's going to be so invasive that a person who chose not to use it would have constant problems with the device while trying to simply touch the screen for normal function...I think Apple, while developing this, probably had a clear thought that many people will simply use this device as they have always used their iPhone, so it would make sense they would refrain from making the 3D Touch function unavoidable in that regard.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
From the demonstration it appears that the 3D touch only works when more pressure is applied to the screen and it works normal without applied pressure. Apple didn't say if you could turn it off. I'm just curious if a glass screen protector will effect the 3D touch.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
From the demonstration it appears that the 3D touch only works when more pressure is applied to the screen and it works normal without applied pressure. Apple didn't say if you could turn it off. I'm just curious if a glass screen protector will effect the 3D touch.

THAT is an excellent question, and one I didn't even think of until you brought it up. One would hope, given the popularity of screen protectors, that Apple would have taken that into consideration...but given that Apple, themselves, do not produce a screen protector or even endorse one, it'll be interesting to see how it does effect it if at all.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
THAT is an excellent question, and one I didn't even think of until you brought it up. One would hope, given the popularity of screen protectors, that Apple would have taken that into consideration...but given that Apple, themselves, do not produce a screen protector or even endorse one, it'll be interesting to see how it does effect it if at all.

I'm really curious. In the keynote Apple stated that the 6s/6s Plus also has the hardest screen ever produced for any previous iPhone. I'm thinking that we might no longer need screen protectors especially with 3D Touch because it will probably interfere with its capabilities.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really curious. In the keynote Apple stated that the 6s/6s Plus also has the hardest screen ever produced for any previous iPhone. I'm thinking that we might no longer need screen protectors especially with 3D Touch because it will probably interfere with its capabilities.

Unfortunately I don't think they will be able to make a glass screen scratch resistant without making a big to-do about it. They did mention it being very strong in the keynote, but my guess is that it will still scratch with random objects in your pocket with the phone itself (unprotected). That drives me nuts too...I've done well by having a protector on this 6 Plus the entire time I've owned it, but in the past, keys and what not have made little scratches on my previous iPhones...and while nothing serious, it'd still be kind of an awful idea on Apple's part if they made such a feature rich SCREEN that couldn't be protected from such things because of the feature itself.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't think they will be able to make a glass screen scratch resistant without making a big to-do about it. They did mention it being very strong in the keynote, but my guess is that it will still scratch with random objects in your pocket with the phone itself (unprotected). That drives me nuts too...I've done well by having a protector on this 6 Plus the entire time I've owned it, but in the past, keys and what not have made little scratches on my previous iPhones...and while nothing serious, it'd still be kind of an awful idea on Apple's part if they made such a feature rich SCREEN that couldn't be protected from such things because of the feature itself.

I agree, I'm OCD about microscopic scratches on my screen and that's why I also use a Zagg Invisible Shield Glass protection. This will be interesting to see if 3D Touch screen allows for the use of screen protectors without interference.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I doubt it's going to be so invasive that a person who chose not to use it would have constant problems with the device while trying to simply touch the screen for normal function..

You, sir, have obviously never seen my dad use his smartphone. The pressure he applies to the screen when tapping somewhere is so high I'm scared his finger might rip through the front glass, split the internals in half and come poking out the rear with enough strenght left to kill a fly mid-flight if it happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seriously, I've tried talking to him about how he treats his phone but he's simply used to it and doesn't see the need to change. After all it has worked in the past this way so why bother?

I know for sure he would be the first one to return an iPhone 6s/6s Plus claiming it's broken because weird things happen when he lightly touches the screen.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You, sir, have obviously never seen my dad use his smartphone. The pressure he applies to the screen when simply tapping somewhere is so high I'm scared his finger might rip through the front glass, split the internals in half and come poking out the rear with enough strenght left to kill a fly mid-flight if it happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seriously, I've tried talking to him about how he treats his phone but he's simply used to it and doesn't see the need to change. After all it has worked in the past this way so why bother?

I know for sure he would be the first one to return an iPhone 6s/6s Plus claiming it's broken because weird things happen when he lightly touches the screen.

I know exactly what you're talking about. An older friend of my dad's always asks me questions about his iPad mini. As I'm showing him how to do something the guy starts pushing down on something like it's a physical button instead of simply tapping. I told him 100 times, if not thousands, "you don't need to push down on the screen. Just tap. It'll respond. Don't.l worry."

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You, sir, have obviously never seen my dad use his smartphone. The pressure he applies to the screen when simply tapping somewhere is so high I'm scared his finger might rip through the front glass, split the internals in half and come poking out the rear with enough strenght left to kill a fly mid-flight if it happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seriously, I've tried talking to him about how he treats his phone but he's simply used to it and doesn't see the need to change. After all it has worked in the past this way so why bother?

After further thought on the subject, I'd almost guarantee the same response from my dad as well...lol. Touche.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you're talking about. An older friend of my dad's always asks me questions about his iPad mini. As I'm showing him how to do something the guy starts pushing down on something like it's a physical button instead of simply tapping. I told him 100 times, if not thousands, "you don't need to push down on the screen. Just tap. It'll respond. Don't.l worry."

Sometimes we old folks just don't understand this newfangled technology stuff

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

You will if it's regular glass if your the type to use one. The hardness scale trumps selling points. I think they mean hardest as in less likely to shatter into a million peices if it does break more then scratch proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know if a journalist who was at the event poked into settings to see if you could turn it off?

I would personally love it but it's going to cause my parents nothing but headaches. I'm trying to stop the infinite string of questions before they start.

If it works the same way as it does on Android it really isn't anything special if you don't want to use it at all ever. A hold press of a second or two does A and a normal press does B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj0

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I've always wondered what the hell was going on there. I'm scared s**tless every time I hand him my phone. I swear to god one day he's going to end up at the ER with half a smartphone wrapped around his right index finger. It might have something to do with physical buttons but then again I'm also old enough to remember those and I don't torture my smartphone the way he does. Dunno.

On the other hand: he's on his third smartphone now (HTC Desire C, Nexus 4, and now iPhone 4s) and has yet to break one in half. Maybe we're all doing it wrong and these things are meant to be micro-punched.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro