Is the frame rate for iPhone 6s 4k video in 30fps or 60fps?
    09-10-2015 01:16 AM
    I believe it is 30fps for 4k video recording.
    09-10-2015 01:17 AM
    Yeah only 30fps 4k frame rate on iPhone 6s-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1441866884.723232.jpg
    09-10-2015 02:34 AM
    I said this before when it was discussed about 4K video recording on Android devices...I don't understand why this was such a focus from Apple (or any smart phone company)...4K tv's are not a standard, they're not even common when comparing homes with 4K tv's vs. your standard HD flat panel TV's. People record these enormous 4K videos and then have to have them degraded to work with their equipment, which when you see a comparison of a raw 1080p video file and a converted 4K source to 1080p, there's literally ZERO noticeable quality difference.

To me, this 4K movement is like the 3D TV movement of years past. Marketing gimmicks. I don't mind that it is included in my new device, but I sure wish the focus was put else where, especially when this will be irrelevant in a few years anyways.

Touching on the 30fps aspect...I doubt most consumers would notice the difference between 30fps and 60fps when recording normal events. I have a GoPro that can do 1080p and both 30 and 60 fps, and accidentally set it to 30fps on a recent white water rafting trip, then to 60fps on the kayak portion of the trip. The videos were essentially identical upon viewing...I only noticed after messing with the videos in post.
    09-10-2015 10:15 AM
    Unless people have a 4k or better monitor (pc or retina imac), how will most ever view these videos in 4k? Lightning connector from iphone straight to tv is only 1080p even if you have a 4k tv. Even the new ipad pro will still only play in 1080p.

Burn blu rays? Most won't do that. And 4k blu ray players/recorders aren't exactly plentiful.
    09-10-2015 01:34 PM
    Unless people have a 4k or better monitor (pc or retina imac), how will most ever view these videos in 4k? Lightning connector from iphone straight to tv is only 1080p even if you have a 4k tv. Even the new ipad pro will still only play in 1080p.

Burn blu rays? Most won't do that. And 4k blu ray players/recorders aren't exactly plentiful.
    Raw transfer to computer then stream playback to 4K monitor or TV.

To more clearly answer your question though, people won't...most (meaning damn near 100%) of people will view a downscaled 1080p file, and they'll say "Wow! This quality is amazing! What a great camera!", when in reality, they're viewing the same quality video they could get with the last model too.
    09-10-2015 03:59 PM
    I still don't even care about the minimal difference between 720 and 1080.
    09-10-2015 04:15 PM
    I still don't even care about the minimal difference between 720 and 1080.
    Which says a lot, because the difference between those two, especially on a properly setup TV, is FAR more noticeable than these 4K videos.
    09-10-2015 04:37 PM
    for me this just seems like a way to make videos much larger than they need to be and taking up too much hard drive space and too long to upload. I'm glad to see based on the image posted above that we have the option to change the settings. most of the time I prefer 720p at 30 fps. it's faster to upload, takes up less space on my hard drive and for most things it's all I need.

4k seems like overkill to me.
    09-11-2015 04:58 AM
    30 difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is extremely noticeable.
    09-29-2015 07:09 PM
    Y'all must understand 4K is not for most people and is not even in by default for a reason. There's a lot of movie makers using iPhones to make movies and documentaries so apple is giving them another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-29-2015 07:42 PM
    Y'all must understand 4K is not for most people and is not even in by default for a reason. There's a lot of movie makers using iPhones to make movies and documentaries so apple is giving them another option.

True, that more professionals are using iPhones to shoot video. Filmic Pro's app allows me to shoot 3K on my iPhone 5S and 4K on the 6 or 6S.
    10-04-2015 09:46 PM

Options are fine...and I agree, it does give a very small piece of the consumer base a higher resolution option to film videos for whatever reason (personal or private). I get that, and like I said before, I appreciate that the option is there...but there are other things that could be developed that would effectively give a larger % of owners a more enjoyable experience than adding such a niche feature to it...for instance, why don't we have a more feature rich shooting option set on screen? Most people don't even realize you can manually control the light level in the native camera app.

Apple pretty much destroyed the point and shoot market single handedly with the great still picture camera they've provided in recent years. Why not go after the DSLR market now? A market where camera options have serious depth, and there are a lot of digital adjustments that can be done that don't involve more hardware.

I guess I just can't see the logic in Apple's decision to include 4K video vs. making the camera itself a more feature rich function for more people.

True, that more professionals are using iPhones to shoot video. Filmic Pro's app allows me to shoot 3K on my iPhone 5S and 4K on the 6 or 6S.
    So in this regard, you should understand just how little this new function actually means to 95% of the end users...for instance, they have these apps that allow for 2K and 3K filming, neither of which are considered master resolutions, and are really only relevant to people who do any kind of post production editing...4K, for most consumers, would only be relevant in the fact that when downscaled, retains more sharpness and detail than a standard raw 1080p file...if they notice that at all.

Historically, Apple hasn't really been all that interested in niche feature sets...why now? Why this? Especially with a camera that, while fantastic in regards to quality of end product, is still quite shallow in terms of actual on board features.

30 difference between 30 fps and 60 fps is extremely noticeable.
    Depending on the situation (which is by far MOST situations), it's really not.
    moaningmyrtle likes this.
    10-04-2015 11:50 PM