Apple payment plan

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
As soon as I watched the announcement I called apple to see about their retail pay per month iPhone option. The biggest takeaway I've seen is that the price is slightly higher than you'd pay at your carrier. But you also get apple care for that price so maybe it's worth it? Personally I've never needed Apple care for my iPhone.

What do you guys think? Worth buying at the app,e store or will you order via your carrier?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
As soon as I watched the announcement I called apple to see about their retail pay per month iPhone option. The biggest takeaway I've seen is that the price is slightly higher than you'd pay at your carrier. But you also get apple care for that price so maybe it's worth it? Personally I've never needed Apple care for my iPhone.

What do you guys think? Worth buying at the app,e store or will you order via your carrier?

I think it's a massive ripoff. You basically pay $32/month forever to have a new 16gb iPhone 6S. The cost for the 6S Plus would be more, as would storage sizes above 16GB. And you never really own anything.

I'm going to pass and just buy my phone outright...

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I got kind of sold with AppleCare + being included is it really not worth it? If you have a good case right away then probably wouldn't have to worry about it but I did not and had my naked 6+ in my hand was walking my dog and she pulled me when I wasn't paying attention and it slipped out my hand that sucked... ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1441862523.069455.jpg

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you could pay more and pay it off. Apple isn't gonna turn down your money. I prolly jinxed myself saying I never use Apple care. Ha. I'm wondering if there's a down payment or you have to pay taxes? The associate on the phone wasn't very sure. Understandable since it just came out today.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It is interesting but also financed from a personal loan company I think I'll stick with my carrier .. Don't understand why Apple does not do in house financing they have the Capitol and could make more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't understand why Apple does not do in house financing they have the Capitol and could make more money
I'm sure they've figured out the consequences of their actions...there's likely a huge tax advantage to Apple for doing it the way they are...

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure they've figured out the consequences of their actions...there's likely a huge tax advantage to Apple for doing it the way they are...

I'm not really sure if there is a tax advantage but if you think about it, it is pretty smart. I'm sure Apple gets a cut from the lender. It might be smaller than doing it themselves but they take on none of the risk and get more people to buy within their stores which turn into more sales of other items.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It is interesting but also financed from a personal loan company I think I'll stick with my carrier .. Don't understand why Apple does not do in house financing they have the Capitol and could make more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, because that carrier is looking out for you too.

My recommendation to any that care is to stay away from the payment plans. Get a credit card like discover that I believe is offering 10% off purchases made with apple pay through the end of year. New card holders get double the first year making this possibly over 20% off. 22% Cashback with Discover and Apple Pay (23% with DIM, 30% at Department Stores) - Doctor Of Credit

Discover today announced that on September 16, cardmembers will be able to add their Discover cards to Apple Pay, the easy, secure and private way to make contactless payments in participating stores. Discover is rewarding cardmembers in the U.S. who use their Discover cards through Apple Pay with a 10% Cashback Bonus?.

From September 16, to the end of the year, cardmembers who pay with their Discover card using Apple Pay will automatically earn an extra 10% Cashback Bonus on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases. Discover it Miles, Miles and Escape cardmembers will earn an extra 10 miles per dollar on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases.

Killer deal. No annual fee. 0 interest first year.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This is correct. Just got off the phone with apple. it's essentially a credit card. I'll deal with my carrier if that's the case. I just figured buying via apple would be faster and better organized (i dealt with tmobile last year. ugh)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll order from Apple as well, but will use my Verizon 2 year contract plan one last time. I figure everyone will be forced to EDGE by my next upgrade.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I am not going to do this, I don't like the "leasing" options.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a very expensive way to just get a new iPhone every year. There will be people who like this idea but it isn't tied into a carrier. Perhaps people who travel or switch carriers frequently?

At any rate, it's not going to be beneficial to me as there may be times I'd want to keep the phone (I desired to keep my 5c forever).

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not really sure if there is a tax advantage but if you think about it, it is pretty smart. I'm sure Apple gets a cut from the lender. It might be smaller than doing it themselves but they take on none of the risk and get more people to buy within their stores which turn into more sales of other items.

They also don't have to do credit checks or any of that stuff using a 3rd party. That's why they always used Barclays for Macs I'd assume. Less risk and they won't have to hire creditors to go after those that don't pay.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think it's a massive ripoff. You basically pay $32/month forever to have a new 16gb iPhone 6S. The cost for the 6S Plus would be more, as would storage sizes above 16GB. And you never really own anything.

I'm going to pass and just buy my phone outright...

I'm pretty sure I read after 24 months it's yours if you decide not to upgrade. If you average it out I think it works out to the same price since Apple Care+ just got more expensive.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I read after 24 months it's yours if you decide not to upgrade. If you average it out I think it works out to the same price since Apple Care+ just got more expensive.

True... There's a huge "IF" (IF you pay it off and keep it) ... and Cook was extolling the virtue of "always having the latest iPhone"... so there's no ownership because you only pay 12 payments before you upgrade.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
True... There's a huge "IF" (IF you pay it off and keep it) ... and Cook was extolling the virtue of "always having the latest iPhone"... so there's no ownership because you only pay 12 payments before you upgrade.

I guess it boils down to that whole lease vs buy a car. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner