How much RAM?

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't they say in the tech rundown if it had 2gb Rams? It's not like they had a lot of new stuff to announce.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well no I don't really want to know that badly. Would you have the same suggestion for anyone asking a question? There was me thinking this was a forum, silly me!

It was nothing personal against you. I think a lot of veteran members, myself included, have become a bit peeved after a few other identical threads where this was asked and answered ad nauseam.

Apple has never disclosed RAM. Ever. Tear downs of the phones eventually lead to the answers. Apple clearly has their reasons. My guess is that they don't focus on the number. For years their 1GB of ram has held its own vs the competition. So they leave mentioning it alone.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. It's the functionality of the phone that is important. Why does the amount of RAM matter assuming performance is satisfactory?
Even for the CPU and GPU they never announce exact metrics like clock speed, cache size, width of there memory bus, etc. they simply announce how much faster it is than last year's version.

Because people get caught up in all the specs.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Because people get caught up in all the specs.
It's a marketing thing... other companies have conditioned people to believe that bigger, better specs equals a better device... crappy code on 2GB RAM is going to suck compared to well written, tight code on 1GB RAM... smart people know this.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think some of us, like myself, who use many devices across all OS's, tend to find that 1GB doesn't always suffice.

On my Note 3 for example: I can keep a page on my browser for days. I can keep an app suspended for a book/manga I'm reading. It does not reload while I am actively using it and rarely even does so as it sits in the background.

However, on my Lumia 640, it reloads just as frequently. It also has 1GB RAM. So the RAM issue is not just based on the OS, it's a limitation across the board.

The reloads, app crashes, those are tell tale signs of the system demanding slightly more memory and not having enough to allocate. While I'm sure for most people, 1GB is sufficient. However, there will be people like me who just do not agree based on their experiences from outside the Apple world.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well no I don't really want to know that badly. Would you have the same suggestion for anyone asking a question? There was me thinking this was a forum, silly me!

I guess we could make something up to satisfy your curiosity... if we don't know all we can say is that we don't know. The background is that Apple doesn't tell us. So either we wait for a teardown or we ask the head of Apple. It's not rocket science, and sorry if my response got your panties in a wad.

Perhaps before asking a question, one could use the search function to see if the question has already been asked.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
We must be using a completely different set of apps though because I don't have these crashes you speak of. So that actually leads me to believe that those apps may have been poorly coded/optimized by the developers and that your crashes have little to nothing to do with RAM.

I use a wide multitude. Mostly the reloading in safari that drives me nuts. Then I've got reloads in my manga app. Facebook is the one that crashes the most. It's definitely a RAM eating application and even spikes on the Android version too. Yes, I've done restore from new. These occurrences happen in both iOS 8 and beta 9, so it's not the OS.

Not everyone's experiences would be the same, I'm sure of that. Which is why I'm now even more curious about where they are headed with RAM.

Honestly, after hearing what an Apple store employee told me, I'd be more inclined to think the 6s+ will get the 2GB, but the 6 might not.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Safari I have no answer for you. I rarely use it. That's what apps are for and when I do use Safari, I haven't noticed excessive tab reloading.
Anyway in other apps the issue of reloading could still easily be poor coding on the app developers part. Would 2GB RAM help that? Sure, but it doesn't actually resolve the underlying issue, just papers over it.

True but if it's making those applications more stable, even as it drains all resources, it's a benefit to me. Not everyone's experiences the same and we all use our devices differently right? YMMV.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Sure as excrement when it comes out what is actually there for RAM - if it is indeed 2GB, there's going to be a whine about it not being more...

You bet. Already seeing it in the comment sections. The good ol "welcome to 2012" from the myriad who are blinded by the spec driven propaganda out there. This time of year is both the most exciting, and most trying of times in the forums lol.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Sure as excrement when it comes out what is actually there for RAM - if it is indeed 2GB, there's going to be a whine about it not being more...

I think 2GB is very sufficient. On my Z10, it has 2GB of RAM. It functions great. I think it's just enough to slow those reloads and possibly prevent a few crashes for me. I'm hoping this is legitimate.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen