A strange lack of differentiation between 6S and 6S+...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So are we to assume the two phones are identical now? No mention of battery life, no mention of functionality differences, no mention of feature set differences...which is a stark difference from last year's keynote.

Are the two devices the same now?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Great question but I took it as, if we did not specifically address it then it did not change from how it was the past year.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Battery and OIS for Plus. Screen res too. Don't know about RAM yet.

But the 6S should still be faster, better contrast.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Sadly I was hoping the smaller phone would get OIS and 1080p though I never expected it.

Conversely I'm surprised that after a year they seemingly did nothing to differentiate and expand upon the Plus being a phablet (split screen, pop up video, better advantage of screen real estate, etc)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Sadly I was hoping the smaller phone would get OIS and 1080p though I never expected it.

Conversely I'm surprised that after a year they seemingly did nothing to differentiate and expand upon the Plus being a phablet (split screen, pop up video, better advantage of screen real estate, etc)

You and me both. I'd really have to pass on the Plus until it's redesigned. It's still 1080p which means rescaling from its native res. Just didn't see anything to really lure me to that this time knowing how I don't care that much for the form factor.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I too was let down by the fact that Apple isn't treating the 6S Plus like a true phablet. I use the split screen mode on my Note 5 constantly, so it'd be nice to have that on my iPhone too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling it was just a matter of not mentioning the stuff because none of it was "new" (and they covered a lot of products in this keynote)...but you know, it's still a bit odd, because your normal consumer would see this and assume the iPhone 6S has the exact same specs as the iPhone 6S Plus. Not to say Apple was/is being misleading, but they need to make sure people know the differences since they weren't really addressed in any of the keynote directives or on the preview videos on their website.

YorkieRay

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking through the specs it seems that the only differences between the 2 phones are the obvious differences with the screen and battery. Everything else, including the cameras, appears to be the same.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Looking through the specs it seems that the only differences between the 2 phones are the obvious differences with the screen and battery. Everything else, including the cameras, appears to be the same.

OIS is still exclusive to the iPhone 6S Plus from what I can see on the stat sheet.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

No OIS on the smaller iPhone. I just went to apple's comparison page and saw the same exact battery differences between the two models like last year's model.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
They probably could have gone into that more, but then they would need to provide hotel rooms for the forever keynote :)

Next time Apple, less demos and more meat please :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They've done it well in the past with a kind of overview of the same feature sets that would be carried over on the "S" model...so I'm quite surprised they didn't just shove it in there right before they brought on the musical guest...they have to know by now that 90% of the online viewers move on after the hardware presentation is over.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Whenever the time comes that I upgrade, I might actually just go with the 6S instead of the Plus this time. I haven't really made any good use with OIS and a smaller form factor might suit me well.

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Whenever the time comes that I upgrade, I might actually just go with the 6S instead of the Plus this time. I haven't really made any good use with OIS and a smaller form factor might suit me well.

I feel ya. I always followed the specs til the 6/6 Plus. But I didn't notice OIS or the screen resolution and I'm good on battery life so form factor it is. But the Plus is always a little tempting 😉

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I was seriously hoping for split screen on the plus. Still excited about the new phones though.

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm heading for the Plus only because of my eyes. The extra real estate will help me see stuff.

I know what you mean. I used to think giant phones were ridiculous, but given the amount of text I now read on my phone, I really need a big screen to feel comfortable. It makes me feel old.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice