Smaller battery?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it does. Unless you're willing to explain to me how the same phone is supposed to perform better with a smaller battery. The performance is decreased. All they did, was negate almost all of the gains in battery efficiency by putting a smaller battery into the device, telling you the battery life should be "the same" and moving on..

This thread and one other has members expressing concerns that a smaller capacity battery automatically means the new phones will offer less usage times than predecessors. This premise ignores the offsetting efficiencies. Does reduced capacity on its own mean decreased performance? Sure. But overall the fact that the capacity decreased doesn't automatically equate to a worse performance on a whole. That's all I was saying.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I kind of figured it was a general understanding that technology is putting better components in smaller packages these days...it's kind of the entire logic and approach behind the iPhone in the first place. Battery technology progresses year by year, so I'm not sure why it's a foreign idea that a smaller battery could, in fact, perform the same or better than a larger battery from a previous season.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I kind of figured it was a general understanding that technology is putting better components in smaller packages these days...it's kind of the entire logic and approach behind the iPhone in the first place. Battery technology progresses year by year, so I'm not sure why it's a foreign idea that a smaller battery could, in fact, perform the same or better than a larger battery from a previous season.

If that is the case, then why not leave the same mAh battery that was in the 6, and get longer battery life? People are looking for better battery life, not the same.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, in their defense, the phone would have been thicker than its predecessor and that's what they wanted to avoid.

And frankly, if the 6s has in reality the same battery life as the 6, then customers have nothing to complain about.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If that is the case, then why not leave the same mAh battery that was in the 6, and get longer battery life? People are looking for better battery life, not the same.

Smaller battery size, same battery life (with more features in the device mind you)...and more room for extra hardware features (including that spiffy new haptic feedback "bar" that works in conjunction with the 3D Touch screen). I'm not going to pretend to have an opinion that represents the entirety of the consumer base (as that just sounds ridiculous to me)...but I think people ACTUALLY want the most feature rich phone with satisfying battery life. Regardless of what forum users clamor over, Apple has done that each and every year.

radeon962

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, in their defense, the phone would have been thicker than its predecessor and that's what they wanted to avoid.

And frankly, if the 6s has in reality the same battery life as the 6, then customers have nothing to complain about.

Each iteration should improve on the previous version. If you look at most any smartphone poll, battery life is typically the #1 item. To make the battery smaller and rely on "optimization" to remain status quo is a sellout.

I went with the 6 Plus just for the battery life but others in my family prefer the 6 for the size but were looking for improved battery life not the same with the 6s.

We will be passing on the 6s and waiting to see if the 7 brings improved battery life.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Smaller battery size, same battery life (with more features in the device mind you)...and more room for extra hardware features (including that spiffy new haptic feedback "bar" that works in conjunction with the 3D Touch screen). I'm not going to pretend to have an opinion that represents the entirety of the consumer base (as that just sounds ridiculous to me)...but I think people ACTUALLY want the most feature rich phone with satisfying battery life. Regardless of what forum users clamor over, Apple has done that each and every year.

Agree totally. And with the plethora of power outlets in the world, are you really more than a few minutes away from recharging IF it's necessary? Despite all the features added to the iPhone 6/6 Plus, I cannot remember the last time I had to recharge during the day... but I have a charger and a power outlet should the need arise.

I don't expect anything less with the iPhone 6S/6S Plus.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Each iteration should improve on the previous version. If you look at most any smartphone poll, battery life is typically the #1 item. To make the battery smaller and rely on "optimization" to remain status quo is a sellout.

I went with the 6 Plus just for the battery life but others in my family prefer the 6 for the size but were looking for improved battery life not the same with the 6s.

We will be passing on the 6s and waiting to see if the 7 brings improved battery life.

Any design process includes trade-offs. Added features and comparable battery life is a good compromise to me. Making the phone substantially thicker to get a few more hours of battery life is not.

radeon962

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Any design process includes trade-offs. Added features and comparable battery life is a good compromise to me. Making the phone substantially thicker to get a few more hours of battery life is not.

When you have a house full of teenagers using a phone on the go battery life is a big issue. Making the phone thicker for increased battery life would be much appreciated. The 5s did not get complaints that it was too thick. With the rounded edges incorporated into the 6 design this extra thickness would be mitigated.

We have 8 phones on a Family Share Plan and battery life for my 4 girls is their #1 complaint. The wife and I are using the 6 Plus so battery life is fine but we don't hammer the phone like a teenager does.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
When you have a house full of teenagers using a phone on the go battery life is a big issue. Making the phone thicker for increased battery life would be much appreciated. The 5s did not get complaints that it was too thick. With the rounded edges incorporated into the 6 design this extra thickness would be mitigated.

We have 8 phones on a Family Share Plan and battery life for my 4 girls is their #1 complaint. The wife and I are using the 6 Plus so battery life is fine but we don't hammer the phone like a teenager does.

That's another problem within itself, though. Even if they had a 6 Plus they'd get "bad" battery life because of how much they use the phone. It's a "you problem".

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I hear you, but there's no battery design in the world that can stand up to teenagers pounding away at their phones non-stop. I know. I have a bunch of grandkids who have iPhones and iPods and when they are over, I break out the Anker desktop charger (10 port) and the lightning/30 pin cables...

Not sure that's a valid concern with regard to iPhone battery life.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's a last resort to keep your phone up for emergencies and other important stuff. It doesn't have to be the go-to for a daily use

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice