Will "Bendgate" Still Be An Issue?

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
You continue to put words in my mouth that I never said...your argument is so weak that it is the only way you can draw attention to your posts. I never once said (and have never said) that Apple can "do no wrong"...in fact, quite the contrary...I've pointed out numerous times things that Apple has done that, at least to me, were less than par, and worse. You ignore this because right now, you're trying to paint me in the light of a total Apple apologist because it's the only way your posts hold clout. In other words, you've got no basis for your argument without spewing BS.

And then there's the comment about my contention that anything mentioning the 6 and 6+ bending are false. Again...more of your signature hogwash here in this thread. I never contended anything of the sort...what I said specifically was that anything regarding BENDGATE (you know, the term so eloquently applied to this whole ordeal) was overblown, and that there was no serious or widespread bending issue, there was a small group of people who encountered bent iPhones, most of which were caused by their own doing...the others were fluke issues with a minuscule % of devices...so small that Apple never officially addressed it.

Want to see what it looks like when Apple sees a moderate amount of issues with one of their devices? Here you go...

Apple will fix iPhone 6 Plus phones that take blurry photos - Aug. 23, 2015

...go figure, an official statement from Apple and a process of rectification.

Regarding that Youtuber...the guy you keep praising...you can buy into his videos all you want, we've had discussion after discussion after discussion about him and his "reviews" here on this site, and the consensus seems to agree with me (not that I needed it to to hold my opinion, but just to point it out to you).

And how did my opinions derail this discussion? Are we not still discussing the iPhone bending issue? That was the core of the post...are you having a comprehension problem as well?

You are the most off topic - you parse words, you call names, you speak in absolutes - and clearly feel you are the police of anything you perceive as anti apple.

Please ignore my posts and I will ignore yours. Otherwise everyone suffers.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You are the most off topic - you parse words, you call names, you speak in absolutes - and clearly feel you are the police of anything you perceive as anti apple.

Please ignore my posts and I will ignore yours. Otherwise everyone suffers.

stop.gif

You simply can't keep up...it's ok to throw in the towel (which is what you're essentially doing), but don't try and blame it on non-sensical reasonings. Nobody called you a name, my posts were totally on topic and I don't parse words, I simply reflect their actual meaning when they are being misused (like you did, several times). I'm not policing...I'm having a debate...one that is apparently too hot for you to handle.

If you want to continue to make this personal, don't let the door hit ya as you exit. If you want to continue discussing this like an adult and attempt to have some dialogue here, by all means. So far what you've brought to the table is "I don't agree..." and then a bunch of made up "quotes" which you still haven't addressed.

I'll be here.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Bendgate was absolutely ridiculous. The fact that it was even news still baffles me. Every product has an acceptable rate of failure, there is no 100% perfect. Even though i don't have numbers, I'd suspect the iPhone met the acceptable rate and probably even exceeded it. Apple reinforcing the new iPhone is to protect themselves from this garbage come next month's release. Although I'm sure someone will bend it under immense pressure and we'll go through this again.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will "Bendgate" Still Be An Issue?

Bendgate was absolutely ridiculous. The fact that it was even news still baffles me. Every product has an acceptable rate of failure, there is no 100% perfect. Even though i don't have numbers, I'd suspect the iPhone met the acceptable rate and probably even exceeded it. Apple reinforcing the new iPhone is to protect themselves from this garbage come next month's release. Although I'm sure someone will bend it under immense pressure and we'll go through this again.

Careful, you'll be labeled an Apple apologist.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately some have bent it with less then obvious abuse. The 'gate' scandal is/was overblown.

More people own iPhones and use them throughout an active. Most other phones are not long and very thin aluminum. So Apple is first with this form factor and is the first (and best) to deal with it. I did a ton of reading about the materials used after finding this thread. It is pretty universal opinion that if they want to be thin they are better not using the much cheaper 6000. I understand the frustration with the 'gate' stuff but just because your phone didn't bend doesn't mean others haven't. From the reading I have done on this, and Apple's reported actions support that there really is a big enough issue to have to deal with it. It may not affect everyone but it affected enough.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I understand the frustration with the 'gate' stuff but just because your phone didn't bend doesn't mean others haven't.

Just because you read about people bending their iPhone doesn't mean it affected a significant amount of people.

From the reading I have done on this, and Apple's reported actions support that there really is a big enough issue to have to deal with it. It may not affect everyone but it affected enough.

If you really read as much as you're clamoring on about here, you'd have read where Apple has changed aluminum grade between their device phases for years. I never cared about any of this until I started participating in this thread...and I found that information without much effort at all. Interesting that you'd assign such a change to something so controversial when Apple has done this kind of change for years with no relevant controversy related to it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And if you really dig deep, you'll find plenty of all platforms and brands of phones which have bent. But I don't see any others strengthening theirs. Only Apple.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
All the other phones I've owned were mostly plastic and rubber. They held up over time in a very wide spectrum of very good to very bad. None bent.

The bigger new screen sizes, ultra-thinness and massive adoption are all new - Apple is in a lot of ways paving the way all of those things considered.

There are other metal, thin, large phones but none have the massive audience. So if they do bend it's a non-story.

Apple will figure it out. Glad they don't agree with any of you or they probably wouldn't change to stronger.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple will figure it out. Glad they don't agree with any of you or they probably wouldn't change to stronger.

L24cy.gif

Don't agree with any of us...lol. "Us" meaning the people pointing out that "bendgate" was an overblown blog circle jerk, and that the issue was relevant to a very tiny % of the total amount of consumers who bought the iPhone 6/6+...? I'd say agreeing with us is exactly what Apple did...because they certainly didn't respond to it with any official statement, like they have EVERY time something affected even a moderate amount of customers with the device.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/L24cy.gif

Don't agree with any of us...lol. "Us" meaning the people pointing out that "bendgate" was an overblown blog circle jerk, and that the issue was relevant to a very tiny % of the total amount of consumers who bought the iPhone 6/6+...? I'd say agreeing with us is exactly what Apple did...because they certainly didn't respond to it with any official statement, like they have EVERY time something affected even a moderate amount of customers with the device.

I don't believe they officially admitted antenna design problems either.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Now we're at the point where you want something to be "officially admitted".

It was addressed. Period.

No no. I am not in a mob demanding anything. That was a response to Sean.

I think Apple is doing/did the right thing. It is the interpretation of their motives that is in debate.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe they officially admitted antenna design problems either.

You believed wrong...(shocking)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2010/07/02Letter-from-Apple-Regarding-iPhone-4/#mn_p

...to compare, here is Apple's response to "Bendgate"...

Our iPhones are designed, engineered and manufactured to be both beautiful and sturdy. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus feature a precision engineered unibody enclosure constructed from machining a custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength. They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. We chose these high-quality materials and construction very carefully for their strength and durability.

We also perform rigorous tests throughout the entire development cycle including 3-point bending, pressure point cycling, sit, torsion, and user studies. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus meet or exceed all of our high quality standards to endure everyday, real life use.

...essentially echoing what we've been saying in this thread that you've tried to counter over and over again.

Your interpretation of the use of the higher grade aluminum is misguided and assumptive.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Nice! Thanks for providing me with this about the antenna. It matches today's situation.

They denied problem initially, then put out this statement saying it was software Then gave everyone FREE bumpers - how much did that cost? And whatever was that for? To help with the software issue?

The bending response of only 9 people came out really fast. I bet they hadn't felt the full impact yet.

I don't care if they publicly respond. I only care about the design and that they help their customers. They are clearly doing both.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't care if they publicly respond. I only care about the design and that they help their customers. They are clearly doing both.

They always do with every iPhone...the iPhone wouldn't sell like it does if there weren't improvements on new iterations for the customer.

And you only don't care because you now see the reality of it.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You believed wrong...(shocking)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2010/07/02Letter-from-Apple-Regarding-iPhone-4/#mn_p

...to compare, here is Apple's response to "Bendgate"...

...essentially echoing what we've been saying in this thread that you've tried to counter over and over again.

Your interpretation of the use of the higher grade aluminum is misguided and assumptive.

If I remember reading correctly, Steve Jobs flew back to Cupertino in the middle of his family vacation in Hawaii to address antennagate.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess I have to get a new iPhone 6s Plus....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440898406.043958.jpg

"Bendgate" happened to me tonight

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh