What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
It is a sad for Note fans but who knows, perhaps some will hop over to iOS. I'm just happy that my Note 4 is in like-new condition. Gotta keep it that way as it may be the last of the great Samsung phones for a while.

I should get a Note 4. While I can still find it new....

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I should get a Note 4. While I can still find it new....

I think so, especially since I think they can even be found with decent discounts/rebates. If your Note 3 has Lollipop how is the S Pen doing in S Note now? Mine didn't behave so good after it got the Lollipop update.

That's one thing I haven't had to worry about with iOS. The updates haven't borked anything on my iPhones (that I've noticed).

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

S6 has a 1440 x 2560 pixels. iPhone 6 has only 1334x750 or 720p. It would cost Apple an extra $20 more a phone to match the Galaxy S6 but 1080p would cost around $6 more per phone to increase the screen resolution to HD quality.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It's official the s6 is a sales flop, don't see why the iPhone would need to compete with it.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

S6 has a 1440 x 2560 pixels. iPhone 6 has only 1334x750 or 720p. It would cost Apple an extra $20 more a phone to match the Galaxy S6 but 1080p would cost around $6 more per phone to increase the screen resolution to HD quality.

It would cost the iPhone battery life with no real benefit. The iPhone 6's display is already crystal clear and some folks complain about its battery. Lots of folks complain about the S6's battery. The Android Central forums are ripe with it.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

It would cost the iPhone battery life with no real benefit. The iPhone 6's display is already crystal clear and some folks complain about its battery. Lots of folks complain about the S6's battery. The Android Central forums are ripe with it.

Exactly. I don't want a 2k display if it's going to slow performance and eat the battery. The iPhone 6's display is already great as it is. Sure, would I like to see higher resolution? Yes, but not at the expense of battery life or performance.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think so, especially since I think they can even be found with decent discounts/rebates. If your Note 3 has Lollipop how is the S Pen doing in S Note now? Mine didn't behave so good after it got the Lollipop update.

That's one thing I haven't had to worry about with iOS. The updates haven't borked anything on my iPhones (that I've noticed).

I've been running a custom ROM on it since the day I got it. I think it's running a Kit Kat stock modified ROM called Jedi Elite.

It works amazing, I haven't messed with it except once or twice if the ROM got updated substantially.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Exactly. I don't want a 2k display if it's going to slow performance and eat the battery. The iPhone 6's display is already great as it is. Sure, would I like to see higher resolution? Yes, but not at the expense of battery life or performance.

While I think those 2K and 4K displays are nice, some of them give me a headache. This laptop I'd bought new got returned because it gave me extreme eye strain... =\

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think what Apple needs to do compete against not just the S6 but Android in general is to allow some customization. Say...themes. Allow themes for iOS right out of the box. No jailbreak needed. A theme could include icon sets and fonts. That would go such a long way to appeasing a lot of people. Not interested? Don't theme. Apple should implement this and there would be tons of themes created. If Apple has to strengthen iOS to support themes, then so be it. God rest his soul, Steve Jobs is gone and in IMO so should be limitations he envisioned.

I would love themes like back in the day of the old BlackBerry glory days. They kept the devices fresh. Last time full themes were possible were in the days of the 9800.

I'd LOVE themes like those on my iPhone, out of the box.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to be honest, I like my Note 4 a lot. I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about the Note 5 depending on what it does and doesn't have. I'm pretty sure, though, that I'll like the 6 Plus' replacement. I may end up with both, we'll just have to see.

Sent from the Elegance

Yup, right with you. I love my Note 4 but I love my iPhone better than anything out there.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Someone said this a few pages back, but it seems like Samsung has to play mind games to get people to buy their stuff. Every samsung commercial i see (especially around an iPhone release) is "we do this and this...ya know...unlike those OTHER PHONES...(insert obvious iPhone here)"

I've never once seen apple go after someone else blatantly in their advertising (recently about phones i mean. i know they did the mac vs pc ads a while ago). they just present their product. done.

The recent Apple ads are snarky in their implied attacks. If you honestly watch an iphone commercial and don't realize they are attacking the competition then the advertising team did its job, but they are attacking the competition. "If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone" it says it all. It says our camera isn't as good nor is the battery life and we add features at a snail's pace and said NFC was evil until it wasn't.

Long time Apple user, but not fooled by the man behind the curtain.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Long time Apple user, but not fooled by the man behind the curtain.

You're not "fooled"? What does that even mean? Apple's advertising is trying to fool anyone, it's very in your face about feeling their product is top of the food chain, and to a substantial amount of people, it most certainly is. Their marketing team is focused on making people feel the iPhone is the device to buy by making it seem exclusive, sexy and cool...the hardware itself simply retains the customers (and it has done that well, for almost a decade now).

The last sentence of that first paragraph was actually hilarious...I don't even really need to directly respond to it because I think you know it was a load of BS as well, and you said it.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

I felt horrible after looking at the Note 5. Antennae lines, looks like my iPhone. Curved glass, wow looks like my iPhone. No removable battery, again like my iPhone. No SD card, really.... Like my iPhone!

Add to no 128GB version, and I'm so over Samsung it's not even funny anymore.

I was one of those people who supported Samsung in saying "No way, they are doing their own thing. That lawsuit is BS.". Now I'm thinking if another lawsuit popped up, I wouldn't even be surprised... At all.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

I felt horrible after looking at the Note 5. Antennae lines, looks like my iPhone. Curved glass, wow looks like my iPhone. No removable battery, again like my iPhone. No SD card, really.... Like my iPhone!

Add to no 128GB version, and I'm so over Samsung it's not even funny anymore.

I was one of those people who supported Samsung in saying "No way, they are doing their own thing. That lawsuit is BS.". Now I'm thinking if another lawsuit popped up, I wouldn't even be surprised... At all.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk.

Damn, it's that bad ??? I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm gonna go check it out when best buy opens now.

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus  using Tapatalk

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
It was horrible, it just reminded me of a S6. Nothing really changed. I'll definitely keep my note 4

Sent from my iPhone 6Plus  using Tapatalk