What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple's restrictive and highly oppressive grip on iOS takes the fun out sometimes. I hope that helps.

And yet it is the "restrictive and highly oppressive grip on iOS" that makes it a safe and secure platform for those with no interest in jailbreaking. There are definitely times when issues arise, but by and large, iOS is more secure because of Apple's "walled garden" approach. And for the majority of users, it does still "just work".

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Out of the box, the iPhone is limited on customizations because it's made to run efficiently for the 95% of users who don't care about these tinkering functions...they just want the device to be optimized, efficient and reliable, and that is exactly what Apple delivers

Perfectly describes me. Whether it is watching a baseball game, updating an Excel spreadsheet, checking email, or mirroring a PowerPoint through my classroom AppleTV, I require reliability and efficiency. My iPhone delivers every time. As long as Apple produces iPhones that out of the box meet 95% of their customers phone needs, the company is going to continue to be the top player in the mobile device industry.

Mike4apple

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Android is not always lagging behind the Apple, the title you said, What does Apple need to do to compete better new S6 and S6 Edge, in fact lots of Android devices are better than iPhones or iPads in hardware configuration, higher definition, NFC, multiple core CPU. Personally I think those Android phones made the development of cell phone hardware. Apple needs to improve its hardware, but it haven't take any radical actions.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Android is not always lagging behind the Apple, the title you said, What does Apple need to do to compete better new S6 and S6 Edge, in fact lots of Android devices are better than iPhones or iPads in hardware configuration, higher definition, NFC, multiple core CPU. Personally I think those Android phones made the development of cell phone hardware. Apple needs to improve its hardware, but it haven't take any radical actions.

Apple doesn't need to drastically improve hardware to match the spec sheets of many Android phones. If a dual core iPhone with 1 GB of RAM performs as well, if not better, than a quad/hexa/octa core Android phone with 2-3 GB of RAM, why would they need to upgrade? Playing the spec comparison game between the iPhone and Android phones is an exercise in futility.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I think what Apple needs to do compete against not just the S6 but Android in general is to allow some customization. Say...themes. Allow themes for iOS right out of the box. No jailbreak needed. A theme could include icon sets and fonts. That would go such a long way to appeasing a lot of people. Not interested? Don't theme. Apple should implement this and there would be tons of themes created. If Apple has to strengthen iOS to support themes, then so be it. God rest his soul, Steve Jobs is gone and in IMO so should be limitations he envisioned.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You are very, very confused. I'm not even sure you understand what you are responding to.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I think what Apple needs to do compete against not just the S6 but Android in general is to allow some customization. Say...themes. Allow themes for iOS right out of the box. No jailbreak needed. A theme could include icon sets and fonts. That would go such a long way to appeasing a lot of people. Not interested? Don't theme. Apple should implement this and there would be tons of themes created. If Apple has to strengthen iOS to support themes, then so be it. God rest his soul, Steve Jobs is gone and in IMO so should be limitations he envisioned.

A theme feature, like the one in Sense 7 on the One M9, would be great. I personally love the look of iOS, but for those that want some customization, I don't think it would hurt to have themes.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I'm trying to figure out if whatever it is you're on is really good stuff or if you got completely ripped off.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

I normally don't get involved inwhich toy/car/smartphone/ect. is better than the next, but when I'm out and about in the "REAL WORLD", I see more iPhones than Androids or any other platform for that matter everywhere I go. That alone tells me who's actually trying to play "catch up" and the ones that don't have iPhone stare with envy. Androids are good smartphones for some, and iPhones are good for others and Blackberry, Windows ect. are good for who wants them.. Everyone and I mean everyone uses their phone differently. I choose to use iPhones because that's what works BEST for ME....It's really just that simple.....Just my .02 cents.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

I normally don't get involved inwhich toy/car/smartphone/ect. is better than the next, but when I'm out and about in the "REAL WORLD", I see more iPhones than Androids or any other platform for that matter everywhere I go. That alone tells me who's actually trying to play "catch up" and the ones that don't have iPhone stare with envy. Androids are good smartphones for some, and iPhones are good for others and Blackberry, Windows ect. are good for who wants them.. Everyone and I mean everyone uses their phone differently. I choose to use iPhones because that's what works BEST for ME....It's really just that simple.....Just my .02 cents.

I could not have said better!
"Which phone is better?" varies on individual preferences.
And because I prefer iOS does not mean the other ones are crap, haha XD
I am a VW gal, even if some might not like them. What matters is that I do =)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

And because I prefer iOS does not mean the other ones are crap, haha XD
I am a VW gal, even if some might not like them. What matters is that I do =)

'Nuf said...

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know but I do know my Note 3 will be the last I buy if they make the Note without a removable battery and expandable memory.

Samsung is making me mad by removing those trademark features I love.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

And because I prefer iOS does not mean the other ones are crap

Actually, I'd put it another way:

Samsung phones are hot pieces of garbage that I will never touch. To me, they are absolutely crap. I will not be convinced otherwise, and in my mind, I am absolutely right.

However, a Samsung fan would likely disagree and might even think my phone of choice is crap. And, in his own mind, he is right.

But you know what? We don't have to agree about what is crap and what isn't crap. We're two different people; it's okay for us to have two different opinions. My opinion that Samsung is crap should not affect others' self esteem, so they shouldn't be mad. It's not a personal attack; it's an opinion about a phone.

Now, if someone is so wrapped up in their phone that they can't separate an opinion about a phone/OEM from a personal attack, then that's their problem...

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Actually, I'd put it another way:

Samsung phones are hot pieces of garbage that I will never touch. To me, they are absolutely crap. I will not be convinced otherwise, and in my mind, I am absolutely right.

However, a Samsung fan would likely disagree and might even think my phone of choice is crap. And, in his own mind, he is right.

But you know what? We don't have to agree about what is crap and what isn't crap. We're two different people; it's okay for us to have two different opinions. My opinion that Samsung is crap should not affect others' self esteem, so they shouldn't be mad. It's not a personal attack; it's an opinion about a phone.

Now, if someone is so wrapped up in their phone that they can't separate an opinion about a phone/OEM from a personal attack, then that's their problem...

I used to be a Samsung fan... But it didn't last.
Personally I think deep down, my brain works better with IOS than Android, period.
But while I was easily dazzled by Samsung's bells and whistles, I found zero consistency in their system.
Every software update was a nightmare.
Eventually I made the full switch after hopping between Apple, Samsung, Motorola and even Blackberry and I couldn't be happier.

Yet... I often meet people who swear by Android and absolutely adore their Samsung phones, so obviously, Samsung has its niche of customers.
... I just don't find daily software induced headaches to be the ideal turn on, though. ;)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have to be honest, I like my Note 4 a lot. I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about the Note 5 depending on what it does and doesn't have. I'm pretty sure, though, that I'll like the 6 Plus' replacement. I may end up with both, we'll just have to see.

Sent from the Elegance

ultravisitor

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

Why is it that you choose iPhones because those are what works best for you while others with Android phones "stare with envy"? That's unfair. Why isn't it that many Android people are also choosing what works best for them?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This will be my last post in this thread of mine is better than yours. All I have to say is, "more Android users are switching to Apple than any other time in history". Hummm, I wonder why?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
This will be my last post in this thread of mine is better than yours. All I have to say is, "more Android users are switching to Apple than any other time in history". Hummm, I wonder why?

At least it is not "Mine is bigger than yours", and yes, device wise ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner