What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

Anyone that doesn't think apple is competing with Samsung is fooling themselves. Had apple not been trying to really compete with them you wouldn’t have seen the 6s model. That was a direct attack at Samsung, which owned the oversized phone market. While some think that apple can continue doing what they are doing and they will be fine. I beg to differ; Apple has to continue pushing the boundaries as they have with the 6 and 6 plus. Who really thinks the iPhone 6 would have been as big of a hit had apple stuck with their 4-inch model. Ironically I believe apples biggest competitor is it. no other oem can touch apples numbers nor can they come close to apples brand loyalty. Apple cant let is stagnating as it has with the ipad (were they are loosing sales and market share). But how does apple combat this, ios is a huge ship to steer, and apple cant implement radical changes without alienating their loyal following. I believe apple can do a lot of things to freshen up the looks of ios the basic interface hasn’t really changed since 06(its overdue in my opinion). So I will leave it as apple is their biggest competitor and unless they push new ideas they will seriously hurt themselves.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

Every year they push new ideas...and every year they do exactly the opposite of hurting themselves.

iPad sales are following the overall tablet market in decline. It's nothing focused on the iPad itself...ALL tablets on the market are seeing declining sales. The only ones that are seeing increases are ones that blur the line between tablet and netbook...which is why I feel Apple re-released the entry Macbook model.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

One area where Samsung is nowhere near the same league as Apple is customer service.
Apple CS was far from perfect for me during the time of IOS7 which is why I went to Samsung.
And when I got screwed over by Samsung, I got riproaringly bent over!

When I came back to Apple, whatever issues has been going on, in terms of software or CS had been fixed.
So yes, the glitzy Android bells and whistles were downright knee buckling cool, at first.
Add to that a software update trying to negotiate TouchWiz and the souffl? turns into a moldy Poptart, basically.

Who copied who? Did anyone copy anyone? I don't care.
All I know is Apple has fixed several issues I had, and when my Note 3 fell apart following the (forced) Kitkat update, Samsung was nowhere.

So I'm on Apple ecosystem for all my devices, home and mobile, I have zero issues, I don't miss my Samsung devices at all though I am mildly annoyed that I wasted time and money on them.

Does that make me an iSheep?
Well, in the eyes of trolls with way to much free time on their hands, I suppose it does.
In the eyes of regular people with fulfilling lives, functioning brains and good breeding, it makes me just a regular person who's finally found a system that works for her, imagine that.

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Ok I agree with you Apple has implemented new thoughts and ideas every new release. While all aren't perfect they are usually well thought out and work well. But in my opinion iOS is a huge slow moving ship. While they have filled in most of the missing gaps and given us great things. Their are huge basic things that could be addressed like the missing document picker being one simple example( I don't want full file system access nor do I believe it's needed). The lack of movement on the springboard being another. While every single part of iOS has changed and advanced since the release of iOS the springboard has gotten what folder support. Now on to the iPad I believe Apple has a huge chance with the iPad they have the basics in place. In my opinion the iPad needs to move closer to the netbooks if Apple wants the iPad to have a fighting chance. Media consumption is just not enough to keep it going and the basic iOS doesn't have enough function to come close to the power of those netbooks. But that's just my opinion I could be wrong and far off the point. So when I say Apple is its own biggest competitor I mean they have to be able to move on separate fronts quickly and be able to truly differentiate their product lineups. I won't even speak on those that refuse to upgrade to a new iPhone due to size issues and the poor layout of the os for those people( reachability is a poor work around for something as simple as moving the back button. One quick fix for the back button is to use the dead space beside the home button and make a gesture area. Something as simple as a swipe up from the gesture area can enable back. Which would eliminate the hand gymnastics for some while using these phones.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
@thebizz - I disagree with your opinions, but I enjoy how you present them.
Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, thebizz... For me the whole point of a tablet is to do away with the keyboard, if I want a keyboard, I take my MacBook with me.
Also, Apple has been criticized for bringing out features that Android and other platforms have had for at least 2 years and touting them as new... But it's not being first, that should matter, it's being right:
By the time Apple came out with Apple Pay, for example, it was secure from the start and worked flawlessly.
I never felt comfortable using Google Wallet, however.

So I don't think of Apple as a huge, slow moving ship...
I see Apple as a huge, furiously fast working giant ant farm, where they test and retest a product to make sure it's right before they release it.
... With the exception of IOS7.
:p

And another thing is Apple is not MS, Windows, Google or Android.
Apple is Apple.
Why should they strive to work like their competitors?

I've had several Samsung tablets in the past, I've seen people use net books, I can assure you, Apple would gain nothing by going that route.
You can already add a keyboard case to your iPad if you wish to, that's not new.

But Apple customers stay loyal to Apple precisely because Apple is Apple. :)

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, thebizz... For me the whole point of a tablet is to do away with the keyboard, if I want a keyboard, I take my MacBook with me.
Also, Apple has been criticized for bringing out features that Android and other platforms have had for at least 2 years and touting them as new... But it's not being first, that should matter, it's being right:
By the time Apple came out with Apple Pay, for example, it was secure from the start and worked flawlessly.
I never felt comfortable using Google Wallet, however.

So I don't think of Apple as a huge, slow moving ship...
I see Apple as a huge, furiously fast working giant ant farm, where they test and retest a product to make sure it's right before they release it.
... With the exception of IOS7.
:p

And another thing is Apple is not MS, Windows, Google or Android.
Apple is Apple.
Why should they strive to work like their competitors?

I've had several Samsung tablets in the past, I've seen people use net books, I can assure you, Apple would gain nothing by going that route.
You can already add a keyboard case to your iPad if you wish to, that's not new.

But Apple customers stay loyal to Apple precisely because Apple is Apple. :)

I won't get into the copying thing because u can care less about it everyone uses everyone's ideas( look at webos and cards. Everyone uses it now) as far as Apple being a slow moving ship when it comes to features I generally don't have an issue with it. When Apple releases a new feature it is usually well thought out and it works. Nor do I want Apple to copy everyone on the market or do what everyone is doing. Personally I love their approach to security and a lot of the things they are doing. But that's not to say that Apple couldn't add in features to their os done in an Apple kind of way that's both easy and intuitive for users( come on that's what they do best). You don't want to give us full file system support cool give me a document picker so which could prove to add functionality and keep iOS as secure as they want it. Apple may not want to redesign the os to move the back button. Then engineer a swipe gesture that eliminates the need to reach to the top of our phones for a frequently used feature( sans case the IP6 is a slippery beast). As far as the iPad simply adding functionality could easily allow it to differentiate itself from the iPhone ( loosing the large iPhone stigma with it) and allow them to better set the device up to bridge the gap between it and the MacBook. But I'm getting off topic or have been for awhile.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I won't get into the copying thing because u can care less about it everyone uses everyone's ideas( look at webos and cards. Everyone uses it now) as far as Apple being a slow moving ship when it comes to features I generally don't have an issue with it. When Apple releases a new feature it is usually well thought out and it works. Nor do I want Apple to copy everyone on the market or do what everyone is doing. Personally I love their approach to security and a lot of the things they are doing. But that's not to say that Apple couldn't add in features to their os done in an Apple kind of way that's both easy and intuitive for users( come on that's what they do best). You don't want to give us full file system support cool give me a document picker so which could prove to add functionality and keep iOS as secure as they want it. Apple may not want to redesign the os to move the back button. Then engineer a swipe gesture that eliminates the need to reach to the top of our phones for a frequently used feature( sans case the IP6 is a slippery beast). As far as the iPad simply adding functionality could easily allow it to differentiate itself from the iPhone ( loosing the large iPhone stigma with it) and allow them to better set the device up to bridge the gap between it and the MacBook. But I'm getting off topic or have been for awhile.

A response so good it needed to be posted twice? It's clearly not a "duplicate post", as the timestamps are almost 30 minutes apart.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Looks like the s6/s6 edge was such a flop that Samsung is thinking about releasing the note 5 early.

whowired ??? ???, ???????, Samsung Electronics release Galaxy Note 5 as early as the end of July

I guess the op finally has his answer.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I believe that you missed it on this one.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Is A Hit: New Production Facility Opened To Meet Demand : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

What would you like him to do? admit it's a failure?

Didn't Samsung deny that the s5 was a flop as well.
We all know how that turned out.

The truth is Galaxy s6 aren't selling and inventory is starting to pile up especially the non edge variant.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

The production facility is for manufacuring oled displays, it's a component facility.

"Adding the production line, known as A3, enables Samsung Display Co. to more than double monthly output to 5 million screens from about 2 million currently, the people said, asking not to be identified as the matter is private. The plant is now online after the company previously planned on using the new factory sometime in June, one of the people said."

Wanna bet that the extra capacity is for the note 5?

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

What would you like him to do? admit it's a failure?

Didn't Samsung deny that the s5 was a flop as well.
We all know how that turned out.

The truth is Galaxy s6 aren't selling and inventory is starting to pile up especially the non edge variant.

Keep believing that if you want to. All indications are that the S6 is selling like hot cakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

The production facility is for manufacuring oled displays, it's a component facility.

"Adding the production line, known as A3, enables Samsung Display Co. to more than double monthly output to 5 million screens from about 2 million currently, the people said, asking not to be identified as the matter is private. The plant is now online after the company previously planned on using the new factory sometime in June, one of the people said."

Wanna bet that the extra capacity is for the note 5?

and in order to meet consumer demand, Samsung has opened a third production facility to build the Galaxy S6 Edge's display.

A new report from Bloomberg claims that Samsung has added a new production line, known as A3, which will allow Samsung to more than double the monthly output of Galaxy S6 Edge displays from two million per month to five million screens per month.

Kinda selective in quoting the text, huh? It specifically states the S6 Edge.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site

Have to say though, recently been in the USA. Most phones i see to peoples ears are iPhones! They really have the market in the US. Called in to a Apple shop to steal their wifi lol and a look, the one near Central Park, and the place was buzzing! It was busier than any shop in 5th Ave lol..

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

and in order to meet consumer demand, Samsung has opened a third production facility to build the Galaxy S6 Edge's display.

A new report from Bloomberg claims that Samsung has added a new production line, known as A3, which will allow Samsung to more than double the monthly output of Galaxy S6 Edge displays from two million per month to five million screens per month.

Kinda selective in quoting the text, huh? It specifically states the S6 Edge.

Not really, I quoted the source.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elerate-curved-s6-edge-output-as-demand-soars.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner