What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I saw both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge and played around with it for about 15 minutes and it quite the smartphone in terms of looks and quality. It super fast and has a great screen with unbelievable clarity that makes my iPhone look not so sharp!

What do you think Apple will do to counter the new Samsung Galaxy for the iPhone 6S or possibly iPhone 7 if they decide to skip the same case and go with something new?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 E...

Your thread question is misleading and gives the impression that Apple is not selling well in comparison to Samsung, and we all know that to be untrue. In fact, it is Samsung that is upping its game to better compete with Apple. Having said that, I actually had the opportunity to play with Samsung's latest flagship devices. With the exception of the curved glass, it looked like an iPhone 6. It's display is beautiful but the curved edge felt gimmicky and I didn't find any real benefit to it. Anyway, to answer your question of "what does Apple need to do to compete better with the new Samsung S6 and S6 Edge?", I'd say, as Bigeric23 has already stated, nothing. Just keep being Apple.

Last edited:

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
They don't need to do anything--just keep being Apple.

I second this. Continue down the same road, don't even talk about Samsung, don't give them the attention they seek. It's been going very well for Apple and less dandy for Samsung, will be interesting to see if the new Galaxy really kickstarts them. I read a lot about poor battery life and still lag... wonder how true that is but it might hurt their sales in the long run.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Do you understand what the word "compete" means?

If you don't, I'd advise going and looking it up, so that you'll understand why most people laughed at your title.

If you do understand what the word means, I'd have to question what exactly your logic was in posting this...Apple, by definition, is the superior smart phone manufacturer in almost every facet you could define such outside of opinionated preferences.

The more appropriate question would be how other smart phone manufacturers could better compete with Apple, because as it sits right now, Apple has set the bar with a device that they could still improve in so many ways that they've pretty much secured market dominance for several generations to come. The beauty of having an imperfect device that is still top tier and most importantly, well accepted.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the general context of the question. Yes, Apple is the undisputed high-end mobile king, but I actually think Apple's true strength is the ability to adjust and still stay true to its innate design paradigms.

It takes a smart company to apply changes at the right time. IMHO, Apple has done this well.

One thing I do hope is that Apple doesn't offer too many devices concurrently.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple needs to continue to cater to its customers as it develops products that answer a want we didn't even know we had.

I didn't know I wanted a digital music player and Apple gave me an iPod.
I didn't know I wanted a tablet and Apple gave me an iPad.
I didn't know I wanted to pay at Starbucks with my phone and Apple gave me Apple Pay.
I didn't know I wanted an ecosystem to tie eveything together along with my iPhone, and Apple gave me the best ecosystem for me.

Apple needs to continue to see where the next opportunity will be and then create a product for it. Those of us who are happy and fully satisfied with Apple's products will get their next products. Regardless of Samsung or HTC or LG or Microsoft or....ha....BlackBerry.

And if you take a look at the Samsung SG6, it is a flat out copy of the iPhone 6.

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I think what Samsung need to do is brainwash people into thinking they make the greatest phones so that people will buy them.

I have a Moto X 2014, Note 4, Blackberry Passport, Nokia 925, 1020, 1520 and an iPhone 6 and they all have their own parts that one is better than the others. I wouldn't ever think that iPhone is the best phone overall mainly because of how Apple goes about things like Bluetooth and so on plus they are playing catchup on thinks like nfc and notification light or even better glance screen like windows and Moto X but they do make a great phone. It is not without faults though and anyone who says it is is either fooling themselves or bulls****ing. I had an S6 edge for just over two weeks and I didn't like it and I think the edge bit could have been implemented much better(as it was on the note edge)

The iPhone is a simple phone for people that don't want to tinker with what they have. I couldn't do with just an iPhone because I like to change think about but for now I'm enjoying it.

I see people being very quick to say Samsung copied the iPhone with the S6 but i wonder if they are as quick to admit that Apple copied the HTC M7?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
No problem. Apple copied the bands in the back on the HTC M7. Doesn't negate my previous statement.

As to what makes a device perfect, that's purely subjective. You mentioned Apple was playing catch up on things like nfc and notification light. Well, on nfc my bank did not participate until Apple Pay so it took Apple to develop the partnerships to make that happen. As far as a notification light is concerned, I don't need nor want one. And as far as a glance screen, I like what I've got one lock and glance screens.

Therefore, for me, the iPhone is the perfect device. I can't wait to see what they come up with in coming years, since I see myself getting the next generation....and the next, and the next, and the next.

You may label the iPhone a simple phone. I label it a dependable phone. I like that I don't have to go hunting around for menus; rather the design of the OS is laid out in such a way that it is intuitive. Example - I still frequently get lost finding settings or options on my Note 4. Ditto for my Lumia 1520.

Would I like to tinker? Not anymore. There was a time when smartphones were new and I didn't have as complicated a day as I do now that I liked to tinker. Now I just want to have a dependable device. This, Apple gives me.

So see.....a perfect phone does exist. Actually, many many perfect phones exist. Dependent upon the needs and desires of the end user. The iPhone is the perfect phone for this end user.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I saw both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge and played around with it for about 15 minutes and it quite the smartphone in terms of looks and quality. It super fast and has a great screen with unbelievable clarity that makes my iPhone look not so sharp!

What do you think Apple will do to counter the new Samsung Galaxy for the iPhone 6S or possibly iPhone 7 if they decide to skip the same case and go with something new?

The Galaxy s6 isn't selling very well to begin with, why would apple emulate them?

In regards to anyone claiming apple copied htc radio bands, that is categorically false. Apple statered it with the iPhone 4.

f313bfe76bb8ddfa535661d1f61fd5b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think what Samsung need to do is brainwash people into thinking they make the greatest phones so that people will buy them.

The iPhone is a simple phone for people that don't want to tinker with what they have. I couldn't do with just an iPhone because I like to change think about but for now I'm enjoying it.

I see people being very quick to say Samsung copied the iPhone with the S6 but i wonder if they are as quick to admit that Apple copied the HTC M7?

Brainwashing...lol. Cute insinuation.

The iPhone is perfectly suited for tinkerers (via a jailbreak). This seems to be something most people who are not familiar with the iPhone forget...and it's always strange to me since most people root their Android based devices to fully set it up to their customized liking.

Lastly, are we really going to get on the "who copied who" train? There are a couple of similar design cues between the iPhone and the HTC One, but let's face it...the new S6 is almost plagiarism.

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy s6 isn't selling very well to begin with, why would apple emulate them?

In regards to anyone claiming apple copied htc radio bands, that is categorically false. Apple statered it with the iPhone 4.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

You tell yourself that if it makes you feel better ��

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW